What's Your Preferred Cloud Storage?

vbimport

Last time we discuss how to store your videos here, and there is an option is about Cloud Storage, maybe it is not good for storing videos, but there are still a lot of people use it to store and sync files between different devices. So how about you, are you using such services? If yes, which one if your favorite? Here is an simple infographic for the introduction of 8 most used Cloud Storage service.

Check the original blog post about the Cloud Storage here if you got any interest.

Personally speaking, I always use such service for storing files and sync them between my mobile phone and PC, and the most used is Dropbox : )

I mainly use Google Drive and Dropbox and occasionally Amazon Cloud Drive, with them all being the free versions. I don’t use any cloud provider for backing up data, just mainly for syncing purposes. I have around 500GB of photos and video and besides the storage cost, just imagine trying to upload all that over my sluggish 384k DSL uplink… :slight_smile:

Google Drive is very handy for OCR, e.g. I can upload PDF files and scanned images and it extracts the text.

My mobile phone came with a 2 year 25GB Dropbox subscription, so I use it for syncing the phone’s pictures and video with my PC. Once the subscription expires, I’ll likely switch it to Google Drive as it has a 15GB capacity.

I have a Kindle Fire, so the Amazon Cloud Drive is handy for syncing books to it, usually PDF files and DRM-free books I buy outside of Amazon.

As for what cloud service I’d avoid - That would be OneDrive. The business version is terribly resource intensive and also modifies files stored on it to add meta data. While the personal OneDrive doesn’t appear to be a resource hog, I still have certain issues with it - For example, it automatically downscales images synced to it (at least when I last tried it) and the PC version only syncs with Windows 7 and 8. The other cloud providers work on Windows Vista and even the obsolete Windows XP.

For backing up my photos and video, I stick with a combination of memory cards and external hard disks. Memory cards are so cheap that once a card fills up, I just get another, much like rolls of film.

@Sean, it seems you had tried a lot of options there and finally got your favorite ones, congratulations.

And thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us, it could save us a lot of them to try one by one : )

I dont use any cloud storage for any serious backup, I prefer to have my files stored on an external hard drive.
I do have some files on google drive, but these are there just in case I need to access them when I am not home.

[QUOTE=vroom;2727981]I dont use any cloud storage for any serious backup, I prefer to have my files stored on an external hard drive.
I do have some files on google drive, but these are there just in case I need to access them when I am not home.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you, important files are usually stored in safe places.:clap:

None

(except a few files on Droopbox which I may need for teaching random Germans in random places when I don´t have my lappy with me)

It seems most of us just use the cloud storage for temporary files instead of storing important ones.

[QUOTE=WS_Christine;2727916]Personally speaking, I always use such service for storing files and sync them between my mobile phone and PC, and the most used is Dropbox : )[/QUOTE]

This is what I do makes it easier to sync but also the file I upload there is encrypted so there is also a measure of security as well.

[QUOTE=vroom;2727981]I dont use any cloud storage for any serious backup, I prefer to have my files stored on an external hard drive.
I do have some files on google drive, but these are there just in case I need to access them when I am not home.[/QUOTE]

That is what I do as well. I have multiple HDD that the data is stored at in my Tower so that should the main drive fail those data are safe and can still be retrieved. I never store important files on the Cloud(Server Farm) aka all the hacks we been hearing to get those data from the users to sell. And I use a USB memory stick to store as well my data when I am away from my computer just another layer of protection from prying eyes.