When did you realize you were using crap blank DVDs?

vbimport

Hi all,

First, I realized in the Fall of 2005 with the help of this forum. I had 2 year old TDK disc go bad on me.

Next, i ordered some Maxell from buy.com that would be unreadable within two months. I later discovered that i received the 50-spindle of notorious Ritek G05 instead of TYG01 that Maxell had used earlier that year.

After that i replaced all my non-TY media Taiyo Yuden TYG03 or TYG02.

NBK

In the case of DVDs, I already knew what was good/bad going in. However, as a first purchase, I still ended up with a spool of RitekG05 because of a packaging mistake (thought I would get Maxell’s Japanese made media).

Yeah, they degrade for sure. Discs burned okay initially, but many now struggle through a transfer rate test. Fortunately, I was already aware of the uproar over the G05, so I only used them for testing.

As for CD-Rs, I bought a burner expecting media to last no more than a few years. During the late 90s, I witnessed a friend’s Princo collection become unreadable (to the point that no standalone player or CD-ROM drive could even detect the discs) within half a year, so I never trusted the technology as anything but temporary storage. In that regard, I guess these boards made me more willing to use CD-Rs for low cost archiving.

[QUOTE=NBK;2534985]Hi all,

First, I realized in the Fall of 2005 with the help of this forum. I had 2 year old TDK disc go bad on me.

Next, i ordered some Maxell from buy.com that would be unreadable within two months. I later discovered that i received the 50-spindle of notorious Ritek G05 instead of TYG01 that Maxell had used earlier that year.

After that i replaced all my non-TY media Taiyo Yuden TYG03 or TYG02.

NBK[/QUOTE]

Hey NBK :slight_smile:

About the same time as you, oddly enough. But replace “TDK disc” with “Datawrite Yellow (RITEK G05) discS” :wink:

Verbatim or TY from then on for me, although for plain “everyday use”, i.e. stuff that wasn’t important, or that I had backed up elsewhere, I have still been known to use brands other than TY/Verbatim :wink:

CDs, can’t remember, my brain doesn’t work that well at just after 8:30am!

EDIT: If it hadn’t been for CDF, I wouldn’t have had a clue about replacing the discs, reburning them, or what brands to use :clap:

Same year, same brand…learned that the media is crap when took out a disc some months after the burn…none of my players could cope with it.

No more TDK :Z for me since that time.

5 or 6 years ago. I had the same experience with Maxell RICOHJPN-R01-002 as the op.