When to upgrade Video Card?

vbimport

I know I don't need to upgrade now (Geforce3Ti500) but what is the steady trend for updating your graphics card? Do you wait until you run across a game that won't work, or does one need to buy one maybe every two years just to be prepared for good things. The reason I ask is that I got my card this past Christmas and was wondering how long will it be before I need to buy a new one?

As you like!But I prefer Ti200 or 4200 to Ti500,cheaper and more overclockable.

Wait as long as possible.

I’ve bought just about 5 videocards in my entire life for the pc.
about two of them were crappy in 3d . there was no need for accelerated stuff then. (Tseng Labs ET4000 was the best of those old ones)

It all started a little when i bought a Rendition Verite 2200 card. Costed me about $100 and i’ve played a lot of games with it. Since it’s a full opengl card i could do Quake II with it at no problem and even the demo of Quake III worked flawlessly on it.

Then it was time to upgrade and i chose for a Voodoo 3000 PCI (again , about $100) (Which still works in my P1 as of today) and i have had a lot of fun with this card. I can play Quake III Arena on my P1 with this card. I played Return To Castle Wolfenstein on this card and my Athlon 900 PC. Worked great.

After a couple of years (we’re in 2002 now) it was time again to upgrade and i’ve chosen for an Asus 7100 Geforce 2 MX 400 64MB version , which works like a charm. ($100 again … do i sense a pattern ?)

Sure … no card described above here does all the neat things and doesn’t do them in maximum fps or resolutions , but it’s affordable and playable.

So for me , about every 2 / 2,5 years i buy a new card. Depends on the prices of what i want.

Originally posted by Jon Jewell
I know I don’t need to upgrade now (Geforce3Ti500) but what is the steady trend for updating your graphics card? Do you wait until you run across a game that won’t work, or does one need to buy one maybe every two years just to be prepared for good things. The reason I ask is that I got my card this past Christmas and was wondering how long will it be before I need to buy a new one?

Simple answer: when it stops giving satisfactory performance! :bigsmile:

I am using a 2 year old Matrox G400 32MB that I got for $40 used last year it it was one of the best deals I ever made, bang for the buck-wise. It gives me excellent performance for all my apps and games.

When should you upgrade? To be reasonable, never when the card comes out. Wait a few months to get it a drastically reduced price. That applies to all computer parts as well. You pay dearly to be the first on the block with the new snazzy toy. It all depends on your priorities. I paid my Lite-ON 40X twice as much a few months ago as it goes for now :o