What's wrong with this disc?

vbimport

Hello, I have a DVD disc my mom created with a VHS>DVD converter machine and I’d like to make a backup image and maybe edit the video, but I can’t get ImgBurn (or any utility) to recognize it. She says it plays fine on her DVD Player attached to her TV, but my 2 computers both cannot access the data. My DVD Player on my TV cannot recognize the disc. Windows says disc is blank. ImgBurn and IsoBuster report seeing something (see below) but I’m not sure how to interpret it, because I don’t know much about discs and disc drives, and would appreciate help from you experts.

Using ImgBurn I have tried to Close the Track/Session/Disc but get some errors such as “Illegal Request”, “Empty or Partially Written Reserved Track”, and “Invalid Field in CDB”. Details below.

Drive is Samsung SH-B123L SB04 - I checked Samsung/TSST web sites and this is the latest firmware.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

====ImgBurn Log
I 11:53:10 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 11:53:10 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
I 11:53:10 Total Physical Memory: 3,668,472 KiB - Available: 1,069,536 KiB
W 11:53:10 Duplex Secure’s SPTD driver can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.
I 11:53:10 Initialising SPTI…
I 11:53:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 11:53:14 -> Drive 1 - Info: TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L SB04 (F:) (ATA)
I 11:53:14 -> Drive 2 - Info: IZO 81I38DMZWX 1.03 (I:) (SCSI)
I 11:53:14 Found 1 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROM and 1 BD-ROM/DVD±RW!

====ImgBurn info window in Read Mode
TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L SB04 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Incomplete
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 1,178,016
Free Space: 2,412,576,768 bytes
Free Time: 261:48:66 (MM:SS:FF)
Next Writable Address: 1119872
MID: RITEKF1
Supported Read Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x
Current Read Speed: 2x

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: RITEKF1

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120 mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

====ImgBurn Media Info button is grayed out, cannot click.

====ImgBurn: Tools, Drive, Close, Track - nothing happens

====ImgBurn: Tools, Drive, Close, Session - I get this error message:
I/O Error!
Device: [5:0:0] TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-123L SB04 (F:) (ATA
ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition
CDB: 5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Close Track/Session
Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 72 04 00 00 00 00
SK Interpretation: Illegal Request
ASC/ASCQ Interpretation: Empty or Partially Written Reserved Track

====ImgBurn: Tools, Drive, Close, Disc - I get this error message:
I/O Error!
Device: [5:0:0] TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-123L SB04 (F:) (ATA
ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition
CDB: 5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Close Track/Session
Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00
SK Interpretation: Illegal Request
ASC/ASCQ Interpretation: Invalid Field in CDB

====IsoBuster shows:
-DVD-R
–Open Session 1
----Track 01 through Track 06 of various sizes

Track 02 containing some typical DVD .ifo and .vob files of ~500MB or ~1000MB. But when I try to “Extract” Track 02 the resulting .iso file is only 32KB. When I extract the others, I get ISO files that I cannot successfully open with anything.

The disc probably needs to be closed in the VHS to DVD unit it was written in.

This could also be a bit of a problem sometimes

[B][I]MID: RITEKF1[/I][/B]

Plus the fact that I bet that Samsung drives firmware does not support this media.

Current Read Speed: 2x

[QUOTE=alan1476;2699262]Plus the fact that I bet that Samsung drives firmware does not support this media.[/QUOTE]I wouldn’t make that bet if I were you.

If you tried to close this disc with ImgBurn you may have messed it up.

You should still try to close it on the recorder it was recorded on.

That should be the reason Windows isn’t recognizing it.

I have one standalone that is capable of the unusual -VR mode.
A DVD recorded that way is invisible to Vista & newer.
IsoBuster shows what you report or similar.
AFAIK the -VR mode only works on DVD -RW discs.

[QUOTE=billy44bob44;2699240]…it plays fine on her DVD Player attached to her TV, but my 2 computers both cannot access the data.[/QUOTE]
This sounds typical of the “failure to FINALIZE” error, where the Recording Device must do a Finalize Operation (or it may be called “close”) that installs an “End Of Recording Process” value to the DVD’s data contents.

DVD Players look for a Begin Playing Here and that Finalize “Stop Playing Here” value before they even start reading enough data to splash onto the screen.

This sounds like a FINALIZE issue, therefore. Your DVD Recorder may call it “Finalize”, “Close Session”, “End Session” or ?? who knows. Sometimes, the Finalize Process can be completed long after the recording has completed, but I’ve also heard “no, the burning process must have its start & finish in one session.”

Again, Multisession and unfinalized, thats a call for trouble.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2699275]I wouldn’t make that bet if I were you.[/QUOTE]
You are correct Stereodude, but I would never buy that kind of media, so I really wouldn’t know. It was just a guess, when I saw 2X burning speed, it sort of made me think of the old old IDE DVDRW drives. LOL.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2699522]You are correct Stereodude, but I would never buy that kind of media, so I really wouldn’t know. It was just a guess, when I saw 2X burning speed, it sort of made me think of the old old IDE DVDRW drives. LOL.;)[/QUOTE]Well, I only bought it to use for testing. I wanted to see exactly how crappy of discs Verbatim would put their name to. I wouldn’t actually “use” it though. FWIW, the SH-B123L will burn it up to 16x though.

Not sure it really matters but I have had the very same problem when I burned my first videos from my Panasonic HD camcoder [HC-X800] to DVD disks at the begining.
The built in camcoder burning app never asked me to finalize or to multisession. But, by time I learned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Make sure, always when burning from a standalone box, VHS box, camcoder or other HW with a “built in burn cd or DVD/BL option” you always must decide to finalize your burn or to burn yet another file/-s.

TP´s mother for sure made the same mistake as I did once.

IMHO our member [I]Stereodude[/I] was right at his first post.
Finalizing that disc with ImgBurn is outh of question.

/of topic.
@ alan1476. Old man, nowhere in this thred it is poste/stated that the RiteKF1 disc is´t compatible with TPs drive or that it only will burn at 2x.
//of topic.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2699566]Not sure it really matters but I have had the very same problem when I burned my first videos from my Panasonic HD camcoder [HC-X800] to DVD disks at the begining.
The built in camcoder burning app never asked me to finalize or to multisession. But, by time I learned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Make sure, always when burning from a standalone box, VHS box, camcoder or other HW with a “built in burn cd or DVD/BL option” you always must decide to finalize your burn or to burn yet another file/-s.

TP´s mother for sure made the same mistake as I did once.

IMHO our member [I]Stereodude[/I] was right at his first post.
Finalizing that disc with ImgBurn is outh of question.

/of topic.
@ [B]alan1476. Old man, nowhere in this thred it is poste/stated that the RiteKF1 disc is´t compatible with TPs drive or that it only will burn at 2x.[/B]
//of topic.[/QUOTE]
billy44bob44 iMGBURN lOG FILE lol.

Disc Information:
State of Last Session:
Incomplete
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 1,178,016
Free Space:
2,412,576,768 bytes
Free Time: 261:48:66 (MM:SS:FF)
Next Writable Address:
MID: RITEKF1
Current Read
Speed: 2x

AND KARL, you old man, go play with your BenQs, this thread is way to advanced for you;):bigsmile: {off-topic] LOL.:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Alan. And yes, all my BenQs (DVD burners are still up and running well), not that much used nowdays though. My Pioneer BD burners are serving me well though. :flower:

BTW. You keep posting an irrelevant quote all the time old man. The quote says “SUPPORTED READ SPEED” at x. Think it’s on time for an eye check. :bigsmile:

Here’s the fix!
1st stop confusing him!
2nd put the disk back in your Mom’s DVD burner, and finalize it!
3rd download a DVD rip program ig. DVD shrink 3.2, DVD fab, anything that will rip a DVD,
The reason i say this is most vhs/DVD recorder use DVD +rw and not DVD-rw, and they assume that you will only play that disk in their player,
If you can’t rip Whole disk then rip only the video stream,
4th use that rip to make new disk that you can play in any drive and only use DVD-r.
Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=lejuans01;2710010]Here’s the fix!
1st stop confusing him!
2nd put the disk back in your Mom’s DVD burner, [B]and finalize it[/B]!
3rd download a DVD rip program ig. DVD shrink 3.2, DVD fab, anything that will rip a DVD,
The reason i say this is most vhs/DVD recorder use DVD +rw and not DVD-rw, and they assume that you will only play that disk in their player,
If you can’t rip Whole disk then rip only the video stream,
4th use that rip to make new disk that you can play in any drive and only use DVD-r.
Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

First and always, you should read the other posts completely before answering…
[B]Closing which means finalizing were already mentioned often enough.[/B]