Where this white rubber ring should go?

vbimport

My SH224-BB DVD-drive didn´t read discs anymore and I decided to take this thing apart. Now when I got the case off, some white rubber ring just fell out and I can´t figure out if it´s the right place for it: http://i.imgur.com/9K30iXi.jpg? I have tried it like that and it just fells off again.

Have you tried to burn a CD or DVD recently? Did the ring come from a new pack of discs?

Try to remove the ring and try again.

No, I haven´t used the drive for a while and I know this ring is supposed to be in there, but I don´t know if there was some glue or something that holded the ring in place.

That looks like the ones that they put on the bottom of the stack so that the discs dont touch the bottom, would remove that from the drive and everything should be back to normal.

[QUOTE=vroom;2784586]That looks like the ones that they put on the bottom of the stack so that the discs dont touch the bottom, would remove that from the drive and everything should be back to normal.[/QUOTE]
:iagree: Looks like a foam packing ring alright. At a guess, probably one of the extra thin ones used with CMC-made Verbatims. It’s all to easy not to notice one stuck to the bottom of a disc by static.

As Vroom said, remove it and hopefully everything will be OK again.

It definitely [I]doesn’t[/I] belong in the drive.

Thanks guys, I really thought it was necessary for the drive. But can somebody then explain what could be the reason of that drive doesn’t recognize discs. It tries to read them and then after 2 seconds it dies out and so again.

Every time the tray closes, optical drives spin the disc motor briefly and activate the optical pickup to find out whether a disc is present. If the optical pickup cannot read a disc the motor is stopped.

Try cleaning the lens of the optical pickup. The best method is to use a cotton bud moistened with a couple of drops of isopropyl alcohol. Be gentle, there is a risk of scratching the lens.

If that doesn’t work, check carefully to see if an internal cable has been dislodged (most likely the ribbon cable connecting the optical pickup to the main board).

Å‘nn kaasa.

I tried cleaning the lens with distilled water, because I don’t have isopropyl alcohol. I also disassembled the ribbon cable and then assembled it again. It still won’t read discs. Is it possible to start computer without the drive case and then see what could be the problem? The little pipe where the lens mechanism is riding, maybe it needs some lubricant or what can you say about that?

It is possible to open the drive & power the computer on, yes. I do not advise it, but it is possible.

Do not try to put a disc in the drive while it is open. There is a magnetic clamp in the lid of the drive which keeps the disc in place. Without the lid, the disc will fly out & potentially cause more damage.

You can see if the motor still tries to spin, and see if the optical pickup moves back & forth while checking for a disc.

In these constructions often fails worm gear laser control (
Stepping Motor\Stepper Motor)[LEFT]

Total disintegration of gear Asus ( DRW24F1ST a) clone of similar design.

[/LEFT]

[QUOTE=Albert;2784637]It is possible to open the drive & power the computer on, yes. I do not advise it, but it is possible.

Do not try to put a disc in the drive while it is open. There is a magnetic clamp in the lid of the drive which keeps the disc in place. Without the lid, the disc will fly out & potentially cause more damage.

You can see if the motor still tries to spin, and see if the optical pickup moves back & forth while checking for a disc.[/QUOTE]
There should also be a quick flash from the laser diode in the optical pickup when it looks for a disc.

Should also mention… Caution: Don’t look directly at the laser.

I´ve cleaned the lens several times, checked all the cables, made sure that the upper part of the drive sits correctly on, but now the drive won´t start at all. I put on a disc and then I see the laser sends one signal, but disc won´t start rounding.

If that is a gum ring I think it belongs on the spindle to improve spindle/disk contact. Maybe use a drop of glue to fix it in place.

make sure it sits absolutely plain or the disk spins wobbly

I think we’ve reached a new issue where the spindle motor no longer works at all, Millennium. That’s assuming I’ve read correctly.

Which means it’s almost worthwhile to buy a new drive, if that’s possible. I don’t think many end-users can repair a busted motor.

Yep, Albert, it’s a ~$20 drive here, okay, not much but depending on how long it lasts it can be expensive too… I have become cautious with Samsung products.

I have a SH-224DB here, still mounted in my tower, which was hardly used but is died pretty quick not reading any disks any more but the motor still spins. I had 2 of these drives… one of it was replaced with an -224FB and the second one died a week later.

Samsung turned serious crap!