Where do I get a legal Oem Copy of Windows XP

vbimport

In the USA if you buy a substantial piece of kit – new mother board or CPU for example you can also get a legal OEM copy of Windows that won’t require activation.

I’m often upgrading / changing hardware and am getting a bit fed up of all the activation Bull – after all I don’t have to get the manufacturer of my car to re-set and re-initialize my Engine after I’ve used more than 700 litres of gas or added some accessories.

In Europe this doesn’t seem to be possible – not a legal thing but most stores just look at you blankly when you mention OEM.

You can get it in Holland but I don’t want Windows XP in Dutch !!

Any links to stores in the US who will supply OEM Windows (must be legal – I don’t mind if I have to buy components as well – usually far cheaper in US in any case).
Thanks

BTW just a footnote here to those who think that OEM Windows will allow you to use on more than 1 Machine — if you do a Windows update MS will know if it’s being used on another machine and disable it if it is - so don’t try it – if we want cheaper software (we all do I’m sure) let’s keep it legal
Same is true of office XP (corporate editions) .

I have an OEM copy which I bought at computer suppliers where I have a trade account. Not sure where your coming from though about the activation thing. OEM’s that are bought, ie other than those supplied with machines by Dell HP etc still require activation. So basically, short of buying a new machine you will not get a legal OEM that doesnt require activation.

If you’re desperate for an OEM copy, i quick google shows that Overcclockers UK has OEM versions for sale, but be aware that if you purchase and return it opened, they will probably not refund it, as it will be unsaleable, especially being OEM.

Another word of warning, if you need to contact M$ for tech support on any aspect of the software it will be chargeable due to you having an OEM version of their OS, either that or be directed back to the source of your purchase. They dont give free tech support basically on OEM, and they ask for the number displayed when you do a System Properties which states its OEM.

@1kyle
Just go to a computer market/fair, If you ask the traders there i’m positive you can get your hands on a win xp disc without buying a thing.

@belgarath

Another word of warning, if you need to contact M$ for tech support on any aspect of the software it will be chargeable due to you having an OEM version of their OS, either that or be directed back to the source of your purchase. They dont give free tech support basically on OEM, and they ask for the number displayed when you do a System Properties which states its OEM.

Who told you that? I have an oem copy of xp and I have sought help from m$ tech support many times and haven’t been asked to pay a cent.
As for oem machines not needing activation that’s wrong. All copies of win xp except corperate edition need to be activated. The reason why when you buy a machine with xp installed on it and it doesn’t need activation , Is because it has already been activated for legal reasons I suppose.

Originally posted by slayerking
[B@belgarath

Who told you that? [/B]

Ermm … M$ … I had to call for support once, (theres a thread here somewhere about NTFS.sys or something) and when i called M$ they asked me for the number on the System Properties screen. When I told them, they basically said that I had to contact my vendor, or pay them for tech support as I had an OEM version. I refused to pay for tech support, and my vendor couldnt help as they said they were not in the business of offering support for OSs.

Maybe its just M$ UK that act in this way?

Only XP that has no activation is the Corporate and Volume License versions…

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
Only XP that has no activation is the Corporate and Volume License versions…

witch is only the be sold at companies
every other customer have to use the “standard” version
if u can buy a corporate version at a shop then the shop is braking the law :cop:

Originally posted by belgarath
[B]

Ermm … M$ … I had to call for support once, (theres a thread here somewhere about NTFS.sys or something) and when i called M$ they asked me for the number on the System Properties screen. When I told them, they basically said that I had to contact my vendor, or pay them for tech support as I had an OEM version. I refused to pay for tech support, and my vendor couldnt help as they said they were not in the business of offering support for OSs.

Maybe its just M$ UK that act in this way? [/B]

That’s right. M$ gives tech support for thier os not the company selling a pc with an os installed.

BadReligionPR is correct, The WindowsXP Pro Corporate edition has the activation feature disabled.

So if you have a friend that owns a business or a corp. then ask them to do you a favor and buy you a copy. I have no idea what the price would be but I assume it would be pricey. I think the only legal way to pass this off would be for the friend to then claim business went bad or to give up their business and that they sold everything to liquidate. But MS might not support you and your copy, its kinda bending the law and of course the law differs depending on country or state. I would do it that way simply cause MS support sucks @ss and they are never any help anyway. That may perhaps be the only legal way to obtain a copy, otherwise… no comment.

I’m using my friend’s volume license key. He works at a school and had to pay for XP himself for 6 computers since administrators wanted to stick with 2k. I asked him to get me an extra license, it was only $60. Quite nice not having any reminders and being able to switch hardware as much as I like.:slight_smile:

they donated winxp to our engineering department. email someone for a cd key. for the 18 computers you have :stuck_out_tongue:

*Http://www.newegg.com for OEM copies, you have to buy a piece of hardware but they have good prices and a wide selection.

*“Corporate” Editions of Windows XP (be it home or professional) are ones that the files have been ripped, modified and reburnt so that the activation features are disabled. i.e. hacked, they aren’t made or supported by MS and if you call for tech support you’ll be asked for you home address.:cop: I’d be intrested (and so would many law enforcement agencies) if you found a shop that sold Corp editions.

*As for volume liscence versions you can get them from the belly of the beast itself: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/open/default.asp Go there to find out more about MS’s Open License 6.0 program for 5 or more licenses.

Hope this helps!

volume license = corporate edition.

imagine being in IT at a huge company, trying to upgrade departments to xp. i believe you said it best in another thread.

ick.

try this it is legal http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?sku=M17-7502 :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
*“Corporate” Editions of Windows XP (be it home or professional) are ones that the files have been ripped, modified and reburnt so that the activation features are disabled. i.e. hacked, they aren’t made or supported by MS and if you call for tech support you’ll be asked for you home address.:cop: I’d be intrested (and so would many law enforcement agencies) if you found a shop that sold Corp editions.

actually, this isn’t true. corporate editions of winxp exist for the corporate world and don’t require activation because of the nature of the installation, not because of any hacking or modification. as ckin2001 said, it would be impractical for a corporation that’s rolling out winxp onto hundreds of computers to have to activate each one, so microsoft issues them volume license keys.

actually, this isn’t true. corporate editions of winxp exist for the corporate world and don’t require activation because of the nature of the installation, not because of any hacking or modification. as ckin2001 said, it would be impractical for a corporation that’s rolling out winxp onto hundreds of computers to have to activate each one, so microsoft issues them volume license keys.

Precisely :slight_smile:

Originally posted by AZImmortal

Originally posted by xtacydima
Precisely
you morons! Bloodstar007 is talking about downloaded and illegal corperate editions that you can buy but are not really corperate editions. Why don’t you read and take your time before you react.

Originally posted by slayerking

you morons! Bloodstar007 is talking about downloaded and illegal corperate editions that you can buy but are not really corperate editions. Why don’t you read and take your time before you react.

Slayerking easy mate we are all human:bigsmile:

Originally posted by k9cop
Slayerking easy mate we are all human:bigsmile:
hehe I did take it easy;)