Where can you buys these at?

Anybody know where you can buy the high quality blank CDs that brand new music CDs are produced with?

You know, the CDs that Warner Brothers uses, or that Sony Music uses?

I was just curious if these could be had…

Moved to the Blank Media Forum. :slight_smile:

Edit: moved here, rather than the Bargain Basement, because I think a little explanation about certain blank media might come in handy. :wink:

Yeah, I guess I should have looked for the forum for blank media.

Anywho, I was just wondering if the top quality media that new music CDs come on can be purchased somewhere.

Of course, it may be more expensive and not worth the extra money, but I was just curious.

Yep…curiosity killed the cat, and I was a suspect there for a while! :bigsmile:

The most common CD-Rs used for mastering are made by Taiyo Yuden (Japan).

There are available at Japanese stores like Akibang, for example. And Akibang possibly also ships overseas.
Some Korean shops have them too.

Just checking:

You do realize that commercial music CDs are not recordable CDs, right?

These CDs are pressed - not “burned” - and you can’t buy “blank” CDs of this kind, because by nature there are no blank pressed discs.

Wikipedia: CD Manufacturing

No, I did not know that commercial CDs were “pressed”.
How much does that equipment cost?

You’re bound to be able to buy these CDs, otherwise how would the commercial manufacturers get them?

I doubt they make them theirself, as it would be much more cost effective to buy them from a manufacturer of CDs that can make them to meet the standards needed.

It would be cool to be able to “press” CDs in the same way they are done commercially. All other high tech stuff is now being offered to the public, why not this also?

Pressing equipment must cost tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is not the type of equipment that can be used in a home!

And I don’t think you quite understand what pressing CDs involves. Pressed CD manufacturers are basically making CDs “from scratch”, there is no “blank” CD being used. It involves molding the polycarbonate layer, stamping/pressing the track into the polycarbonate, adding the reflective layer, and adding lacquer to the top.

Might be a good industry to setup…bring this kind of technology to the masses!

They’ve done it with almost every type of technology that there is.
I don’t see why this would be any different.

All that needs to be done is build a smaller version of the equipment so the cost can come way down.

Not going to happen. Even if it were technically possible, the demand just isn’t there. IMO pressed CDs don’t have that many advantages over high quality CD-Rs.

That’s what they said about computers, video equipment, etc.

With today’s technology, it’s entirely possible to get the cost of this type of equipment down to a few thousand dollars, if not even cheaper than that.

That puts it within my reach :bigsmile:

But, if this technology doesn’t provide major benefits over high quality CDRs, then I doubt I’d even consider it…so that’s a good point.

They do have one huge advantage.
It’s cool, the surface isn’t colored, and unless the user specifically checks, it seems to be very professional and insider stuff.

But on the other hand, coolness can also be achieved by using special silver CD-R.

Cool link…but I can’t read any of the words :doh:

Hmm… Feurio! Good old times… :bigsmile: (Great program, BTW :wink: )

I think, you’re not right. I’ve been collecting CDs for 20 years, and have never seen A SINGLE pressed CD that had become unreadable not due to scratches, dirt and so on, but the CD-Rs often do so without ‘visible’ reason (even from TY, Sony, Mitsubishi).
So, If I had much more money, I really WOULD LIKE to build a CD/DVD pressing plant… just for my own use :bigsmile:

I’ve also been collecting CDs for more than 20 years, and I’ve had a couple of discs become almost unreadable with no visible signs of aging whatsoever (and no scratches). I’ve also had one or two go bad with a yellow-brownish tint to the disc. So pressed discs are not immune to aging if they are improperly manufactured.

Pressed CDs and CD-Rs are both highly susceptible to improper manufacturing. The big advantage that that pressed CDs have is that unlike CD-Rs, there is no organic dye that degrades over time. Having said that, I’m convinced that properly made CD-Rs have the capacity to last well over 20 years. Take a look at some of the 10+ year old CD-R scans we’ve seen lately… in many cases they’re as good as new.

So yes, in the very very long term, pressed CDs have the advantage, but I question how important that is to most people. Also, it could be that the best CD-Rs today are not as good as the best CD-Rs from ten years ago, but the same thing could probably be said about pressed CDs.

That’s probably bassackards, cause we have better technology and materials today than they did years ago :iagree:

Of course.
But the prices have been going down, and so has the QC of quite a few companies.

For the most part that would not be true as per free enterprise theory which would result in lost business and public embarassment for a company shipping our a big lot of crap :iagree:

Look at Dell and Sony over the batteries in their laptops catching on fire…and you can’t put it out until it burns itself out (takes a special chemical fire extinguisher).

These two companies have lost some business and look like complete idiots to the buying public. They’ll rebound because they’ve been putting out good products for years, for the most part.

But, they were hurt in the market place which cost them revenue.
No company wants this, and it their primary reason to put out quality products.

None of them want to lose revenue or market share. :disagree:

There are some companies like Princo solely relying on making and selling B-, C- or Z-grade media.

There are also other companies like Ritek, and to some smaller extent TDK or CMC not caring about QC issues. As long as their reputation is ok for the main part of the consumers, they don’t see any problem to fix.

Bad media doesn’t hurt anybody’s life directly, but indirectly it can.

Sure it does! It hurts the company stock holders when profits fall, or don’t increase due to poor quality.

People invest in companies to make money.
When that doesn’t happen, it hurts investors…directly!