WHERE in the world is RIPIT?

Wow, we miised his big ad post this week or is it hidden some place else.:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

ripit is probably hard at work, he almost never misses a chance to help out here and post the ads, everyone deserves a little vacation.:wink:

He sometimes posts the ads on Sundays, not just Saturdays.

:wink: ripit is a young man with a family, he will be back.

He’s probably just busy… like me. I haven’t found the time to post much lately.

is that him?

the devil made me do it!

Its been kind of a bad week for me and computers (nothing new but worse than usual). I did some upgrading to the computer in the front room (the htpc), and re did the entire entertainment center (new gigibit router, mounted router ans switch on the side of the entertainment center). So the htpc starts randomly shutting down. After a few days of trouble shooting, I find one of the new ups’s is too small (a bigger one fixed it).

Of course by now, the bedroom computer has started randomly refusing to boot. One of the reasons I got new ups’s is that the baby now knows where the breaker box is. the wife leaves a pile of laundry there big enough for him to climb on, so he likes shutting down the power (and she won’t watch him well enough to prevent it when I’m not home). The bedroom ups is already messed up from him constantly powering it down when I’m not home. Anyway, I just switched to a new motherboard on it about a month ago, and it just died completely (no post of any kind at all). I suspect its from constantly having power to it suddenly killed, but then again, it is a pos ecs board (luckily I’m only out 25$). So after trouble shooting the power supply, memory etc, I swap back to the old MB and all is good with the hardware. Of course windows seems corrupt a little (random programs keep crashing) but its working. so saturday morning, I start on the ads, just to find, the network and internet connection is dead (just to the bedroom computer but thats the one I do the ads on).

I tried for a little while to fix the network connection to the bedroom, but finally got pissed and gave up (I know, you really didn’t need to know all that). I think some better parts might be in order when I get my tax return. As far as the kids destroying it, I cannot stop it when I’m not home. Its in our bedroom and the door locks, but the wife refuses to keep them out. Coming home to a crashed computer (or even cards ripped out of a running computer that didn’t have the case side on) is a too common experience. Its at least going to need a reinstall right away.

At least I know how to do all the work myself (and get plenty of practice, lol).

Take care ripper your luck is bound to get better:flower:

You gotta love the kids n computers combo. Troubleshooting takes on a whole new meaning
when a child is involved. My 3 year old is very curious and loves to play with screwdrivers like daddy does in the computers but the end result is not the same. Good luck, and don’t forget to step back and laugh once in a while. It will allow you to keep your sanity a bit longer.
budzos

The thing I still cannot understand, is how they can just hit a few keys on the keyboard, and next thing you know, they are changing registry entries or disabling a hard drive in computer management. They must be stumbling on hot keys/short cut keys but its amazing how fast they can accidentally get into system settings and such.

[QUOTE=ripit;2210836]The thing I still cannot understand, is how they can just hit a few keys on the keyboard, and next thing you know, they are changing registry entries or disabling a hard drive in computer management. They must be stumbling on hot keys/short cut keys but its amazing how fast they can accidentally get into system settings and such.[/QUOTE]

I understand exactly. My Grandkids bring up menus that I have never seen before. In just seconds. They think it’s a game. To me their seconds can be hours of repair for me. Bless thier little hearts. LOL

Good Luck to you Ripit and Thanks for your hard work.

[QUOTE=ripit;2210836]The thing I still cannot understand, is how they can just hit a few keys on the keyboard, and next thing you know, they are changing registry entries or disabling a hard drive in computer management. They must be stumbling on hot keys/short cut keys but its amazing how fast they can accidentally get into system settings and such.[/QUOTE]

My wife lost all the pictures from my sons 2nd birthday party the day after when he leaned on the keyboard to see what she was doing and wiped them all out.
The pictures he didn’t wipe out he corrupted so badly they couldn’t be recovered. I thought she was going to cry. Then a couple of days later he pulled a bunch of parts out of the inside of the printer and killed that as well. Now the new printer is well out of his reach.
budzos

I have everything in the front room out of reach. All the computers are in or on the top of the entertainment center now (I just moved the older ones computer to the top because the younger one would keep shutting it down). The bedroom is a different story. I have moved most items that are valuable/destroyable to our bedroom as it was supposed to be the safe room with a lock on the door. The wife keeps letting them play in there when I’m not home though, so things are getting destroyed anyway. I don’t think there is room to move the computer up high without some major reorganization of the whole room. There is a small entertainment center in there too, but there are plastic drawers stacked across the top of it, and 3 sets of shelves with valuables up high. It might require some new/replacement furniture. Maybe some sort of shelf that the computer can safely go on top of.

Same here, when the grandkids come we put the child locks on everything and lock the bedroom doors. Last year my grandaughter poured a full cup of blue something on my wool carpet. This was after I said no food and drinks except at the table.:a

I can recommed creating a seperate account for users other than yourself. Make that account a [B]Limited Account[/B] to minimize damages.

You can also use Registry Tweaks to disable critical functions such as Control Panel, Registry and to disable the Internet Properties in Internet Explorer.
You could even remove just the Tabs with critical settings and such.

You could also explore the use of mobile racks to completely isolate your Operating System from that which is used by others.

Yeah, the only user with admin access should be you. The wife and other family members will just have to deal with it. This applies no matter the OS (Linux, OS X, or Windows). A kid can do very little damage with a limited access account. The problem is that people keep creating accounts with admin access, and no functions disabled. That’s a universal no-no.

In fact, I don’t even use an admin account for myself, unless it’s for admin work. You should always leave admin accounts alone and create regular accounts for daily work. That way, even you can’t screw things up as easily.

You can also consider the use of Virtual Machines, to give the kids something to play in and with, but that won’t have any effect on your regular OS.

[QUOTE=ripit;2210804]Its been kind of a bad week for me and computers (nothing new but worse than usual). I did some upgrading to the computer in the front room (the htpc), and re did the entire entertainment center (new gigibit router, mounted router ans switch on the side of the entertainment center). So the htpc starts randomly shutting down. After a few days of trouble shooting, I find one of the new ups’s is too small (a bigger one fixed it).

Of course by now, the bedroom computer has started randomly refusing to boot. One of the reasons I got new ups’s is that the baby now knows where the breaker box is. the wife leaves a pile of laundry there big enough for him to climb on, so he likes shutting down the power (and she won’t watch him well enough to prevent it when I’m not home). The bedroom ups is already messed up from him constantly powering it down when I’m not home. Anyway, I just switched to a new motherboard on it about a month ago, and it just died completely (no post of any kind at all). I suspect its from constantly having power to it suddenly killed, but then again, it is a pos ecs board (luckily I’m only out 25$). So after trouble shooting the power supply, memory etc, I swap back to the old MB and all is good with the hardware. Of course windows seems corrupt a little (random programs keep crashing) but its working. so saturday morning, I start on the ads, just to find, the network and internet connection is dead (just to the bedroom computer but thats the one I do the ads on).

I tried for a little while to fix the network connection to the bedroom, but finally got pissed and gave up (I know, you really didn’t need to know all that). I think some better parts might be in order when I get my tax return. As far as the kids destroying it, I cannot stop it when I’m not home. Its in our bedroom and the door locks, but the wife refuses to keep them out. Coming home to a crashed computer (or even cards ripped out of a running computer that didn’t have the case side on) is a too common experience. Its at least going to need a reinstall right away.

At least I know how to do all the work myself (and get plenty of practice, lol).[/QUOTE]

That’s easily fixed. Just start putting her shoes/clothes etc. (anything that is important to her) in easy reach of the baby and we will see how long it takes for her to get the message. :wink:

Using a limit account isn’t a half bad idea (though it won’t stop physical damage, at least it will protect settings). As far as letting the baby get at her stuff, she doesn’t care. She doesn’t seem to have much regard for material possessions, hers or mine. Her stuff gets destroyed too (she might get a little mad but doesn’t really do anything to stop it).

The kids have their own computer in the front room by the way (an old athlon xp 2500/abit nf7-s of mine). I recently relocated the actual computer to the top of the entertainment center as the back panel was getting damaged from keyboards etc getting yanked on. The mouse is cordless but they kept ripping the keys off keyboards and managed to destroy expensive as well as cheap ones. I found an indestructible keyboard like this
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=indestructable+keyboard&oe=utf-8&cid=3824866034661941293&sa=title#ps-sellers
and use a usb extension cable, so when it gets yanked on, it just comes loose from the extension cable rather than tearing up the usb ports. Its lasted a few weeks so far.

By the way, I work till 4PM today (and since my relief doesn’t come in till 4, its more like 4:30-4:45, but not to worry, I’m here today, just a bit late.