Where are my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers?

vbimport

Why are my primary and secondary IDE channels listed as unknown in the Device Manager? Both DVD drives work fine.

Have you tried installing the mobo chipset drivers?

ahhhh maybe you need to load the drivers huh

dang spider cat beat me :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for the input! I checked the mobo and I need the latest Nvidia driver. It’s 82.3MB, so I’m downloading it now. I’m on dialup so this download is going to take the next 6 or 7 hours.

Once I get the new mobo driver, I’ll uninstall the current driver and install the new one. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction! :clap:

I downloaed the latest Nvidia mobo drivers for my chipset (GeForce 6150 Rev. A2 and Southbridge - Nvidia nForce 410/430 MCP) but they won’t install.

Even though I have uninstalled the exisiting drivers from add/remove programs, the mobo installation keeps telling me that it is removing previous drivers and then it reboots.

When it begins to install the new drivers, it again tells me it needs to remove old drivers and reboots again. It’s an endless cycle. I think I need to run a cleanup program in safe mode to remove the old drivers.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Try to manually update the “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”–all instances of them. [Right click on them -> Update Drivers -> [don’t search Windows Update] -> Manually Update -> [manually select the nVidia drivers, if listed]. The PATA ports might not have a dedicated device driver from nVidia, so you may have to just re-select the Standard … Controller driver and attempt to re-install it that way. If you get an error, please post a screenshot. :flower:

I installed the Nvidia mobo drivers and ended up like this:

[quote=Albert;2088905]Try to manually update the “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”–all instances of them. [Right click on them -> Update Drivers -> [don’t search Windows Update] -> Manually Update -> [manually select the nVidia drivers, if listed]. The PATA ports might not have a dedicated device driver from nVidia, so you may have to just re-select the Standard … Controller driver and attempt to re-install it that way. If you get an error, please post a screenshot. :flower:[/quote]As you can see from my screenshot, I now only have one “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller” left under “Unknown” in Device Manager.

I did the manual update as you suggested and even directed the update to look at the sata_ide and sataraid files within the Nvidia mobo drivers files. The manual update finished each time without any changes or updates made.

I thought that perhaps I should uninstall the Nvidia nForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controllers and see if Windows XP MCE 2005 reinstalls them in the correct place?