Where can I find a DVR

vbimport

Hello:

I am using a VCR to record my favorite program and transfer video as needed, but it will be outdated by Feb next year without a tuner. I am looking for DVR to replace my VCR with the following requirements:

1. Has buit in HD tuner.
  2. Records directly to the internal hard drive.
  3. Has a video and audio inputs in case I need totransfer video.
  4. Has a USB ports to transfer files as needed.

Most of DVR I found either has a lot of tuners but without video inputs or has a lot of video inputs without tuner.
Any models suggested ?
Thank you in advance.

I just bought a Philips 3576 and it seems very nice :slight_smile:

I too just bought a Philips, the model 3575, and I like it. Hard Disk DVD recorders are getting scarce here in the USA…

1. One thing worth noting is that most DVR’s with digital tuners that claim to offer HD output, up to 1080p, HDMI, etc. capability actually have standard definition digital TV tuners with HD upscaling. On the other hand, standard definition digital tuners are not affected by the February analogue cut off, as the cut-off does not put an end to standard definition digital broadcasts.

DVR’s that have built-in HD tuners are much more expensive than those with standard definition digital tuners. As you are upgrading from a VCR, it’s worth thinking about whether you really want to go straight to recording HD, especially if you currently get just a few HD channels and that the upcoming February analogue cut-off time has been more of a concern than the analogue broadcasts, never mind the VHS picture quality. It’s also worth noting that there’s a substantial difference in the picture quality between recording on VHS and recording on DVR, even from a standard definition digital TV channel.

For when the time comes that most channels in your area are in HD, DVRs with HD tuners would have come down a lot in price and I’m sure you’ll find another room to use the original DVR in. :wink:

1. Generally as long as the DVR says it has a HDD (e.g. DVD+HDD recorder), it will record to DVR. For DVD+HDD recorders, typically give the option of recording to DVD or HDD.

2. The majority of DVRs (excluding Satellite DVRs) have video inputs for recording from external source. If you have a DV camcorder with iLINK or IEEE 1394 (Firewire) connectivity, make sure the DVR has this if you are looking to get the best transfer quality.

3. While many DVRs have USB connectivity, some provide it to watch video from USB flash drives, HDDs, etc., while others allow the exporting of recordings to USB. Note that very few DVRs allow recordings to be exported to USB drives and some that do will also encrypt the recordings (e.g. TiVo DVRs) such that they cannot be watched on another device or PC. On the other hand, the majority of HDD+DVD recorders allow recordings to be transferred from HDD to DVD at high speed.

Thank you for your input. Most of DVR’s have all kinds of outputs, HDMI… but most of them do not have a video input. I would appreciate your recommend on HD tuner or Standard one. You are exactly right. Can you specically recommend a few models? I am interest in a DVR that can replace my VCR, can record from an external video input, and record in formats where I can interchange with my computer. In general, I don’t need a DVD recorder (why do you need it for anyway ??)

Here is some info on the Phillips 3576.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

Thank you for your suggestions. I look into the specifications of the Philips DVD3576H and really like it. The only drawback is I don’t know what I need the DVD recorder for.

I understand that the above model records movies as DivX format. Could you please tell me whether it can be transfer to the USB memory stick and playabble in the computer?

Thanks in advance

[quote=khanlee;2144856]Thank you for your suggestions. I look into the specifications of the Philips DVD3576H and really like it. The only drawback is I don’t know what I need the DVD recorder for.

I understand that the above model records movies as DivX format. Could you please tell me whether it can be transfer to the USB memory stick and playabble in the computer?

Thanks in advance[/quote]
They only play DivX. I believe they record MPEG2 (it took about 30 minutes to author and burn a 2 hour DVD) and you do need the DVD recorder to get programs off it. The USA version can only read from the USB port, and it only reads music and photos.