Where can i find some guidelines (NEC ND-3450A)

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC ND-3450A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have been backing-up my files on CDs/DVDs for years without knowing that many of them are damaged, until recently I decide to test them with Nero CD-DVD Speed. Some of them were probably bad right after being burned.

I searched around on this forum, but still have no clue how to improve my back-up strategies.
Here is my current understanding why my backups went so bad.

1. try to avoid multiple track/session burning.
  2. blank disc quality is very important. two of my Sony CD-Rs were burned almost 10 years ago, still 100% quality. but many of recently burned TDK or K-hypermedia CDs went damaged or bad.
  3. writing strategies are important. but I am still unclear on this, such as combinations of burner (I have two NEC 3450A with different firmwares 102b and 103c) , blank CD, writing speed, program (I am currently using Nero7).

Can anybody lend me a hand and point me to some general guidelines? I am sure there are articles /posts for newbies like me, but I could not find them.
many thanks!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

To improve the security of your backups, certainly using quality discs is the first thing.

Another thing that can help is to save multiple copies ov very important files in different places.

Avoiding multisession (as you already said) is another thing that can help improving quality.

Writing strategies are embedded in the drive firmware, and that’s rather difficult to change them manually. But usually manufacturers knows what they do, so writing strategies decided are usually very reliable (mostly if you use the most recent firmwares).

Another thing that can improve reliability is creating an archive of parity data from each disc you burn with a software like DVDisaster (it’s free and opensource, so you can trust in this software too). Saving these parity data in a safe place like an external HDD can help you to recover data from a disc that for some reason became unreadable in some sectors.

@geno888, Thank you very much for your reply!

You’re welcome :slight_smile: