What's your favourite Smartphone OS?

vbimport

As the title says. What’s your favourite smartphone OS. I’m also curious why.

Since I always like to play around with my phone by trying one or the other customised firmware and kernels is my personal favourite Android. Negative here are only the required rights of many free apps and the fact that Android market only accepts credit cards for payment.

I was also playing around with iOS which is imho also a very good OS. There are also a few good things imho, one is the possible sync via wlan. It really works great. However overall iOS is to “boxed” for my needs, even with the possible jailbreaks and resulting possible modifications.

I’m curious to see your votes, keep them coming.

Android, i never saw anything that will get me exited over the IOS.

Android. Innovation. IOS is too dumbed down for the masses. Blackberry and Microsoft have been stagnant for some time.

Android. It’s a pity that Symbian is practically dead now though.

Yeah, symbian was not bad.

I still use a Symbian phone (Nokia N95).

The battery life on modern smartphones doesn’t exactly encourage me to change either. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I voted Android, I like the fact that it’s open and with ICS I think it has improved so much that it’s at least on par with e.g. IOS. My girlfriend got an Ipad for a gift and I never got really used to it, besides that it seems you have to pay for nearly everything on IOS while on Android I’ve seen a lot of free gems.

I have one of those not so smart phones that just make phone calls and tells me the time.I never have any problems and a charge last about two weeks if I don’t make any calls…

[QUOTE=marloyd;2630660]I have one of those not so smart phones that just make phone calls and tells me the time.I never have any problems and a charge last about two weeks if I don’t make any calls… [/QUOTE]

Mine would go for two weeks but I top it up once a week in work. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Mine would also go for two weeks but must have it powered off to achieve this. lol.

I think everyone who wants to use a modern smartphone must accept to charge the phone every two days at least. My SGS2 must be charged every two days.

@Domi it’s true that there are much more free apps for Android but you must accept much more rights of the apps in your phone just an examle. Why needs Angry Birds access to the phone stats???

Ok you can easily block the internet access of many apps by rooting the phone and installing a firewall. There are also ways to block access to other functions too. But in all cases you must have more knowledge than the average user.

[QUOTE=H3rB3i;2630995]Mine would also go for two weeks but must have it powered off to achieve this. lol.

I think everyone who wants to use a modern smartphone must accept to charge the phone every two days at least. My SGS2 must be charged every two days.

@Domi it’s true that there are much more free apps for Android but you must accept much more rights of the apps in your phone just an examle. Why needs Angry Birds access to the phone stats???

Ok you can easily block the internet access of many apps by rooting the phone and installing a firewall. There are also ways to block access to other functions too. But in all cases you must have more knowledge than the average user.[/QUOTE]
The average user must understand that there’s no such thing as a free lunch, and by that I mean free app.
For an advanced user, LBE privacy guard or similar firewall obliterates Angry Birds leaky attitude towards privacy.

I like android because it’s free, open source, and highly customizable.

iOS is the same … for everyone.
How boring. It particularly irks me how many people use one of the standard iphone ringtones … and Apple needs to get it’s act together and provide alot more ringtones … but then, I guess that impacts on their ringtone sales … and provides consumers with more choice … and Apple is against that.

[QUOTE=debro;2631049]The average user must understand that there’s no such thing as a free lunch, and by that I mean free app.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed for grown up people, but the problem I see is specially realted to the kids, at least here in our area. Because of the cheap all in contracts from the mobile providers (example 1000min , 1000 text messages and unlimited internet for € 16/month) more and more kids are getting smartphones. A 12 year old kid simply doesn’t care what it allows an app on the phone, it want’s the app and it’s free. How can you protect your kid when you are a non experiensed user like, let me say 90+ percent of the people.

I think here has a boxed system like iOS a clear advantage compared to Android. I’m also a big Android fan but from some points of view it’s not a good solution.

[QUOTE=debro;2631049]
iOS is the same … for everyone.
How boring. It particularly irks me how many people use one of the standard iphone ringtones … and Apple needs to get it’s act together and provide alot more ringtones … but then, I guess that impacts on their ringtone sales … and provides consumers with more choice … and Apple is against that.[/QUOTE]

Not at all, if you an experienced user and don’t mind on Jailbreaking then you are able to customise your iOS device in a nice way.

As for the ringtones, it’s pretty easy to create own tones. Just a few steps which everyone can do.

I’m a proud Windows Phone 7 user, but I miss WM 6.5. It was a bit difficult to use at times but very customisable.

[QUOTE=H3rB3i;2631085]Agreed for grown up people, but the problem I see is specially realted to the kids, at least here in our area. Because of the cheap all in contracts from the mobile providers (example 1000min , 1000 text messages and unlimited internet for € 16/month) more and more kids are getting smartphones. A 12 year old kid simply doesn’t care what it allows an app on the phone, it want’s the app and it’s free. How can you protect your kid when you are a non experiensed user like, let me say 90+ percent of the people.

I think here has a boxed system like iOS a clear advantage compared to Android. I’m also a big Android fan but from some points of view it’s not a good solution.[/QUOTE]
Learning starts somewhere. If there’s no incentive to learn, people will remain dumb and allow themselves to be repeatedly shafted using the same tactics :wink: It’s cheaper to learn a sharp lesson once …
Agreed with the children … but once again, get spanked by parents, learn not to be stupid to prevent further spanking … it will gradually prevent silly adults that pay through the nose for silly things like … accumulative in-game purchases which have no intrinsic value :iagree: the same as digitally downloaded movies :iagree:
Interesting that … movie studios selling products with no intrinsic value … and the huge growth in digital movie downloads :iagree:

[QUOTE=H3rB3i;2631086]Not at all, if you an experienced user and don’t mind on Jailbreaking then you are able to customise your iOS device in a nice way.

As for the ringtones, it’s pretty easy to create own tones. Just a few steps which everyone can do.[/QUOTE]
Aye … been there, done that, changed the root passwd :wink:
I’ve done the ringtones also, although it’s such a bugger trying to find a decent song that has a distinguishable, but relatively quiet song that builds to something louder within the limits of the maximum ringtone length.

Mine is the one