What's wrong with my HP DVD burner?

vbimport

I have an HP DVD Writer 840i, and all of a sudden, when i put ANY CD or DVD inside it literally stops working. I have to restart or shutdown my PC, to open the drive again. It opens and closes fine, with NO disc inserted, though. Is there any way to fix this problem? Or is the drive dead?!?..

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

seems as if the drive is dying. Is there any opportunity to test the drive in another computer?

Michael

Hmm…I tried the drive on my other PC, and at first, it just did NOT read any CD i put into it, but i was able to eject w/CD in there, though. Next, it acted like before, and got stuck and would NOT eject again. However, after i shutdown, i put in a DVD, namely Vista Home basic SP1, and voila! It read it quite nicely:bigsmile: I also tried a DVD+R, and that worked too!!

Now, i tried to burn an ISO to CD, but it did NOT work. Initially, it would NOT take the CD-RW, then after a few tries with a CD-R, it detected it. But, i heard strange LOUD noises during the burn, and it was a bit slower than usual. The ISO was only 415 MB, and it took about 4 minutes. After that, Nero said 'Burn process failed, i saved the log, and attached it here.

I’m confused, if it reads DVDs, but NOT read/burn CDs. How is that possible?? How could only a part of the laser be failing? Or does the drive use something else to read/burn CDs than DVDs??? Is there some limit to how many times you can read and/or burn a CD??? Can i somehow repair the drive?

Log.txt (8.34 KB)

Hi,[QUOTE=seskanda;2473725]
I’m confused, if it reads DVDs, but NOT read/burn CDs. How is that possible?? How could only a part of the laser be failing?[/QUOTE]the optical system of a DVD writer is a combined one, so basically there is a laser for CD, and another laser for DVD (simplified).
So failing to handle either CD or DVD is not uncommon for a drive that is dying.

Michael

The same thing happened with an old HP DVD burner of mine . . .

[QUOTE=mciahel;2473868]Hi,the optical system of a DVD writer is a combined one, so basically there is a laser for CD, and another laser for DVD (simplified).
So failing to handle either CD or DVD is not uncommon for a drive that is dying.

Michael[/QUOTE]

So, 1 laser is for reading AND writing CDs, and another for reading AND writing DVDs, then? What’s going on with the laser that handles CDs!?! Also, will it effect the laser for DVD burning, too? I ask again, is there a limit to how many CDs you can burn on a CD and/or DVD burner?

[QUOTE=seskanda;2474499]So, 1 laser is for reading AND writing CDs, and another for reading AND writing DVDs, then?[/quote]Basically yes.

What’s going on with the laser that handles CDs!?!
It died. Same could also happen with the other laser (DVD dead, CD still good).

Also, will it effect the laser for DVD burning, too?
Normally not.
I ask again, is there a limit to how many CDs you can burn on a CD and/or DVD burner?
I don’t think, there is such a limit. Technical components can always fail - of course there might be components that are more reliable than others. For cheap consumer ODD, manufacturers cut costs wherever they can, so reliability and longevity is not really a design goal.

Michael

As a last resort, try updating the firmware:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?os=228&softwareitem=dv-39047-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1101461

Also, I noticed this in your log:

CdRomPeripheral : HP DVD Writer 840x atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: Off

DMA is off, and that’s never good. Why don’t you uninstall the drive from Windows, reboot, and let Windows auto-detect and re-install it. It may make no difference, but it’s worth a shot.

Given a laser is NOT living, how can it die:confused: What about the noise it makes, is that related to the laser, or is that something else entirely? Is it possible to replace the CD laser on it??

Normally not. I don’t think, there is such a limit. Technical components can always fail - of course there might be components that are more reliable than others. For cheap consumer ODD, manufacturers cut costs wherever they can, so reliability and longevity is not really a design goal.

What’s cheap on my HP burner exactly? How long is the life of the best (or near best) DVD burner? And which brand do you recommend for IDE, SATA, and USB?

AFAIK, a firmware update will address the software that controls the hardware, and NOT a mechanical problem, since it appears the drive has a ‘physical’ defect. Also, i do NOT see how DMA being off can cause the issue i;m having…

[QUOTE=seskanda;2476076]Given a laser is NOT living, how can it die:confused: [/quote]Okay, I’ll use some different wording. This component just failed for whatever reason.

What about the noise it makes, is that related to the laser, or is that something else entirely?
The disc is unreadable (due to the bad laser), so the drive tries to spin-up, and the optical unit (with the blind laser) is trying to find a position and some readable signal.

Is it possible to replace the CD laser on it??
An optical drive manufacturer is able to do that, a user can’t (normally).

What’s cheap on my HP burner exactly?
Anything. Same applies to all optical drives available on the market, regardless of manufacturer (or OEM).

How long is the life of the best (or near best) DVD burner?
As long as the warranty period. With some luck, the drive lasts longer.
And which brand do you recommend for IDE, SATA, and USB?
Brand does not matter at all. There are only a few real manufacturers:

[ul]
[li]Liteon
[/li][li]Sony (Optiarc) - they are often also branding drives from other manufacturers
[/li][li]TSST (Samsung)
[/li][li]LG
[/li][li]Pioneer - they are retiring from the DVD writers market, their last one is a recycled QSI drive
[/li][li]QSI - targetting the OEM market only.
[/li][/ul]

Also, i do NOT see how DMA being off can cause the issue i;m having…
Normally, I’d agree, but you should really rule out this issue.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2476159]An optical drive manufacturer is able to do that, a user can’t (normally).[/QUOTE]

Which Optical drive manufacturer or others will repair a drive? What would I need to know to try and fix it??

This HP DVD burner only had a 1 year warranty. Which drive brand(s) have a 2 year or longer period? Does that automatically mean it WILL last for the stated time??

Brand does not matter at all. There are only a few real manufacturers:

[ul]
[li]Liteon
[/li]> [li]Sony (Optiarc) - they are often also branding drives from other manufacturers
[/li]> [li]TSST (Samsung)
[/li]> [li]LG
[/li]> [li]Pioneer - they are retiring from the DVD writers market, their last one is a recycled QSI drive
[/li]> [li]QSI - targetting the OEM market only.
[/li]> [/ul] [

So, from the above, who makes the longest lasting, quality drives?? Here’s my take: never had a Liteon drive before. I thought Sony drives are made by Matsushita…I have a Samsung (TSST) drive with my Dell Dimension E310, and it lasted about 3.5 years, but it’s NOT a DVD burner, it’s a CD burner/DVD-ROM combo drive. It’s fast becoming just a DVD drive…

I’m assuming a TSST DVD burner will probably only last 2 years. I’ve heard great praise for LG, but never used one. I just bought a Pioneer DVD burner from best buy in March, DVD-1910LS, how long you think it will last?? Never even heard of QSI before, do they ONLY make drives for brand name PCs (i.e. Dell, eMachines, Gateway, etc)?

Hi,[QUOTE=seskanda;2477118]Which Optical drive manufacturer or others will repair a drive?[/quote]No idea. Throw away is cheaper. A new drive is available for 30 US$.

What would I need to know to try and fix it??
Detailled knowledge about optical drives and electronics plus service and maintenance documentation for the particular drive. In short: just forget it.

This HP DVD burner only had a 1 year warranty. Which drive brand(s) have a 2 year or longer period? Does that automatically mean it WILL last for the stated time??
Warranty is a marketing instrument, not a statement about product quality.

So, from the above, who makes the longest lasting, quality drives??
No one.

(…)I thought Sony drives are made by Matsushita…
They love to fit lousy Matsushita (seen the bad word there?) into their laptops. I was referring to Half-Height drives which are sold under Sony brand. Sony rebadged at least Liteon, Benq, Samsung and NEC drives.

(…)I just bought a Pioneer DVD burner from best buy in March, DVD-1910LS, how long you think it will last??
Until it breaks. It often depends on usage.
Never even heard of QSI before, do they ONLY make drives for brand name PCs (i.e. Dell, eMachines, Gateway, etc)?
QSI does not manufacture products for end customers, and they have no end user support. They manufacture optical drives for other drive manufacturers like Optiarc or Pioneer, some of them are intended to be sold to OEM customers like Dell, HP etc.

Michael