Where is the official firmware update site for NEC 2500A?

It used to be here

Try here http://www.necd.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557 .
No 2500 firmwares have been posted there to date, but they’ll come :wink:

Hi dlogidur

I read about your problem with reading dvd not burned by nec 2500. I have the same problem, I receive cyclic redundance error and a common dvd reader reads it with no prob.

Did u solve it ? I’m trying different firmware if it helps but till now anything

Bye

Hi k03n,

Looks like NEC has a very low tolerance for not perfect burned media and/or poor error correction system. Now I realize that my Pioneer 104 didn’t do perfect burns on both Optodiscs and Ritek G03 that I used, now I understand why my movies use to hang while playing in my laptop even tough they work find on all of my 4 DVD player. I doubt if a new firmware will have better error correction.
It may not be an issue any more since everything that I burned with NEC read and works fine. I used Memorex 4X -R and Ritek G04 and both read perfect on NEC.

I have some issues with Princo -RW. Sometimes NEC will give unrecoverable read error towards the end of the disc but it will play fine on my DVD players. So no worries, just seat back and enjoy you NEC.

:wink:

Looks like NEC has a very low tolerance for not perfect burned media and/or poor error correction system.

I too have this problem. But, if all NEC’s have this issue I wonder why no one else has mentioned it? I bought my drive from NewEgg a week ago, and I wonder if they just sent out a bad batch.

I’m getting a ton of these errors in my events folder “pagefileconfig” when I put in a disk that the NEC has problems reading…

Warnng: An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation

Are you getting any of these errors?

BTW, Ive found this drive has no tolerance for disks with finger prints on them…I have to specially clean every disk before the drive will read it.

That is, no fault tolerance at all… Maybe future firmware upgrades will solve it. Reading a TX ( Think Xtra ) DVD burned at 2x with a TX Galaxy Burner ( consider that they both really sucks, the burner and the disc ) I noticed that :

A) If i try to COPY the files burned in the external area of the dvd ( the end of the disc ) to hard disk I receive redundance error.

B) If I try to READ them directly from the DVD with BSPLAYER ( they are some .avi files ) I can read them much more easily, almost probably with no stops / errors

C) Reading the same dvd with a LITEON dvd reader no problem at all, just some falls of the transfer rate ( symptom that the dvd has some serious data related issues … )

P.S.
I think nobody mentioned it beacuse most part of the people use the Nec2500 to burn and not to read

can you check your event folder run -> pagefileconfig for this error?

Warnng: An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation

Yes I have the same error in the event logger, logged every 1-2 seconds about \Device\CdRom0 during the tries of reading

What happened to the firmware?..they dont even mention they make this drive anywere anymore…like they just" jumped ship"…repeated e-mail’s…no response…there support seems to really suck…e-mailed plextor yesterday and they replied in 2 minutes!!

Lets put it this way: A disc may contain a PiPo Errorrate of max 290 to be readable, some drives are adjusted to accept a bit more, but NEC keeps themselves strictly to the specifications! I wouldn’t considder this a bad thing though!