Where did the CD drive go?

vbimport

I’m a sub-newbie; never messed with drivers before. But now, after a wasted afternoon at PC world, I need some REAL help,

My son just bought a Dell laptop (Inspiron 1525). He ripped tracks from his own CD and it worked fine. But the next time he tried to do it a message said there was no CD drive! I checked the device manager and sure enough, nothing was there. I’ve been investigating, reading what I might be able to do to fix it, but I’m frightened to proceed.

The guys at the store said that sometimes these things drop out and that a system restore would sort it out - but it didn’t.
Any leads or advice you can give me? I noticed on another posting that the warranty might be invalidated if I start adding new drives…

Thanks…
BetsC

Hello BetsC, welcome to CDFreaks. :slight_smile:

Have you tried scanning for hardware changes (by right-clicking anything listed in the device manager and selecting “scan for hardware changes”)? This sometimes works for me when devices go missing. The drive might reappear during the scan or after a restart, even if Windows claims it couldn’t find any changes.

Did you by chance install any new 3rd party burning proggies?
Uninstall it see if that helps…
May want to try this, just be carefull venturing into your registry…This is a fix I used for my lappy once,thanks to a google search i found this and also the link below as well…

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

"Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

1. Click on the start menu.
  2. If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
  3. Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
  4. In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
  5. Restart Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060&x=12&y=13#appliesto

Thanks xx521xx -

I’ll try it this very night…

betsc