When will CD-R/+RW be phased out?

With DVD-+RW prices falling I can see a point at which manufacturing CD-R/+RW will become unviable. The costs will mean that it is more economic to just go with DVD-+RW drives.

The same may or may not go for CD-R/+RW media. Although the cost of DVD-+RW media is still overpriced IMO (Even if relative to CD recordable media it is actually better value if you only buy the cost effective brands and not the brand name stuff complete with their packaging).

I’m holding off upgrading to a DVD rewriter as I am waiting for a point whereby CD rewriters are going the way of the dodo and DVD rewriters are not just very affordable but whereby the media is closer to current CD-R media. Of course I don’t expect DVD media to drop to the price of CD media for a long time (If at all) but if it was half the price it is now then I could see it being very much worthwhile.

Also what with dual layered recorders and media nd 16x recording around the corner I can see that being the point (Along with cost of) at which it will be explosive in a sales perspective.

Then we can move on to other storage forms such as Blu-Ray with 4 layered discs holding 100GB on the horizon :slight_smile:

I think that CD-R will be popular for quite a while, as CDs will be used for various purposes for quite some time (music, software, games, photo’s).

Since I bought my DVD writer I hardly used CDs anymore, per MB, DVD media is cheaper, saves a lot of space etc etc… but that’s me orfcourse :wink:

Hey, floppy disks are still around aren’t they?:slight_smile:

Hey, floppy disks are still around aren’t they?

Unfortunatly.

When people stop using floppies, CDR/W will just replace them :).
DVD±R/±RW will become the new CDR/W’s…

It’s a viscous cycle.

They will probably around for a few more years. not every pc has a dvd drive it yet, Nor does everyone have a dvd player yet either!!

CD-R drive and media manufacturers are going to continue to produce them until at least 2006.

To me, CD-R and CD-RW media are as useless as floppy and VHS.

The very moment I can buy AOD or Blu-ray PC drives and media, I will give up DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W) entirely.

Originally posted by Kenshin
[B]CD-R drive and media manufacturers are going to continue to produce them until at least 2006.

To me, CD-R and CD-RW media are as useless as floppy and VHS.

The very moment I can buy AOD or Blu-ray PC drives and media, I will give up DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W) entirely. [/B]

Which seems great on the face of it - but you may end up losing the lot!

Great quality cdr’s such as TY will probably last many tens of years if stored properly, no one knows just how good any dvdr media is. If you move on to blue-ray, deep-blue-ray or ultra-blue ray (the last 2 I made up) you may lose 100GB’s of stuff due to media rot, dye changes, layer problems.

Don’t write off trusty cdr’s just yet.

It’s a viscous cycle.

Is that like treacle? :wink:

Isn’t that a book by Piers Anthony? :slight_smile:

June 4, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Won’t optical storage be made obsolete soon enough (for certain uses) by better bigger flash memory?
I know I’ve stopped burning “little” multisession CDs for transferring files since buying a 246Mb usb pen drive.
Only a matter of time before seriously huge (at least rivalling a DVD) and easily portable flash storage is cheaply available, then I think this will be a challenge to optical storage in some respects, mainly people sharing data between their hard disks.
DVD writing will make CDs obsolete for paranoid data backup, but CDs will hang around just like cassettes. Hell, I still use cassettes for recording voice. If my classroom was equipped with a minidisc playing system that would be a different story though. Will minidiscs be made obsolete by good flash memory recorders? Already I begin to tire of this topic.:confused:

Good to produce both flash memory and ODD products. Among the big three ODD makers, only Samsung does.

Originally posted by icey
Great quality cdr’s such as TY will probably last many tens of years if stored properly, no one knows just how good any dvdr media is. If you move on to blue-ray, deep-blue-ray or ultra-blue ray (the last 2 I made up) you may lose 100GB’s of stuff due to media rot, dye changes, layer problems.

I never bought thousands of Taiyo Yuden CD-R media. Most CD-R media I bought were made by CMC, Prodisc, and Ritek.

I’m very sure Sony Blu-ray media are safer than them.

I was talking about present technologies that are already commercially available, not some SF fantasy on Star Trek. I said “the moment I can buy” because right now it costs more than 10,000,000 Won to buy one unit of HD-DVD camcorder, one unit of HD-DVD recorder, and 100 units of 23GB HD-DVD media. I’ll have to wait much less compared to the time I had to wait for DVD recordables.

Originally posted by Kenshin
The very moment I can buy AOD or Blu-ray PC drives and media, I will give up DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W) entirely.

That’s fine with us if you’re a millionaire, or have a VERY nice job.
As, for the ordinary ppl here in Greece Blu-ray is fiction.
I’ll hang on to CD’s and DVD’s (just bought my recorder).

Originally posted by RedHatted
That’s fine with us if you’re a millionaire, or have a VERY nice job.
As, for the ordinary ppl here in Greece Blu-ray is fiction.
I’ll hang on to CD’s and DVD’s (just bought my recorder).

Blu-ray’s much cheaper than Lexus or college education. (That I could never afford.)

I don’t have any job right now because I cannot leave my wife alone who has suffered cerebral palsy since 1974. I don’t have millions of dollars but have nothing but about 200K USD debt. That’s all. My wife tried to kill herself by taking some drug twice in this summer alone so I gave up trying to make any efforts to reconcile between making money and taking care of home. One time miscarriage in June and another baby’s in her womb now, about 12 weeks old.

Using Blu-ray or CD is just personal dedication and needs. South Korea is not even as rich as Greece but just a lot more dedicated to the latest electronics and computer technologies (especially that can be sold in the US market well.) You Greeks did not have to die of famine and war as milions of Koreans have. Fear is the most powerful factor in human lives. South Koreans work in HDTV and DVD industries just to survive as a human being and as a nation. Most of you Westerners are at least hundreds of times richer than me. (PM me if not and I’ll literally give you free home and food if you are worth it.)

CDFreaks moderators are not here because they are too rich to spend time on CDFreaks instead of more profitable things, like jobs and study to become MD or lawyer. They were given the job only because of dedication.

I buy CD and DVD just for my forum people in South Korea. Not for myself. I sometimes work for money and I spend most of the earned money for forum works.

Anyway, I apologize for any misunderstanding or need of better words.

I’ll try to concentrate on hard posts and think less frequently on other matters.

On my own site (South Korean), I strongly discourage anyone under 30 from becoming too active so that people over 30 can lead the forum without any worry to have to read careless and less thoughtful posts. It works very well. Rude posters are removed asap.