Where can I find the LG DVD-RAM driver

Kenshin, i think your misunderstanding the maket penetration of UDF.

UDF is the defacto/default format for DVD discs. It can be read under ANY operating system that reads DVDs whether that is windows/linux/MacOSx etc. It also is readable by ANY consumer DVD player. In other words : it is the universal DVD format with the highest market penetration.

FAT32 on the other hand is a Windows native format. All other operating systems must have some sort of support to read it, and especially to WRITE it. As for consumer DVD players, you can forget about those as they only understand UDF (since it is the official format of the DVD-Video standard)

So let me sum it up :

FAT32

Pros:

• works natively under windows for reading and writing
  • can be read by some operating systems due to its popularity

Cons:

• is slow when writing big files to DVDs
  • other operating systms(beside windows) need special drivers to write it
  • consumer DVD players CAN’T read it
  • compatibility problem with other operating systems in regards to long file names… etc.

UDF

Pros:

• any devices with a DVD drive can read it
  • any operating sytem can read it
  • any consumer DVD player can read it
  • constantly updated
  • UDF2.0+ has higher write speed for larger files

Cons:

• special drivers are needed for some operating systems to write to it

I hope this clears up some confusion…
If any of you guys think some of this is worng, reply and let me know.

Thanks,

Adrian

No, I’m not misunderstanding, but I should have added writing as well there.

1. Windows PCs are a lot more than Linux/Mac combined. Most PCs in the world have native support for FAT32, of course in both writing and reading. They don’t need any further driver or software installation. That’s something for misunderstanding?

2. I think I was clear but maybe not so. Everybody knows DVD players can play DVD. What I meant was that DVD-RAM is NOT DVD in the same way DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W) are DVD. Try to find DVD-Video standalone players that can play DVD-Video discs written on DVD-RAM media.

3. Since FAT32 was meant for hard disk drives mainly, what’s the point of UDF being the main format for DVD-Video? Read the first question again.

Hi,

I want to use my brand new LG-DVD4120B drive with DVD RAM like a normal harddisk, but without the trouble of installing In-CD. So I heard there is a DVD-RAM driver from LG available for Windows XP Pro, but I simply can’t find that driver on their homepage.

I have read in some forums that they probably removed tht driver from their site. Can you please tell me where to get that driver?

Thank you very much in advance.

cu,

Jackie

To use DVD-RAM like HDDs in Windows XP Pro, a further driver installaion is not necessary because DVD-RAM is natively supported in Windows XP.

Cons:

• special drivers are needed for some operating systems to write to it

Are the “some operating systems” Windows?

Actually, yes it is. If you are looking for a format that is readable in more then just windows PCs, then yes, UDF is better then FAT32 no questions asked.
Also, non windows PCs have trouble writing to FAT32 for many reasons.

In other words, if all you care about is doing some drag and drop on your DVD-RAM disk and reading it back on the same Windows pc and not carig abot the write speed look no further then FAT32. If you want unquestioned compatibility on all platforms, faster write speeds and higher reliability, then UDF is your friend.

Again, i will have to disagree with you. DVD-RAM is an official DVD standard. Unfortunetly most companies other then Panasonic are very reluctant to support it. The reason i think has to do with patents that Panasonic(Matsushita) has in regards to their old PD technology. They basically took PD and submitted it to the DVD forum to make the DVD-RAM standard a reality.

For those who don’t know, PD was a phase change format that appeared a looooooong looooooong time ago way before CD-RW was brought to life by Ricoh. It had 650megs just like a normal cd and was invented by Panasonic. Unfortunetly it had 0 compatibility with CD-ROM drives and to this day, DVD-RAM is suffering from it. Just look at how low the compatibility is with most DVD-ROM drives.

Back to my argument…

There are a bunch of consumer DVD players that support reading DVD-RAM discs. Panasonic S75 is one of them. If you want more go to www.videohelp.com and do a little research on their consumer DVD player database for all the players that support DVD-RAM and you will be surprised of the ammount of player that support it.

I should also mention that most the consumer DVD-Video recorders write to DVD-RAM media due to it’s UNIQUE random write wich allows editing and time shifting withought using an internal hard disc. Also, all these consumer DVD-Video recorders, even though they are expensive, they constitute the majority of the recorders being sold.

Yes, FAT32 was meant for hard discs drives mainly but the problem is that it was meant for Windows formatted hard dirks drives. FAT32 is a very old format. It does not offer native support for long file names and other functions needed by other operating systems. In other words it’s much less compatible with anything else out there, especially when it comes to writing.

So, the main point of UDF being the main format for DVDs is that it is PLATFORM INDEPENDENT, provides high writing efficiency and provides aditional protection for the media. FAT32 offers NONE of this.

Yes, on this you are absoutly right. If you do not need any of the advantages of UDF, then you are fine with the native FAT32 support in Windows.

[/QUOTE]

Windows is one of them, but it doesn’t mean it’s the only one. There may be others out there that need UDF drivers in order to WRITE to DVD-RAM media using UDF.

It is important to note here that no OS needs any drivers to read UDF DVDs as it is always native. In case of FAT32, in some non windows OSes, drivers are needed for reading FAT32.

Hope this clarifies my point of view on this matter,

Adi

DVD-RAM is one of the official DVD standards but is not supported in most DVD players. Both LG and Samsung have supported DVD-RAM since late 1990s but I don’t know any player from them that read DVD-RAM.

Again, i will have to disagree with you. DVD-RAM is an official DVD standard. Unfortunetly most companies other then Panasonic are very reluctant to support it. The reason i think has to do with patents that Panasonic(Matsushita) has in regards to their old PD technology. They basically took PD and submitted it to the DVD forum to make the DVD-RAM standard a reality.

That’s not a disagreement. Basically, you said the same thing as I have said.

Native Windows XP can read UDF formatted DVD-RAM discs, but it cannot write to UDF formatted DVD-RAM, without a special add-on driver.

What we need to know, is can we obtain the add-on driver from LG or do we have to buy a 3rd party program to do it?

I personally prefer using Nero’s InCD if I need to write in UDF formats, but I never liked InCD too much.

@Jackie78 :
I have a bulk version of the LG GSA-4120B on order.
The dealer told me it would come as a bare drive (no software, cables and box).
So I emailed LG tech support yesterday and asked for the WinXP version of the DVD-RAM driver.
I just received it by email (self extracting archive).

from VERXP.TXT

Software Version

October 24, 2003
                                             BHA_VER.02-2

Driver Software
meiudf.sys - Ver 3.0.9.0
Format Software(DVDForm) - Ver 4.1.9.0
Write Protect Tool(WPTool) - Ver 1.1.2.0
RAM Assistance Tool(RAMASST) - Ver 1.0.9.0

If you still want/need the DVD-RAM driver PM me and I’ll email it to you.
(Or you could request it yourself ofcourse.)

My private email address is admin at storageinfo.net. I’ll host it if it’s for public use if you send it to me.

@DVDLover

Thanks for sending the file.

I tried installing it here, and was unable to either format or write to a DVD-RAM in the drive.

Is it working on your system?

hi guys

found this don’t know if any good as not got an lg so check it out

here’s where you can download the LG RAM drivers if you need them:

http://jhcare.com/drivers/

Sorry i removed files. Drivers are posted on LG website:
http://us.lgservice.com
under device drivers icon
then CD-RW

I can send you the win2k file if you would like to host it for others…

Anytime. The address is there above. Please mentio “cdfreaks” or “firmware” at the mail subject line. :slight_smile:

Actually, I wanted to make a whole PC with lots of space and bandwidth available to CDfreaks forum users but I was not good at keeping the ftp stable. The bandwidth and storage space are always enough for such purposes.

Worth noting, I think, is that they sent you the Panasonic (Matsushita Electric Industrial Co) driver (MEIUDF.SYS) and utils. Matsushita seem to be the only ones who truly support the DVD-RAM format properly (as can be verified by the properties of MEIUDF.SYS)…

I have no idea what sort of agreement they have to use this driver with their drives since it seems to be a ‘scarce’ commodity. Would be interesting to find out, tho.

Well, since they pretty much invented DVD-RAM (derrived it from PD), they obviously know what they’re doing. :cool:

They still make DVD burners that support DVD-RAM cartridges :slight_smile: I think my next burner will be from them unless LG joins in with a cartridge DVD-RAM drive of their own. (Crossing fingers… Kenshin, do they have any plans for that ??)

Adi

Exactly. Which is why I bought my drive from them, despite it not being “upt to speed” feature-wise with the + formats or write speeds. Didn’t bother me, I only use it for dvd-ram :slight_smile: I think I’ll buy a second one when they entice me with their new hardware…

In that case, you are luckier than most perhaps. Most users who buy GSA-4120B want the fastest DVD+R recording speeds in addition to DL writing and DVD-RAM. Many of them don’t care much about the DVD-RAM writing features.

What I mean is, Panasonic DVD-RAM drives and LG “Super Multi” drives target different markets. The latter is more for the “mass” market. For the mass, the cartridge protection was not considered good but just redundant and inconvenent at a higher cost.

I’ll buy a Panasonic 5x DVD-RAM drive if I can buy some cartdrige 5x DVD-RAM media for under US$5. That’s not too much - or should I say little - to ask. Panasonic Blu-ray 23GB single-sided and single-layer media cost US$20.

No. Consider this: LG [i]downgraded[i/i] their CD writers to save cost by reducing the buffer memory size from 8MB to 2MB. Can you imagine what kind of cost saving that could achieve? If I were LG, I would have increased it from 8MB to anywhere between 16MB and 256MB simply because that dosen’t cost much if scale of economy is well applied.

Would LG try to go back to cartridge-supporting tray in order to satisfy the very few users who want the feature? I doubt it. You have to make the media industry to supply some cheap cartridge-based DVD-RAM media first. Panasonic has had such drives for several years. I actually tried to buy at least 1000 DVD-RAM drive units even in the 1990s. Supplies, fund, experiences, demand were there but I and my partner was involved in other things at that time. For those several years, what has changed? The 5.2GB double-sided cartridged DVD-RAM media in 1999 costed US$30. It looked cheap to me because I had 6.4GB HDD which was several times more expensive than that. How much does a Panasonic 9.4GB cartdridge DVD-RAM media cost in July, 2004?

Panasonic is the inventor, that’s right, but Panasonic knows what they are doing? Selling media and drives at such prices? If Panasonic wanted their own version of DVD-RAM only for the few enthusiast and business/expert/whatever groups, that might be true. Anything that makes a drive more difficult and more costly to manufacture is worth serious consideration before being applied to the production lines. LG makes DVD-RAM drives by the millions and will have sold over one hundred million drives that can all write to DVD-RAM media by 2006 or 2007. How many out of the one hundred million users want DVD-RAM in cartdriges and how many cartridge DVD-RAM media will be sold?

Perhaps JVC’s D-VHS is better than DVD-RAM in terms of reliability and cost considered at once, but that’s only available on standalone recorders unfortunately. Also as proprietary as Panasonic’s DVD-RAM and PD.

Well, we’ll see how their 16x DVD-RAM drives will stack up when they’ll be out. At that point i’ll make my decision. Untill then, i’ll stick my with trusty 4040B :smiley:

I would definetly prefer a cartridge based Writer like the Panasonic one because it is much more easy to pop a cartridge in then to take the disk out everytime from the cartridge…

Adi

Persuade enough number of users and then you’ll be even happy with Blu-ray with cartridge. Otherwise, it’s going to be an HD era with no cartridge for the mass.