Where are all the RAMBUS gone?

vbimport

Hello CDFREAKS,
Is there a shortage of RAMBUS memory? I’ve
currently installed in my PC 512 mb of PC800 and would like to
add an additional 512mb of PC1066 RAMBUS. I’m finding that
it’s extremely difficult to locate a reseller in the UK that have any
PC1066 in stock. Can anyone living in the UK point me in the direction of a reseller where i can obtain the said RAMBUS. My first
preference is for SAMSUNG as my PC800 is made by SAMSUNG.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told.

There have been some legal issues with RAMBUS (the main reason why Intel “stopped” the development of new RAMBUS-chipsets. I don’t think RAMBUS is broke or dead though; Sis is working on a Quad-channel RAMBUS chipset (offering 10GB+/sec bandwidth heaps). And I think as soon as everything is cleared out, Intel will pick it up aswell. Memory-manufacturers are playing on the safe side by listening to the large demand on DDR-memory (easy economical law ;). This is (I think) the main reason why RAMBUS is so hard to find; shortage in supplies -> expensive -> stores don’t have them on the shelves. I had no problem ordering them in Belgium though (2-3 days), so they should be available in the UK as well.

Dual DDR doesn’t seem that good of a replacement btw; the newest 800MHz FSB mainboards only outperform RAMBUS when it’s overclocked to 900Mhz+ FSB. (PCmark memory: 89xx versus 84xx for my PC1066 RDRAM). So RAMBUS on a 533 Mhz FSB scores only 500 points less; imagine what RAMBUS on a 800Mhz FSB would score…

RAMBUS is doing what they always have, developed new memory tech. But they stay away from legal actions and have accepted that they lost the fight to DDR.
Currently rambus is designing memory to the PS3.

It’s just that PC1066 RDRAM market is too little compared to the general DDR PC2100/2700/3200 market. I can have Samsung PC1066 RDRAM if I want but the cost is yet too prohibitive. Right now, DDR modules are so cheap that I’d like to spend money on only DDR.

Originally posted by Airhead
RAMBUS is doing what they always have, developed new memory tech. But they stay away from legal actions and have accepted that they lost the fight to DDR.
Currently rambus is designing memory to the PS3.

SIS, Samsung, Asus and Rambus are also developing the R659 chipset for release in Q3. Quad channel 1200 and 1333MHz and support for 800Mhz FSB. A theoretical 9.6GB/sec bandwidth :eek:

Yep, got a mail from RAMBUS the other day, I asked them about the 659 chipset and if I could use my 16bit PC1066 RDRAM on it:

xxxxxx

Thank you very much for your question that you submitted through Design & Reuse.com on SiS/Rambus joint development on the SiS659 chipset.

We are very excited about the development of this chipset as it will provide the highest performance memory subsystem for the most advanced Intel Pentium 4 Processors - 9.6GB/s of memory when used with 4 PC1200 Rambus® RDRAM modules. The chipset will also support slower grades of RDRAM memory.

As far as the actual memory module configuration that will be supported in actual PC motherboards, this will be up to the individual motherboard vendor. The chipset is being designed to support both 16-bit and 32-bit RDRAM modules. However, it will be up to the motherboard vendors to determine which type of memory modules they will build into their systems.

Please watch for more press announcements from Rambus, SiS and it’s motherboard partners later in the year regarding specific product details.

I hope that this answers your question.

Sincerely,
Brian Smith
Business Development Manager, Rambus Inc.

So it’s up to Asus whether I’d need to get 32 bit or not. :slight_smile:

just wait for the yellowstone RDRAM, it will be much faster as the upcoming DDR2.
nothing new besides that.

Originally posted by Maelstrom
just wait for the yellowstone RDRAM, it will be much faster as the upcoming DDR2.
And much more expensive… Why can we never have it all?

Originally posted by Airhead
And much more expensive… Why can we never have it all?

just my thoughts :wink: