What's wrong with my Optical Drive?

vbimport

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my laptop optical drive for more than 2 months and I still can’t fix it.

When I insert a CD (tried all types, bootable and others) the optical drive can’t read it. I mean it says there is a disc in there but it doesn’t play it or show its content.

I contacted the manufacturer (Alienware) and they instructed several steps to follow, at the end they concluded it’s a hardware problem and I need to buy another optical drive. :rolleyes:

I bought one few days ago and installed it. Guess what? I still have the same problem :eek: I knew it wasn’t a hardware. Anyway, I tried to contact them again but didn’t get any reply.

Can you help me guys? I can’t even format since the optical drive is not working :sad:

Please help!

Make and model of laptop with version of windows you’re running would help.
Right click on my computer and select properties. Select hardware tab then device manager.
Are there any warnings against any of the settings?
Click on the drive and then properties ~ what does it say?
come back to us and let us know. The more information you can post the better the diagnosis will be.
Welcome to the freaks.

my laptop is Alienware m9700. I’m using WinXP

device properties says the device is working proparly.

I don’t get any warnings when I play a CD, it just don’t play it and read it as a blank one.

The same problem I had before and after changing the hardware.

:sad::sad:

Welcome to the freaks.

can the drive read dvds? If so, the cd laser is probably dead.

If the new drive is exhibiting the same problems it could be a problem with the os.
Go back into device manager and delete the cd drive and reboot, the drive should be detected and re-installed. This may clear the fault.

[QUOTE=adict2jane;2152550]can the drive read dvds? If so, the cd laser is probably dead.[/QUOTE]

can’t read neither DVD nor CD

[QUOTE=weedougie;2152555]If the new drive is exhibiting the same problems it could be a problem with the os.
Go back into device manager and delete the cd drive and reboot, the drive should be detected and re-installed. This may clear the fault.[/QUOTE]

I did that with old and new hardware, still same problem.

Have you tried restoring to a previous time when the cd drive worked?
But before that I would suggest that you use your XP disk and use the recovery consul to repair the os !
If you cannot do this then try the first option.

[QUOTE=weedougie;2152657]Have you tried restoring to a previous time when the cd drive worked?
But before that I would suggest that you use your XP disk and use the recovery consul to repair the os !
If you cannot do this then try the first option.[/QUOTE]

I can’t use my XP disk since the optical drive can’t read its content and read it as blank. I don’t remember if I tried restoring or not, but can I still do it while using the new hardware?

try cleaning the lense with a q-tip and isoproply alcohol, let it dry before using the drive.

Please people read all of the posts before offering advice; this is a new drive exhibiting the same symptoms as the drive it replaced!!
Caty~
Try and use the restore feature in XP, go back to a time when the drive worked.
Failing a restore do you know anyone with a USB cd drive that they will let you use? If so this may be the way to go.

Ok I’ll try it and no I don’t know anyone who has it but I might buy one in case the restoring failed :sad:

Caty~ do you have a USB flash drive of 1Gb or more? If so use a working machine to copy the XP disk to the drive. Then you can insert the USB drive on your machine and should be able to run the recovery consul from windows. Be warned, have your XP license number ready in case you are asked, and use the second screen repair option.

yeah I do have one, will try it out since I couldn’t get an external optical drive today.

Hi,[quote=caty;2152644]can’t read neither DVD nor CD[/quote]are there any errors in device manager?

[quote=caty;2152835]I can’t use my XP disk since the optical drive can’t read its content and read it as blank. I don’t remember if I tried restoring or not, but can I still do it while using the new hardware?[/quote]Have you already tried to boot off a bootable CD? Please note you’ll have to either change the boot priority in BIOS or invoke a “one-time” bootmenu.
A Windows install disc required “any key” to be pressed, so watch the screen carefully.

I personally prefer a Linux Live CD for such diagnostic purpose.
Is there any diagnostic tool for your notebook available? I know, such exists for Dell computers.

If you still can’t boot, then there might be something wrong with the motherboard or the drive connectors. :eek:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2153847]Hi,are there any errors in device manager?
Have you already tried to boot off a bootable CD? Please note you’ll have to either change the boot priority in BIOS or invoke a “one-time” bootmenu.
A Windows install disc required “any key” to be pressed, so watch the screen carefully.

I personally prefer a Linux Live CD for such diagnostic purpose.
Is there any diagnostic tool for your notebook available? I know, such exists for Dell computers.

If you still can’t boot, then there might be something wrong with the motherboard or the drive connectors. :eek:

Michael[/QUOTE]

My old laptop had this problem. Acer seems like it has the most problems with this, turns out the motherboard was bad, had it replaced, same thing happened, even with a new drive, they swapped the QSI drive with a Pioneer, and the Pioneer stopped reading CDs yet it worked fine in my friends laptop

OK guys good news and bad news.

Good news is I managed in a way to run bootable CDs and I formatted my PC.

Bad news is I still can’t play CDs/DVDs but I got a message this time saying:

D:\ is not accessible.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Note: I went to device manager and there was no error with the device and it says that its working properly.

What’s next? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=caty;2153964]OK guys good news and bad news.

Good news is I managed in a way to run bootable CDs and I formatted my PC.

Bad news is I still can’t play CDs/DVDs but I got a message this time saying:

D:\ is not accessible.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Note: I went to device manager and there was no error with the device and it says that its working properly.

What’s next? :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it’s time for you to call Alienware and have the resolve your situation. Have you tried that? If they can’t help get a refund and buy a laptop that will work for you.

Finally I fixed it :slight_smile:

Thank you all for the help

Special thanks for weedougie :bow::clap: you have been a GREAT help :flower: THANK YOU :kiss: :bigsmile:

You’re welcome, I’m glad that you were able to resolve the problem. We’d all be interested in how it was finally fixed by you.
Best regards.
Douglas.

I copied WinXP CD into USB flash drive, I couldn’t install it since it kept giving me error that I have newer version or something from the one I wanted to install.

Then a miracle happened somehow I was able to play bootable CDs so I formatted my PC.

I got the error about I/O. I searched the net and found a topic on how to fix it and now it’s working :slight_smile: