Where is the bin to flash TSST TS-L633L on HP laptop?

I have been unsuccessful in burning any movie dvd because of the pauses and skips on my HP laptop with a TSST TS-L633L drive. The firmware on it is 0400 and Samsung has an update to SC03. The update is an .exe file and LiveUpdate from SamsungODD.com says my HP is not supported. (I’m guessing it’s because it is tagged as HM rather than with Samsung’s tag.) Vista says the update .exe file is not a valid .exe or a .bin file. How can I get the .bin file or change the tag on the drive? TSDNWIN will only accept .bin after opening with the -NOCHECK option.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=wod661;2232156]I have been unsuccessful in burning any movie dvd because of the pauses and skips on my HP laptop with a TSST TS-L633L drive. The firmware on it is 0400 and Samsung has an update to SC03. [/quote]This is a rather new drive in a new laptop, so I assume warranty is still valid. Instead of voiding any warranty by crossflashing your drive to a different firmware, you should prefer to complain the poor performance of your drive to HP support.

The update is an .exe file and LiveUpdate from SamsungODD.com says my HP is not supported. (I’m guessing it’s because it is tagged as HM rather than with Samsung’s tag.) Vista says the update .exe file is not a valid .exe or a .bin file. How can I get the .bin file or change the tag on the drive? TSDNWIN will only accept .bin after opening with the -NOCHECK option.
You might read the firmware chapter of the FAQ mentioned in my signature.

Michael

Thank you, Mciahel. You have a fantastic faq that answered all my questions. I’ve read a lot of faqs in the last couple of days, but I just didn’t find this one. Since I’ve found an expert, I have another question. [B]If I don’t get satisfaction from HP on this, is it likely that flashing an update will improve my burning of movies?[/B] I’ve already invested in -R and +R TDK and Verbatim discs as well as trying different burning speeds.

TDK is crap, only use Verbatims.

Hi,[QUOTE=wod661;2232208]Thank you, Mciahel. You have a fantastic faq that answered all my questions. [/quote]:smiley:

[B]If I don’t get satisfaction from HP on this, is it likely that flashing an update will improve my burning of movies?[/B]
I have no idea if things improve with other firmware. I personally own a TS-L632H (Dell OEM), and I found no significant difference in burning quality with Dell OEM and Samsung retail firmware. This might not be necessarily true with your HP firmware. You may try at your own risk. To judge about the quality, you can do some scans (see FAQ) and compare then.

If you want to burn often, you may consider buying an external Half-Height drive. These are more reliable.

I’ve already invested in -R and +R TDK and Verbatim discs as well as trying different burning speeds.
TDK is a great name, but unfortunately they are not different from random supermarket brands :frowning: Stick with Verbatim.

Michael