Where can you buy 16x dvd dl media?

vbimport

Hello I have a 16x dual layer capable writer (Samsung SH-S223F). I have easily found 8x DL media and that has worked fine. However I would like to find 10x, 12x, or 16x media so I can burn even quicker since this drive is supposed to be capable of up to 16x dual layer +R.

These two links below seem to indicate that 16x dual layer media is available as of this year: (especially the picture)

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/introducing-ridata-dvd-16x-double-layer-optical-disc-t24032.html

http://www.ritekusa.com/product_buy.asp?division_id=1&products_id=54

Alas – I cannot seem to find the 16x dual layer media for sale on any vendor web site. I have also found links on the internet announcing ricoh’s 16x media, but again have not found any vendors selling this 16x dual layer media.

The closest I’ve seen is Verbatim’s 8x media which says it can go up to 10x, though I have not purchased it to verify.

I am a newbie here and am pretty bad at searching the forums, so please excuse me if this is an obvious question.

Thanks

Hi burntester,
unfortunately 16x DL media are not widely available on the market yet. :frowning:
You may try to write to Ritek USA, maybe they will send you some samples.

Perhaps a better question is – especially since this drive has overburning capabilities – is it possible to burn DVD DL disks greater than 8x? (has anyone done this using overburn with 8x media, or found media that works larger than 8x, etc.) Can I somehow force Nero or another application to burn greater than 8x for the DVD DL discs?

Thanks again

I’ve seen 12x burns on 8x DL media (MKM003) using Samsung drives, search a bit. Quality may not be top-notch but if its speed you’re aiming for it is possible.

Dunno about strat swapping (is there a 16x DL write strat for the recent generation of writers?) but I’m pretty sure the results won’t look real pretty if you’re overburning to twice the rated speed of the media.

would u really wanna burn at 16x though. personally not for me

[QUOTE=evo69;2130536]I’ve seen 12x burns on 8x DL media (MKM003) using Samsung drives, search a bit. Quality may not be top-notch but if its speed you’re aiming for it is possible.

Dunno about strat swapping (is there a 16x DL write strat for the recent generation of writers?) but I’m pretty sure the results won’t look real pretty if you’re overburning to twice the rated speed of the media.[/QUOTE]

His Samsung’s firmware does contain a writing strategy for 16x DL Ritek, so he theoretically could swap e.g. MKM 003 strategy with a strategy for that 16x DL Ritek. The result is the another question…

Thanks I tried swapping the strategies after reading on here what the heck that meant :slight_smile: It allowed me to make a 16x DVD +R DL but the disk skipped periodically when playing it back in a standard DVD player. Thanks for the tip though this allows me to try 12x and 10x on 8x media which is what I was looking for until the higher quality media comes out. By the way has anyone been able to burn at 16x DVD +R DL with success using 8x or 10x media that is presently available?

Most people in here only burn @ half the rated speed of the media for the best results
so as you have seen for yourself it is not the wisest thing to do burning 8x DL @ 16x. :eek:

RitekS06 strategies on MKM003. That sound like a bad idea to me.

I’d just like to point out that there is only a small saving of time involved when burning a DL disc @ 12x instead of 8x or 6x. The drive probably starts at either 4x or 6x, speeds up to 8x, then eventually gets to 10x or 12x after a fair while. You’re probably burning @ 12x for only a couple GB at best.

Best to just burn @ 6x IMO. I even go at 4x for DL media. But the 8x stuff is probably fine @ 6x. So remember, you’re not saving much time, if that’s what you intend to do.