When usb flash is toast?

vbimport

I recently got a 16gb usb flash drive from MicroCenter (brand) which was free (after coupon). And wouldn’t ya know it, the damn thing doesn’t work… I think I need to get it exchanged!

When a flash drive ends up with that dreaded (no media) insert media message… is it basically toast or what? I still get an led flash and a drive letter… but that’s about it…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2735492]I recently got a 16gb usb flash drive from MicroCenter (brand) which was free (after coupon). And wouldn’t ya know it, the damn thing doesn’t work… I think I need to get it exchanged!

When a flash drive ends up with that dreaded (no media) insert media message… is it basically toast or what? I still get an led flash and a drive letter… but that’s about it…[/QUOTE]

Did you try it in another computer? That would test whether or not it was working or dead.

I think I formatted the drives in EXFAT format and then the drive was suddenly “DEAD” to windows… and no device I put it in could change that… since I don’t have any mac products, I don’t know if it would be retrievable… so I just dropped it back off at MicroCenter & let it be their problem…

but now I know… it’s either fat32 or ntfs for me…