When should "Set Booktype to DVD-ROM" be enabled?

vbimport

Anyone:

There is a setting under DVD Fab Platinum:
Settings >>> Set Booktype to DVD-ROM

QUESTION 1:
When should “Set Booktype to DVD-ROM” be enabled?
What are the advantages of setting it to “ON”

QUESTION 2:
When should “Set Booktype to DVD-ROM” be disabled?
What are the advantages of setting it to “OFF”

QUESTION 3:
Why wouldn’t you always enable the “Set Booktype to DVD-ROM” setting?

Thanks.

With +R disks Booktype to DVD-ROM enhances compatibility with certain standalone players. Not supported by every writer.

And, CDfreaks is so cool that it has automatically provided you with a link to this issue as well.

Short answer is that players expect to see DVD-ROM discs since this is format commercial DVDs are produced. DVD-R is more compatible and booktype cannot be set to DVD-Rom. DVD+R is not compatible with older players so setting booktype to DVD-ROM tricks the player into thinking the disc is a DVD-ROM, but it remains a DVD+R because it was not a real change.

Mack

Dear BIGMACNC:

Thanks for the explanation.
Nice, simple and to the point.

My next question is as follows.
Why wouldn’t you always just leave the setting relating to “Set Booktype to DVD-ROM” to be always enabled?
Based on your explanation, it appears that there is nothing to lose by leaving this setting always enabled???

Any comments?

Thanks.

Setting DVD-Rs to DVD-Rom causes problems. I use a BenQ 1625 burner that comes with a program called QSuite that allows the burner to be set to always burn +Rs as DVD-ROM. Your burner may have this type of setup program too, if so you can set it to burn all +Rs to DVD-ROM and not have to worry with setting it each time.

Mack

Dear Mack:

You stated in your earlier response:
“Setting DVD-Rs to DVD-Rom causes problems.”

So that I can better understand, what are these “problems”?

Regards.

To be honest I am not sure where I read it and that -R booktype should never be set but will get back with you.

Mack

Here are some links about media:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/index.htm

Mack

It will make no difference in regards to burning a -R disc if bitsetting is enabled as it is a writing instruction that is enabled only when +R discs are used , it is not possible to bitset a -R disc .As bigmacnc has stated he uses QSuite whic in fact is exactly the same as what you are refering to so you can leave it enabled if you wish . I myself use a software to burn which has auto bitsetting enabled and have never had any issues at all .