When do You last time use Audio Cassette

Hello! Before few days I am cleaning my room and find a box of audio cassettes, which I recorded from 1988-2000. What a great memories! And they are still in great condition. Altough I transfered most of them to CD, I find myself in nostalgia, and listened few of them… :wink:

I am intersted did anyone still using audio tapes to record and listen the sound, or they are slowly gone… (I am using them sometimes in car radio), and what do You think what is (was) cons and pros of audio cassette compared to CD…

Thanx!!!

I still transfer music to cassettes for a few of my riding friends whos older Harley’s have cassette players. The pro being that their bikes have cassette players and the con is that their bike does not have the newer setups with CD/MP3 players on them.

“pros and cons of a audio cassette vs a CD?”

well me personally i think a CD is superior in pretty much every way… so i rarely if ever use tapes anymore for the most part.

I still have a lot of old audio cassettes gathering dust - most of them now converted to digital files.
The only time I use them now is if husband has taken my iPod and I want to listen to music when I go out for a walk or run - I still have an old walkman somewhere at home.

Soon I will just buy husband his own MP3 player :iagree:

When I got my “Newer” Car in 2001 and it has a CD not tape player my old tapes have not been played. The tapes could play even if the player bounced around, but it was hard to find the one track I wanted.

I still use cassette tapes! Actually I think high quality cassettes seem to have a warmer sound than a CD. I found a place on ebay that sells a boatload of tapes and the shipping is very cheap.

I use a micro cassette to hold program code for a Sharp EL5500III calculator that I still use. I wrote several programs for it back in the late 1980s that are very useful for civil engineering work to design ditches, vertical curves for roadways, survey solutions etc. I even have several people that bought the same calculator 20 years ago periodically request I reload them because their batteries died and the programs were lost. Other than this I can’t remember the last time I used a cassette.

Just yesterday. My Pickup truck has an AM/FM Radio with Casette player and I keep a tape in it for those moments when the commercial stations are running ads and NPR is more boring than usual.

[QUOTE=reelone;2107762]I still use cassette tapes! Actually I think high quality cassettes seem to have a warmer sound than a CD.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

Its been…years…since I’ve used one.
They are hard to find now though. The libraries have even switched over to CDs for audio books.

I still have a 3 head Denon deck with closed loop capstan drive, adjustable bias, dolby c and HXpro. I have loaned it to my step dad has he has many audio cassettes he wants to convert to CD and I never used it anymore. I even still have 5 brand new metal Maxell tapes that are probably way over 10 years old.
Once I got a CD burner I pretty much gave up on analog tape but still wanted the option should a need to transfer something or listen to it arise.
Back when I started building my very first stereo system for myself the first thing I bought was a Akai 4000ds MK II reel to reel back about 77 while I was in High School, That was the best sounding tape system you could get then, at least the format was. I didn’t have a car yet and I wanted the best dubs of records and FM I could get. Later Cassettes finally became good enough for me to consider so I started doing both formats, cd was not even a glimmer on the horizon yet. After a while I quit using the R to R and went to the smaller format, it sounded about as good and was way easier to store and use because of size, then we got cars…
I finally traded the Akai and all the tapes I had away and used the cassette machines after about 89 exclusively. I got a PC about 90, a cd burner about 98, and after that the tape units were done.
Just recently I picked up a few Akai Glass headed reel to reels as my step dad found a bunch of 30 to 50 year old tapes he forgot about and I converted all of the working ones to cd for him. Now I remember the cool part about tape, it’s huge, it’s heavy, and if the machine is working right and is tuned to the tape it still sounds great. BUT you can’t hardly find new blank tapes, and the ones that are made cost about $35 each for the top qaulity ones, used tapes are a crap shoot as they are so old there may have turned to sticky goo by now and wont play or record, the good brands and types are well known and can cost as much as a new tape sometime… I was paying about 5 each for top quality Maxell ud-3590 tapes, and maybe 2 bucks each for the same thing or close on cassettes.
Now everybody listens to records again, I don’t miss the snaps, pops, and general noise on a typical record, though my lil sisters hubby has a maga dollar turntable that can make vinyl sound awesome, but it still sounds like a record…:bigsmile:
Anyways been playing with audio for a long time, so just had to throw all that in :cool:

I only stopped using audio cassettes in my vehicle
january of this year ('08)

I already had a CD changer in my daily driver vehicle so I listened to mostly CD’s and my love for the audio cassette was based mostly on the fact is that they were most easily handled in a vehicle in motion and immune to scratching or “ketchup fingerprints” and the like…

I still have a considerable ammount of music I like that I don’t have on any digital format but I am gradually correcting that.

I have also stopped carrying ANY original CD’s in my vehicles and the fact that my daily use CD’s are all burned copies makes me car less about the potential of dammaging a disc.

I’m waiting for the long cold winter to start copying my tapes and vinyl to mp3 files (they’ll be stored as WAV files only long enough to edit out the various noises)

AD