Where can I buy Verbatim DVD-R DL for around the same price as DVD+R DL?

Media seems pretty hard to find. I can only find sites that sell it per disc.

I don’t think you’re going to find -R DL at anything approaching the same price as the DL +R. Just not as common.
Rima.com and supermediastore.com both sell Verbatim -R DL in multi-packs. Rima has them in 3 packs, supermediastore has them in 3, 6, and 30 packs.

Is there any equipment requesting -R DL? :confused:

If not, I don’t really understand the reason not to use +R DL… enlighten me! :smiley:

Cheapest I have seen them HERE but still over $2.50 a piece :eek:

[QUOTE=Wizzu;2203226]Is there any equipment requesting -R DL? :confused:

If not, I don’t really understand the reason not to use +R DL… enlighten me! :D[/QUOTE]

I was told I’d get better compatibility for dual layer games for the Wii.

[QUOTE=andyd;2203257]I was told I’d get better compatibility for dual layer games for the Wii.[/QUOTE]

You could take a chance on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150322233448

They’re not labeled as Verbatim, but we believe they are made by the same company that makes Verbatim, the Mitsubishi Chemicals Corporation. We just found the listing and have ordered some for testing ourselves.

[QUOTE=andyd;2203257]I was told I’d get better compatibility for dual layer games for the Wii.[/QUOTE]Oh, I see… I hope you’re talking about backups of legally bought games, then.

Have you actually already tried +R DL and found issues with the Wii? Or are you prospecting before trying any backup, based on the fact that someone told you -R would be more compatible? Just curious.

I’m trying to play off a backup for Super Smash Brothers because my nephew scratched up some of my discs. He tends to play when I’m not at home and I’m concerned that the discs will become unplayable after a while. I did a network backup off of my disc and now just trying to play it but the video is choppy. Was told it may be due to the disc being +R

[QUOTE=andyd;2204065]I did a network backup off of my disc and now just trying to play it but the video is choppy. Was told it may be due to the disc being +R[/QUOTE]

:disagree:

The problem has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with the use of DVD+R DL media. NOTHING. I repeat, NOTHING.

Did you use Verbatim DVD+R DL? If so, were the discs made in Singapore or India?

What is the rated speed of the DL discs you’re using? What speed did you burn them at?

Does your burner auto-bitset DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM or did you manually bitset the disc to DVD-ROM?

What is the model number of your burner and what firmware version does it currently have?

[QUOTE=andyd;2204065]the video is choppy. Was told it may be due to the disc being +R[/QUOTE]I seriously doubt that. +R / -R compatibility with players is a bolean thing AFAIK, not a “more or less” one. :disagree:

More likely: low quality disc (most DL are really lousy), or low quality writing (so-so media/burner combination or too fast writing speed), or both. Please mention burner and media, brand and model for both. :slight_smile:

[quote=Wizzu;2204323]I seriously doubt that. +R / -R compatibility with players is a bolean thing AFAIK, not a “more or less” one. :disagree:[/quote]Translation:

A DVD+R/-R disc is either accepted or rejected depending on the player’s compatibility with DVD+R and DVD-R media. There’s nothing in between.

(Boolean value being either True or False). :flower:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2204329]Translation:

A DVD+R/-R disc is either accepted or rejected depending on the player’s compatibility with DVD+R and DVD-R media. There’s nothing in between.

(Boolean value being either True or False). :flower:[/QUOTE]Thanks Drage, I have indeed been quite lazy on this one… :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Wizzu;2204323]I seriously doubt that. +R / -R compatibility with players is a bolean thing AFAIK, not a “more or less” one. :disagree:

More likely: low quality disc (most DL are really lousy), or low quality writing (so-so media/burner combination or too fast writing speed), or both. Please mention burner and media, brand and model for both. :)[/QUOTE]

You forgetting that software can play a mayor role incase of DUAL/DOUBLE Layer. Seeing how someone suprisingly could burn some hongkong stuff withouth much problems with One programm and having a 100% failure rate with another programm.

Succesfull DL depends on drive, software and most importantly the media.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2204436]You forgetting that software can play a mayor role incase of DUAL/DOUBLE Layer. Seeing how someone suprisingly could burn some hongkong stuff withouth much problems with One programm and having a 100% failure rate with another programm. [/quote]Symptoms from bad software handling would be different than what the OP mentions. :disagree:
You’re talking failed burns, the OP is mentioning choppy video. :wink:

But yes, of course bad handling from the software is an usual issue with DL, when people call for help because of failed burns or discs not recognized by the player.
Which never happened to me at all again since the time I switched to IMGBurn. :cool:

The problem has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with the use of DVD+R DL media. NOTHING. I repeat, NOTHING.

Did you use Verbatim DVD+R DL? If so, were the discs made in Singapore or India?

What is the rated speed of the DL discs you’re using? What speed did you burn them at?

Does your burner auto-bitset DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM or did you manually bitset the disc to DVD-ROM?

What is the model number of your burner and what firmware version does it currently have?[/QUOTE]

I am using Verbatim DVD+R DL rated and burned at 2.4x. Not sure where the discs were made though - bought from Newegg. Trying to run Nero Infotool in Windows 7 but that’s not working

Burner is a Plextor 716A with firmware 1.11 (latest / final)

I’ve burned the image 4 times using Imgburn with a bitset mentioned over at instructables and I get the same results. Gameplay fine but video is choppy. People over at afterdawn have better success so I have no idea why I’m having issues. It’s definitely something to do with the the media or burn as the original plays perfectly

Can you burn them at 4x with the 716A? That’s the better speed.