Where can I get a CD-ROM faster than 56X?

I’ve seen 56X CD-ROMs for sale, but I would like to buy a faster one if possible. CDRLabs has a post in their CD-ROM forum about a 60X EPO CD-ROM sold only in Japan. And there was the no-longer available Kenwood 72X muilti-beam reader. Does anyone know of any others out there? I once saw a 100X CD-ROM, but that cheated by using hard drive caching software and was really a 32X or less (it was a while ago).

Why would you want to buy such a CDROM? Most CDROMS don’t reach those high speeds they are said to reach… the difference between a 56x and a 60x will be very small… and in many occasions, slower is even better!

Pardon me for asking, but why do you want a driver faster than 56x? This speed is approaching the limits of safe operation with a single laser for reading. The Kenwoods used a multi-laser technology that was faster but was buggy as well.

Noise and vibration increase as speed goes up. Vibration and service life go down.

Quoted from Plextor Europe’s “The Process of Writing”

The Difference In Read Speed Versus Write Speed.

Even though it would seem logical to expect the same maximum speed for reading
and writing, and if not equal to expect a higher read speed, this is not always the case
for Plextor recorders. The reason for this comes from the different characteristics of
the media that is typically used in both cases.

Writing is usually performed on brand-new, blank media, with virtually no surface
print or labels attached, still free from scratches, probably inserted in a CD drive
for the very first time and mastered with very high precision.

In the case of reading, the inserted disc is often a completely different type: there is a
good chance that it is a stamped disc, maybe mastered with lower quality, less
precision, poorer tolerances and greater eccentricity. It may have heavy or unequal
surface printing or attached labels. Maybe it has been used in many drives before
what may have introduced fingerprints, scratches or small damage to the inner hub.

Spinning such discs at high speed may introduce vibration, irritating noise, or even
read errors that will cause the drive to spin down. Even worse, the micro-cracks
caused by certain drives’ clamping mechanisms could grow in an avalanche-like way
under influence of temperature, pressure and high rotation speed, causing the disc to
scatter or ‘explode’ in many pieces.

Additionally, thorough tests have shown that a large increase of rotational speed will
reduce the lifetime of the spindle motor by 25% while at the same time the internal
drive temperature will rise, which will affect the stable operation of all components.
The effects of a continuous spin at high speed for reading are much worse than the
limited time (<3 minutes) it takes to write a disc at this speed.

Plextor’s Expertise:

While the spindle motor speed can be set to 9600 RPM (20-48X CAV) for writing,
Plextor has kept the read speed below a conservative but safe 9000 RPM in order to
avoid the side-effects previously described or CD destruction. This will guarantee
reading without errors, silent operation, and avoid exploding discs and resulting
damage to drive and disc.

For users that want to experience a higher read speed nonetheless, Plextor has
integrated the SpeedRead option that will allow the user to boost the read spleed for
stamped and recorded data CD’s (only).

AudioCD’s (including mixed mode) are excluded because they have poorer error
correction and will suffer too many read errors. This applies to CD-RW media as
well because of the different characteristics, like lower reflectivity.

In the case of damaged discs, with heavy surface printing or labels attached, or visual
damage, it is recommended to not use this option.

As a final precaution, the tray and drive bezel have been partially redesigned and
reinforced to prevent any particles of an exploding disc escaping from the drive.

Quoted from the LITE-ON site FAQ’s:

[b]
Why does disc break in 48X/52X CD-ROM drives?

Disc break during use is a new symptom surfacing recently, it is most likely due to poor quality of the disc. All LITE-ON CD-ROM drive are designed with ABS system that reduces vibration to minimize such risks. However, CD disc sometime have hidden flaws such as (a) defective material; (b) defective due improper manufacturing process; © Invisible hairline cracks at the edges. To avoid disc breaking in operation, it is recommended to always use legitimate copies of CD titles and good quality discs. (However, we have seen CDs distributed by Software company came with defects due to poor QA process too) Also, please DO NOT place labels or any other foreign objects on the disc to avoid excessive vibration during operation.
[/b]

Anyway, you´ll probably find them at your local retailer. Around here (Brazil) they´re pretty common, in various brands, mostly chinese ones.
I would not recommend them, due to the reasons above, and I actually prefer to read at 48x MAX for installing things and I even lower the speed to 4x when just reading music or watching videos.

Originally posted by Fallen
Anyway, you´ll probably find them at your local retailer. Around here (Brazil) they´re pretty common, in various brands, mostly chinese ones.
I would not recommend them, due to the reasons above, and I actually prefer to read at 48x MAX for installing things and I even lower the speed to 4x when just reading music or watching videos.

You’d think that I would find some at my local retailer, but I can’t seem to find any. I realise that there are many difficulties with such highspeed drives, but I want one anyway!:smiley:

I have the kenwood 72x truex, lemme tell ya I have had it for just over a year and in the first year I sent it back to kenwood 4x the last time i got it back it just sits in the box…