Where can I get Taiyo Yuden DVD-RAM online?

I need these for my Toshiba RD-XS HDD recorders. They are very picky about DVD-RAM. I used to buy TY-branded DVD-RAM in Akihabara, Tokyo and even then, only 1-2 hole-in-the-wall stores had them. I’m in Okinawa now and can’t find them at electronics stores here.

I’m not sure what other brands actually use Taiyo Yuden disks. I’ve tried TDK and Panasonic DVD-RAM with a 50% success rate (half the disks do not initialize). So I’m hoping for a source of Taiyo Yuden-branded DVD-RAM from an online vendor.

You can get them from
http://www.akibang.com
http://www.akibaoo.co.jp

All are online shops in JP and will ship to Okinawa.

[QUOTE=koba;2270580]You can get them from
http://www.akibang.com
http://www.akibaoo.co.jp

All are online shops in JP and will ship to Okinawa.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Koba. Was hoping for an English site online (since I have access to U,S. Postal Service) but I can have a Japanese friend order for me. Did a Google search and it is impossible to find outside Japan.

Well I’ve look at Taiyo Yudens everywhere around the world (UK/European shops, American etc) and I didn’t even know Taiyo Yuden MADE DVD-RAMs …

Your best bet is another supplier in Japan.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2271183]Well I’ve look at Taiyo Yudens everywhere around the world (UK/European shops, American etc) and I didn’t even know Taiyo Yuden MADE DVD-RAMs …/QUOTE]

Taiyo Yuden just rebrands Maxell/Matsushita’s DVD-RAMs, they do not make any rewritable media.

Well you can set Amazon JP to english if you like. The other two sites are JP only.

Update: I had a friend order TY DVD-RAM from Akibaoo. What’s neat is here in Japan, you can place an order over the web and pay via any local convenience store, if you don’t trust using your credit card over the web. So my friend did the paperwork, and I can pay at a Family Mart in Okinawa. Only thing is shipping to Okinawa from mainland Japan is $23 bucks! Plus a $3.00 fee from the convenience store. Amazon.jp is a $5 more per pack so cost ends up the same.

I visited Kojima, a big electronics store in Okinawa and Wow! As big a selection of DVD-RAM as I have seen anywhere in Japan, but of course, no TY, e.g., THAT’S brand. They had Maxell, Mitsubishi, Victor-JVC, TDK, Panasonic. Since I’ve had problems with TDK and Panasonic on my Toshiba RD-XS HDD recorders, I rolled the dice and tried Victor-JVC, since I know they use made in Japan products a lot.

I tested 8 disks before I was convinced: they all initialized on the Toshiba. I then measured the time it took to initialize versus virgin TY disks. Took about the same time: 42-43 seconds. At $19 per 10 and locally available, much cheaper than the $27/10 of TY ordered from Akibaoo via Family Mart.

I’m currently testing the Victor-JVC stuff, e.g., whether thumbnails initialize as well. Sometimes they will hang on non-TY stuff.

I will try Maxell next when I need more -RAM. My Toshiba recorders are pretty finicky creatures and for now, Victor-JVC gets a thumb’s up! :iagree:

[QUOTE=pepst;2271204][QUOTE=SeanW;2271183]Well I’ve look at Taiyo Yudens everywhere around the world (UK/European shops, American etc) and I didn’t even know Taiyo Yuden MADE DVD-RAMs …/QUOTE]

Taiyo Yuden just rebrands Maxell/Matsushita’s DVD-RAMs, they do not make any rewritable media.[/QUOTE]

Quite possibly. The burner in my Toshiba RD-XS52 is made in Japan by Matsushita. Although the burners in the other models have Panasonic chipsets and the proprietary burners in the RD-XS35/55 are made in China. The latter is a POS which is one reason they need decent -RAM to even function for as long as they do.

The Taiyo Yuden DVD-RAM (THAT’S brand) do say Made-in-Japan on each disk. The Victor-JVC do not indicate this anywhere on the packaging or disk. None of the brands indicate source of the disk on the packaging. I don’t know if Maxell disks indicate this on the disk since I’ve never tried them. Maybe all DVD-RAM is made in Japan? These days I rather doubt that and in any case my RD-XS units can tell differences.