Where can I find 24X CD-RW media?

Seems like 24X CD-RW media is hard to find, I havent been able to locate it anywhere. Anyone know what I can find some?

If you told everyone where you live, it might be a bit easier for people to help you out. :slight_smile:

I live in NY, USA. I was wondering if there were any sites in US that sold them.

There are a number of places online. the verbatim 24x media is the only one worth using. Here’s one place
The Verbatim site also has a list of online retailers.

$12.95 10 Pack 16x-24x Verbatim CD-RW 650MB

Cheapest 2.4x DVD+RW 4.7GB media now cost under $2 per unit.

Wow, thanks alot guys.

Any sites that have 700MB capacity @ 24x speed?

A local vendor told me today that he could provide me some till Feb 17…

Originally posted by rdgrimes
There are a number of places online. the verbatim 24x media is the only one worth using. Here’s one place
The Verbatim site also has a list of online retailers.

Be careful before you buy these ULTRA SPEED blanks. I have a VeloCD by TDK and the RW speed is rated for 16-24X but I cannot use the Memorex ULTRA SPEED 16 - 24X discs. Neither can my buddy who has a 52-24-52 recorder. Haven’t tried the Verbatim discs yet but the Memorex box states that they are for burners with the ULTRA SPEED logo. I haven’t seen this logo on anything yet. Me and My pal think it is the disc industries in Japan trying to make us buy DVD’s. Why do they sell 24X burners if they don’t make the blanks for them? What a ripoff!!!

I don’t think the conspirancy theory works in this case, DaMob.

There are several people in this forum who are EXTEMELY knowledgeable about the hardware, media, and software used for optical burning. BoSkin, rdgrimes, OC-Freak, alexnoe, G@M3FR3@K (just to name a few) are several that should be listened to very closely.

I, too, have tried to use Memorex 24x CD-RW but have not had even 1 in 20 work. On the other hand, I have over 30 Verbatim 24x CD-RW and have not had a problem with any of them. Verbatim media tends to be on the expensive side but I have learned through experience and read this forum that you usually get what you pay for, especially when it comes to longevity and quality. Spend some time browsing the CD-R(W) media forum and you can see the results for yourself.

Originally posted by 420Freak
[B]I don’t think the conspirancy theory works in this case, DaMob.

There are several people in this forum who are EXTEMELY knowledgeable about the hardware, media, and software used for optical burning. BoSkin, rdgrimes, OC-Freak, alexnoe, G@M3FR3@K (just to name a few) are several that should be listened to very closely.

I, too, have tried to use Memorex 24x CD-RW but have not had even 1 in 20 work. On the other hand, I have over 30 Verbatim 24x CD-RW and have not had a problem with any of them. Verbatim media tends to be on the expensive side but I have learned through experience and read this forum that you usually get what you pay for, especially when it comes to longevity and quality. Spend some time browsing the CD-R(W) media forum and you can see the results for yourself. [/B]

Sounds good. I shall try some Verbatim. Still raises a question as to why more companies don’t make these. All of the newer burners support the 24 X speed yet only a few company makes them? Doesn’t sound right. And if you think big business doesn’t get together and plan these things whether it is illegal or not than you can’t be living in the real world. Weren’t several CD companies recently sued for price fixing? Not the exact same situation but wrong none the less. Here is a link:

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/bl-cd-settlement.htm

Thanks to you I’m off to order some Verbatims now and I hope I have as good luck with them as you did!

Thanks for the info and Have Some Super Holidays!!!!

PS: I already have a DVD recorder too! (DRU500A)

The real issue with US media is that it is SO difficult to make it work. Which is probably why we have not seen any 32x media either. It’s very expensive to make, and most makers will not bother with it because they’re switching over to DVD. It’s not a plot, it’s just economics. Only so many production lines for the market. We may never see anything but very limited amounts of 32x CDRW media, and 24x will soon be history too, as will all CDRW. All CD media is about to start getting expensive and scarce.

i’ve got 24 speed 700mb verbatim discs, check here so u just need to find a us distributor as the discs are available and i never had any problems with them

I have a liteon ldw-451s , and it burns any cdr media I throw at it, all at 40x, and very low error rates. Unbelievable how good this drive burns cd-r media. I am very happy with its performance in that respect. I bought it for dvd burning duties, the excellent, burn any media at 40x performance for cd-r was a bonus, a very pleasant bonus at that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2774850138&category=21891

but they not the 700mb ones, will test one tomorrow and see how much mine can hold lol

you know, before i had my 411s, i had a 40x liteon cd burner and i was so pleased with it so i bought the 411s. most people dont realize that liteon is one of very few dvd burner makers that still has 40x cd burning capablities, even all those other expensive brands only go up to 24 or 32 or less. liteon is a great drive and a great deal!

Originally posted by 420Freak

I, too, have tried to use Memorex 24x CD-RW but have not had even 1 in 20 work. On the other hand, I have over 30 Verbatim 24x CD-RW and have not had a problem with any of them. Verbatim media tends to be on the expensive side but I have learned through experience and read this forum that you …

if only i had read this post a month ago. but no, i just read the user reviews on ebuyer.co.uk [tho i dont remember the -ve ones being there when i was originally browsing…i swear i dont remember them being there.]

anyway, im gonna have to get a liteon. any recommendations?

I bought Imation 10-24x media at Best Buy, never had any problems with them. Smartburn reports that these are made by Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp. But these are 74 minute discs/650mb.

No offence intended, but what use(s) do 24x cd-rws have when dvd-rw/+rw is available so cheaply?

I sold all my 24x Verabtims about 12 months ago.

Just got hold of a pack of Imation 10-24x - Nero Infotool says it’s Verbatim, Smart Burn says it’s Mitsubishi Chemicals

I have a drive that can do Mount Rainier - none, or possibly one DVD writer does this yet.

CD-RW, the faster the better, is also useful for making a test compilation, or temporary collections to play on a CD-RW capable player.

CD-R will never be obsolete, not until the last CD-Audio and CD/MP3/VCD player is as well - there is getting to be little reason to remain with CD-R for PC to PC use, though really cheap machines may still have nothing better than a CD-ROM or CD-RW - though even entry-level systems usually scrape a combo drive these days.