When will the Pioneer BDR-205 be available in the UK?

vbimport

Looked on Amazon and lead time is 3-5 weeks in the UK, also found a few other UK sites but they have no stock and no ETA or availability.

Does anyone know when this drive will be available in retail in the UK?

Apparently Pioneer Europe have withdrawn from the European PC components market following a strategic restructuring of the company so it looks like it won’t be available directly in the UK.

Amazon UK seem to have it in stock now though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2479784]
Amazon UK seem to have it in stock now though.
[/QUOTE]

Where have you seen one in stock? I had a look at Amazon.uk and the search returned just one result, for which it says “Usually dispatched within 3 to 5 weeks.” :eek:

Amazon USA has 10 of the damn things in stock :frowning:

Amazon UK still has 3-5 week lead time IF they can actually get them! Think I’ll drop them an email and see if they know what’s going on.

[QUOTE=cvs;2479804]Where have you seen one in stock? I had a look at Amazon.uk and the search returned just one result, for which it says “Usually dispatched within 3 to 5 weeks.” :eek:[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my mistake.

It wasn’t showing as out of stock and I misread that. :o

Looks like you’ll have to wait a few weeks for one then. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Don’t worry I’ve misread things before Wobbler, errr… sorry, Wombler :slight_smile:

Thing is, do we really NEED the 12x speed for Blu-Ray burning, and more’s the point, what media could burn at 12x if I did get it? I can get the Retail 8x version, Pioneer BDR-S03XLB from almost anywhere and was wondering if it’s worth getting that instead of waiting and waiting and waiting for the BDR-205 to show up in either OEM or Retail?

Apart from the 12x speed is the 8x Pioneer just as good as the newer 12x Pioneer?

One of the best things about the drive is not the 12x burning, it’s the ability to overspeed almost all 4x media to 10x.

The drawback however is it won’t overspeed 2x media.

I read that in the review, burning a 25GB BD-R at 8x from the BRD-203 review took 14m 49s, burning a 25GB BD-R at 10x from the BRD-205 review took 11m 18s, so a saving of about 3 1/2 mins :clap:

Think I might just wait a bit longer and see what the new year brings!

I think that the new Plextor Blu-ray PX-B940SA is a Pioneer BDR-205 design

And the Plex will be sold in Europe:
http://www.plextor.be/products/blu-ray/px-b940sa.html

Already looked at that but not seen any reviews, hence the leaning towards the Pioneer 205. The PX-B940SA is available right now in quite a few UK stores though, but about £50 more than the Pioneer.

Until I find a review that shows which BD-R media burns at 10x or 12x in the Plex or it’s a rebadged 205 I can’t think of getting that over the Pioneer.

[QUOTE=Web-Junkie;2480436]I can get the Retail 8x version, Pioneer BDR-S03XLB from almost anywhere and was wondering if it’s worth getting that instead of waiting and waiting and waiting for the BDR-205 to show up in either OEM or Retail?
[/QUOTE]

I’ve got the BDR-S03XLB (retail BDR-203) and it is an excellent drive! Way way better than the 6x and 8x LG drives which compared with it are absolute rubbish (I speak from experience! :wink: ).

As for the PX-B940SA, given that it is a retail drive, its cost won’t be that much larger than the cost of a retail Pioneer drive (BDR-S05XLB) once that finally arrives in the UK.

I’ve now ordered the Plextor PX-B940SA as cvs pointed out in my other thread: Any reviews of the Plextor PX-B940SA 12x BD-R drive? it appears to be a Pioneer 205 in disguise!!

So hopefully sometime next week I’ll be able to a least watch some Blu-Rays if not burn some, still not sure what is 'decen’t BD-R media available in the UK!!