Where do you buy your blank BD-R media?

vbimport

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

During this past week I upgraded my home theater for the first time in years! I have made the jump to Blu-Ray, and have already started my collection.

My question is about backing up my movies to blank BD-R media using DVDfab, so I can keep original quality at 100% without spending a (second) fortune archiving the films in case something happens.

*WHERE does everyone here buy their Verbatim BD-R blank single layer media?

I was so excited when I found out DVDfab could rip BD-R’s successfully, and duplicate them with ease; I originally had my mind set to use DVDfav to copy from Blu-Ray down to DVD9 (dual layer dvd’s) but the more I look, although the price per disc is still quadruple (about $5 each w/ shipping), I really want to copy the movies in true HD! THANKS FOR ANY HELP AND SUGGESTIONS on websites and retailers to buy from!

PS: If anyone has any scoop on DL-DVD (DVD9) as well, send them along… the best I’ve been able to find so far in Dual-Layer Verbatim is about $1.10 each at Sam’s Club, NewEgg, and Amazon. But I’m sure the pros here can point me towards the deals! :slight_smile:

You should look in the Bargain Basement here at MyCE for good deals on media. Verbatim DL +R dvds rarely dip below $1 a disk however.

BD-R prices on ebay should be under $2 a disk for good buys on 25gb disks. I recently bought a few Memorex BD-R 25gb disks for $1.80 each (after cashback through Bing) from Newegg while they were having a sale.

At the moment Verbatim BD-R is not noticeably superior to other BD blank media coming out of Taiwan and Japan, so it isn’t necessary to stick to that brand.

It is hard to find 25gb BD-RE disks for good prices. There were some Ritek BD-RE 25gb on ebay for $2 apiece a few months ago, but that was the best price I’ve ever seen on the rewritable disks. A good buy on them will be in the $4.50 to $5 range and not all that common. You may want a few BD-RE disks for testing purposes when you run into problems with encoding.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2471579]You should look in the Bargain Basement here at MyCE for good deals on media. Verbatim DL +R dvds rarely dip below $1 a disk however.

BD-R prices on ebay should be under $2 a disk for good buys on 25gb disks. I recently bought a few Memorex BD-R 25gb disks for $1.80 each (after cashback through Bing) from Newegg while they were having a sale.

At the moment Verbatim BD-R is not noticeably superior to other BD blank media coming out of Taiwan and Japan, so it isn’t necessary to stick to that brand.

It is hard to find 25gb BD-RE disks for good prices. There were some Ritek BD-RE 25gb on ebay for $2 apiece a few months ago, but that was the best price I’ve ever seen on the rewritable disks. A good buy on them will be in the $4.50 to $5 range and not all that common. You may want a few BD-RE disks for testing purposes when you run into problems with encoding.[/QUOTE]

[B]Thank you so much Kerry[/B]… I never thought of or even considered RW BD media! You make an excellent point about buying a couple of those first to get familiar with the process and fine tune my comfort level and ability copying/burning BD before buying $100 worth of expensive blank discs and potentially ruining them. :smiley:

This might sound silly, but I’m not 100% sure so I thought I’d ask… are BD RW (RE?) media the same as the CD and DVD versions ([I]meaning, they can be recorded on, erased, and re-recorded onto over and over again[/I])? If this is the truth it would be awesome (except for the amount of time it would take) to keep 4 or 5 BD-Rewritable discs on hand with favorite movies on them, and then swap them out perhaps for others. [B]What is the normal time-frame for burning a BD (25gb) and what is the time-frame for erasing them using current average external drive speeds?[/B]

… This all leads me down the final rabbit hole though - [B]what is the best tested external USB BD burner I can hook up to my laptop for us with DVDfab that will render the best results dollar for dollar?[/B] THANK YOU!

BD-RE disks are rewritable, yes. They have to be given a full format the very first time you write to them, and the full format takes quite a long time to do. Top speed with my burner and BD-RE is 2x, so the format takes about 45 minutes, plus another 45 for the actual burn (approximately…I didn’t stand around and time everything).

After that you can do a quick format, which takes very little time at all. ImgBurn can do both types of formats.

Burning BD-R at 4x takes considerably less time of course, and varies according to how much information you are burning, but it should be in the neighborhood of 22-25 minutes.

Unfortunately, I can’t answer your last question. I haven’t paid much attention to the external burners. Maybe someone else will chime in with some info. In the meantime, look through some reviews and threads in this forum and see if there is some information on them.