Where can I buy printable music CD-R discs?

vbimport

I have a dedicated Philips machine that requires only music CD-R format disks. I also have an Epson printer that will print directly to printable disks.
For some reason I have been unable to find any major disk maker that produces a printable music CD-R disk. Surely SOMEONE must make such disks.

I did manage to locate one seller that offered printable music CD-R disks from a no name company out of Taiwan. I bought 100 from this company thru http://www.emediadepot.com/musiccdr.html . The disks initialized just fine and seemed to record the media but when I treid to finalize the disks, the machine wouldn’t finalize. This happened three times in a row. Maxell music CD-R disks worked just fine.

E-media was wonderful to work with and immediately authorized return of the defective disks but they didn’t know of any other source for them.

I sure hope someone can help me. I only need about 50 printable music CD-R disks but I have to believe that I am not the only one with this need.

If you are someone with the same need, please feel free to make your need known so that manufactures can see that there is a real need for this type of media. Thanks.

Isn’t it possible to record with the Philips machine and then copy with a normal CD burner to printable CD-R? :wink:

I guess that’s what I would do if I was in BAngell’s shoes, as after a quick search, printable audio CDRs seem to be extremely hard to find, at least around here! :doh:

Recording to a CD-RW Audio CD on the Philips recorder and then copying to CD-R would be an even better option, since the CD-RW can be reused.

As usual, [B]DrageMester[/B] puts his finger on the important point that is missing (or not explicit enough) in our input… :cool: :clap:

I’m glad to be of service! :smiley:

and before I forget…

BAngell, welcome to CDFreaks! :flower:

Thanks. That IS a viable work-around.

Does anyone know why none of the major CD makers make printable music CD-R disks? (I’m still not sure that NOBODY makes them.)

How about why those music CD-R disks from Taiwan (I wish I could remember the name of the company but the packaging said something about them being AAA, whatever that mans) seem to work but wouldn’t finalize?

This looks like a great place to come for information on CDs & DVDs. I believe that it is Memorex who showed their new line of printable media at CES that won’t smear and I am excited about that announcement. Seems to me if ANYBODY would make a printable music CD-R disk, it should be Memorex. They could easily corner the market.

I actually just found some at this link but $119 for 100 seems way overpriced especially when I really don’t need that many http://www.americal.com/pd/11278.html

OMG, that’s a ripoff! :eek:

The more I think about this, I’m not sure it makes much sense. If I could record a music CD to a music RW and then in my computer record to a regular printable CD-R I agree it could be done but why wouldn’t I just use the computer in the first place? And then what good is the Philips dedicated machine I own? And wouldn’t it take twice as long?

What really makes no sense to me is with the cheap Epson printers available that will print directly to disks why would anyone who prints small quantiities want the non-printable disks? Or to put it another way, logically there should be a greated market for printable music CD-R than for non-printable ones if they are reasonably priced and work. But so far I’ve only managed to find those that are either overpriced or which don’t work.

It depends on what source you’re recording from, and it might also depend on the quality of the audio input and analog-digital converter in your pc.

If you’re simply copying a CD, it’s much better and faster to just do it in your pc instead of using a standalone CD-RW recorder.

If you’re recording from an analog source such as e.g. tape or LP, then it’s possible that you’ll get a better result by recording to your Philips standalone recorder, if it has a better analog-digital converter including the analog signal chain that connects the input to the A/D converter.

The analog circuits in a pc can be quite noisy, and not all A/D converters are equally good.

What really makes no sense to me is with the cheap Epson printers available that will print directly to disks why would anyone who prints small quantiities want the non-printable disks? Or to put it another way, logically there should be a greated market for printable music CD-R than for non-printable ones if they are reasonably priced and work. But so far I’ve only managed to find those that are either overpriced or which don’t work.
Most people don’t print on their CD-R media, so the non-printable kind are manufactured in greater numbers which helps keeping the price down.

You beat me to it :slight_smile: - that’s what I assumed as being [B]BAngell[/B]'s purpose originally, because for digital sources, indeed, it makes not much sense to use a standalone recorder. :iagree:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/TDK_CD-R_Ink_Jet_Printable_Storage_Media_(50_pk)/CD-R80PWCB50/p/488935

Hi [B]daygecko[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

This thread hasn’t been active for a year and neither has the original poster BAngell, so I’m afraid your suggestion will probably not help the original poster.