When burning is light blinking normal?

vbimport

im a noob so i dont know squat. i bought an external dvd writer few weeks ago and wanted to know when burning is the light pose to be blinking like green, orange, green, orange? or does it pose to stay at just one color? when i hooked the usb it say low speed something so i guess the laptop is a 1.1 usb im going to get the 2.0 cardbus soon. the blinking thing is it cause of the 1.1 usb or is this normal?and is it safe to be using the writer even though its a 2.0usb but the laptop is 1.1 usb? and is adaptec 2.0 usb any good??
thank you

USB 1.1 can’t supply your external USB 2.0 burner with data fast enough.

Green light when burning normal, and orange light flashes because of Buffer Underrun.

Adaptec 2.0 USB should be fine, but I don’t know enough about cardbus devices to tell for sure…

what does buff underrun mean? so its not safe to use the external writer till i get a cardbus? and when it burns the light is pose to stay green all the time correct?? thanks

Buffer Underrun means that the drives buffer (internal memory) is empty, and with no data to write it stops writing and wait for data. When the buffer is filled it starts writing again.

You can use the drive, but with long burntimes, because of USB 1.1.

The light is supposed to green all the time.

By the way what burner do you have. My guess is a LiteON.

Depends on the burner. Some BTC burners use green for read and orange/yellow for write. Other burners use green for read and red for firmware upgrade. Depends on the vendor/model of the hardware. Go to their web site and look for specs.

i have the mad dog external. so it is still safe to burn with the light blinking right? cause i burn some movie and it came out good. though i am still going to get the 2.0 cardbus cause it does take long. thanks for the answers jbv and eightpaws.

Yes, it’s safe to burn.

hello,i purchased a samsung dual layer dvd burner & cannot burn dvd movies,it reads the movie but has problems writing the movie.After attempting to write the dvd i get a error message,it says go to view log for error discription.out of 30 recordable disc i was only able to burn 10 dvd disc.it seemed to do better on -dvd recordable disc & in the process of recording my samsung burner would not even recognize the +dvd recordable disk,sometimes the +dvd disc would burn 1 hour 20min dvds & most times it would not.i have did the firmware tSO6 update.i had originaly had tSO4 version.Please help.my dell tech help line has had me reformatt my computor numerous times but that has not helped with my problem.i have windows xp home edition.