What's Your Favorite Pet?

vbimport

What is or was your favorite kind of pet?

I’ve had and kept hundreds of critters over the centuries, but I must say, my absolute favorite was ferrets. I’ve always had cats, and have three right now, but the ferrets were, by far, the most fun, loving, exciting pets I’ve ever had. But, they are also labor-intensive, expensive, and in the end, they die and break your heart. Seven broken hearts over ten years was all I could handle. I won’t have any more (anyone want to buy a decade’s worth of ferret stuff, cheap?)

:sad:

I’ve always wanted this as a pet. But now that i have a family, we got a goldfish. It’s name is Fish. :slight_smile:

I guess my favorite would have been a dog but I’ve had several cats too .
Each has it’s own personality so in a way all of them.

No offense meant Gaarry but my experence with ferrets is not good.
I never owned one but a freind of mine did.
I’m glad they had rabies shots.
The albino one would sneak up & bite my ankle area .
Sometimes drawing blood.
The regular colored male would seem to be just fine & then bite for no reason.
Also usually drew blood.
He seemed to give them plenty of attention & even had a closed in back porch with “play & exercise” stuff for them.

my dogs are my favorite…Rosie is around 15 years old shes a peek-a-pom but she is staying with my mom now…

and the man of my house is Buster…hes a mini dachshund…

That’s a very imaginative name a for a fish, Mr B. :slight_smile:

Our dogs are our favourite, Max and Mika.

Yo-

Right now our cat - Josie Lee - is our favorite being - and she is smart - intelligent and extremely pretty - need I say more?

Shhh I have a few favorite pets but I don’t wanna out them :cool:

I guess my favorite pet is medium to large dogs. I am fondest of Huskies and Malamutes. I have had from 60ish lbs Huskies to 150 lbs Malamute (5/8 Wolf). We had a pet Skunk that was a very loving little pet and an albino Skunk that would bite any thing until it realized that it wasn’t food. Albino was white with pink stripes and paw paw pads and red eyes. once you were holding him he was fine. Had a ferret that lived 15 or more years, don’t know how old he was when given to us. He was so old he had no hair on his tail and his body hair was thinning. He was a good pet.

[QUOTE=Dee;2704464]That’s a very imaginative name a for a fish, Mr B. :slight_smile:

Our dogs are our favourite, Max and Mika.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect Mr. B., LOL @Dee, because that’s exactly what I was thinking.

:bigsmile:

cholla - no offense taken - I KNOW ferrets! What you encountered was undisciplined ferrets. Mine were well disciplined and the vet, who’s had many a ferret firmly attached to his extremities, even commented often on how friendly my ferrets were. It’s just like children: undisciplined children means children that people dread, whereas disciplined children mean children that are a joy and delight.

Ferrets like what you encountered cause all ferrets to have a bad name and reputation. Most of mine had a reputation of licking, not biting (and, yes, they have earned the phrase, “ankle biters”).

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2704514]I guess my favorite pet is medium to large dogs. I am fondest of Huskies and Malamutes. I have had from 60ish lbs Huskies to 150 lbs Malamute (5/8 Wolf). We had a pet Skunk that was a very loving little pet and an albino Skunk that would bite any thing until it realized that it wasn’t food. Albino was white with pink stripes and paw paw pads and red eyes. once you were holding him he was fine. Had a ferret that lived 15 or more years, don’t know how old he was when given to us. He was so old he had no hair on his tail and his body hair was thinning. He was a good pet.[/QUOTE]

Skunks are related to the weasel family. They can make good pets. A ferret with no hair on his tail is probably doomed (Insulinoma or Pancriatitus). It’s called “rat tail” and is almost always a sure sign of tumors. Fifteen years is the max I’ve ever heard of a ferret living. Most are lucky to see nine years. Mine were all “used” (rescues), so I don’t know how old any were, really.

I’m so very tempted to get a dog, but it just wouldn’t be right. I now know what a long commitment they are, and I don’t know that I’ll be here long enough. My cats are 75 and 79 (in human years) respectively, and the third one is a youngster in comparison.

We have a fair number of pets - cat, bichon frise (small dog), three aquariums (4 koi, another with 2 aquatic frogs and third with various goldfish and cat fish) and 4 cockatiels (birds).

The main ones I pay attention to the most would be the cockatiels so I’d rate them as my favourite, even though they are not finger trained. They are fun to play with, especially with various objects such as a paper towel or even with their own feathers that have fallen off. They also love been blown at. My avatar is from a picture I took of our bird called Keno. Just a pity we haven’t managed to get them tame enough to touch (all 4 were unwanted pets, so who knows what their previous owners were like) as we previously had two very tame finger-trained cockatiels.

As for actual handling (petting), my favourite is the cat, even if overly clingy at times. I’ve stepped on the cat’s toes enough times by accident and that doesn’t stop the cat going between my feet while working outside.

Our past pets also included guinea-pigs, a rabbit and hamsters. We’ve always owned a dog and a cat.

Over my marriage,I had several dogs ,and even a cat from the former owner of the house I live in.
ATM,2 dogs here,a 6 years old german shepherd and a 3 years old malinois (my favourite breed)
My former malinois died @ 13,the german shepherd was a gift from my boss,because he knew I would take good care of that sweet puppy…:slight_smile:
Many years ago,I had a Pyrenean Mountain dog,together with a sweet mailnois+collie bastard dog…they were both poisoned…:sad::sad::Z:Z
Even after all those years gone by,I still wanna hurt the sshle who did that!!!:a:a
Unfortunually,'till this day,still no trace of the pepetrator…:sad:

Right now we have just two cats ,one is pretty old and his future doesn’t look good . The other is 6years and loves to catch birds ,we hesitate letting him out because this town is a dog town and some are hater of cats and won’t hesitate putting antifreeze out.We try to keep a close eye on him but it’s hard when a cat has had the freedom to roam and than is cooped up in a house.People can be mean and like you if I catch someone doing this stupid crap,so help them.(Charlie is my favorite at the moment.)

We have 2 inside cats that we adore but Rotties are our favorite clowns. This is Leia (14 weeks old) and our granddaughter.

[QUOTE=Dee;2704464]That’s a very imaginative name a for a fish, Mr B. :)[/quote] We used to have two goldfish which i named God and Satan. God died.

My wife didn’t like it when i would come back from work, looked at the fishbowl and say “Hi Satan!”, so she wanted a new name for the little fella.

My then 3 year old kid was allowed to give it a new name, so now its name is ‘Fish’ :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2704614]My then 3 year old kid was allowed to give it a new name, so now its name is ‘Fish’ :)[/QUOTE]Bless. :flower:

I could not keep pets as the last one was eaten by my father in 1990. He must have killed it for it was illegal to kill me. I was the only one who considered it as a friend and he knew it was my only contact with living things.

We don’t have a pet here but if we did it would be a dog.

We do have two surrogate pets next door though that we see all the time and look after when their owner is away. :slight_smile:

They’re both collie/Labrador crosses but one’s more collie than Labrador and the other’s more Labrador than collie, if you know what I mean. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

My favorite pet is that big galoot that I’ve trained to brush me and see to my other needs:

//youtu.be/BrMdP8sc_DY