Where did MY CD-R GO!

vbimport

My computer has been running fine, but over the last couple of months I have noticed a decline in performance. I was burning a cd and half-way through the procedure, my friggen computer froze up!!!
Upon rebooting, I clicked on my burn software and tried to re-copy a cd and found that it did not recognize I had a cdr-w drive??? The drive used to be mapped to f:, and now doesnt show in Windows Explorer or My Computer???
Device manager does not show the device as installed anymore either!??
I tried to eject the cd thats still in the burner and it wont eject!!( There is no hole for paperclip to manual eject…
HERE ARE MY SPECS:
Compaq Presario 7935
Athalon k7 550
20 gig hd
128 mb sdram
Windows 98
DVD
Phillips CDR-W drive Model #CDD4401/71
Burning software Cequadrat Just Burn v 2.57
Thanks for any help I AM DESPERATE!!!
Tumpuh

This has happened to me while installing a game before. I just shut down my computer, and loaded up it again. If this doesnt work for you, then try unhooking the cd-r drive from the computer for while, then rehooking it up

Indeed, furgaan’s approach is probably the best thing you could do right now. When this happened to me, I discovered it was a hardware issue (the drive simply broke) and it had to be replaced.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit and click OK.

2. Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. Right-click on both the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters registry values and choose Delete/Ok. If you find only one of the Upperfilters or Lowerfilters values, delete just the one.

2. Close the registry editor and restart the machine.

PLease explain why this would help my situation, i dont understand what editing the registry will accomplish? Im not trying to be a turd …I really dont know :confused: :bow: people with knowledge

Windows has a bad habit of corrupting some registry entries to do with the optical drives. This has happened before to me and I used that same fix that G)-(osters suggested. Do those steps and they should come back.

\\VH////
:slight_smile:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Thanks guys problem fixed…