Where can i download new firware for sony dwq120a

vbimport

can someone please enable a link for updated firmware for the sonydwq120a to be truthfull the drive has never worked since bought brand new :confused: i installed and uninstalled to no avail the cd rom that came with the hardware was nero oem obviously im not clued up about the situe but im all ears and willing to learn please help :sad:

Try here: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2295. Sony does a good job at hiding these from its websites. If the drive’s out of warranty, you can also crossflash to LiteOn SHM-160P6S firmware from codeguys.rpc1.org (PS0B) which may be more up-to-date than the Sony firmware.

I doubt this will solve your problems though, as the drive should work with the original firmware (when using good discs like Verbatim anyway). Make sure you connect it as Single Master with 80-wire ribbon cable.

Hi,

All links are dead. :frowning:

Sony does a good job at hiding these from its websites.
Indeed. After they had “reorganized” their website, most firmwares are vanished. Time to put Sony on the “don’t buy list” :a

Michael

At Sony website there is only the firmware of DW-[B]G[/B]120A :frowning:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the Sony DW-Q120A just a rebadged LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S? According to codeguys website it is: HERE
If that is true, couldn’t you download the official firmware from LiteOn, HERE and then just crossflash your Sony to it? That may help the drive function better, and provide you with the latest firmware (09/04/2006 according to LiteOn).

Hopefully someone with greater knowledge about crossflashing, etc. will chime in as well, but I had a SONY DVD RW DRU-700A and I successfully crossflashed to the LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S. Good Luck and keep us updated.

SuperG

Hi,

This was already stated by Cressida;) He also warned that any warranty is void after crossflashing. Also, you can’t use official firmwares for crossflashing, you need a patched one.

That may help the drive function better, and provide you with the latest firmware.
As Cressida already mentioned, the drive should work out of the box with the firmware that came with it. If it does not, then there is something wrong, that can not be solved with another firmware.

Michael

Thanks, I forgot that The Firmware Page linked to Sony’s downloads. Here’s another for mitchhilander, but it doesn’t have PYS3, only PYS2 and PYR2 (wrongly listed for the [B]G[/B]120A): http://www.cdr.cz/dvd_rekordery/sony/dwg120a.html - the links are good though :slight_smile:

Latest firmware isn’t always the best for all uses. I have a LiteOn SHM-165P6S for which I read posts that the latest MSOR firmware improved DL performance, but mine won’t burn SL Verbatim 8x -R or Playo 16x +R whereas flashing back to MSOP it burns all SL media tried. I recommend trying latest firmware and a couple of others before cross flashing which voids warranty if yours is within warranty. BTW I just got a Sony DRU-120A which shows up as DW-G120A in Nero which is likely very similar to yours, and it came with MYR5 firmware which works well for all SL media.

Hi,

Yes, the DW-G120A is sold as DRU-120A in the US.

which is likely very similar to yours,
DW-G120A = Liteon SHM-165P6S
DW-Q120A = Liteon SHW-160P6S

and it came with MYR5 firmware which works well for all SL media.
You can crossflash your Litey to that firmware :wink: There is also a MYS6 firmware for that drive. Sony distributed different firmwares for their retail versions - yes, that is confusing.

Greets,
Michael

Sorry, there is a typo in my post #8, and I actually have the DRU-120C not the DRU-120A. The DRU-120C shows up as DW-G120A, but the OP is inquiring about the sonydwq120a which probably explains the MYSx firmwares for the DW-Q120A drives versus the MYRx firmwares for the DW-G120A drives. Do you mean both drives may be flashed with either MYSx of MYRx firmwares? Also is my understanding correct that the SHM-165P6S is same as SHW-160P6S with DVD-RAM added? That would mean enabling DVD-RAM on a drive that didn’t originally have it if that’s true. Can a LiteOn SHM-165P6S be flashed with the Sony MYR5 firmware? The reason I ask is that another user replaced an LVW-5005 burner with the DRU-120C with MYR5 firmware resulting in no freeze on FW that’s experienced by myself and others with the SHM-165P6S with MSOP firmware used as LVW-5005 burner replacement. It’s also reasonable to expect SHW-160P6S drives could be flashed with the Sony MYR5 firmware for users who replaced LVW-5005 burner with SHW-160P6S drives to eliminate the FF freeze problem for the SHW-160P6S burner replacements too.