What's wrong with my 1640?

vbimport

Backup copy of one of my DVDs. This is the horrible result of the quality scan. :Z

I use Verbatim DVD+R 16x and burn at 12x speed. SolidBurn Off/WOPC On.
The burn completed in about 20 mins though, so I guess it wasn’t 12x in reality.
This has happened with all my burns lately.

The disc seems to play fine in my DVD-player.

What’s wrong?

try a different scanner in another computer. find out if it’s the disc or the drive.
you have to narrow it down.

In addition to riggits suggestion check this threadand check Items 2 thru 7. May help.:wink:

what software was used???

OK, scanned another disc (same brand, same drive).

Another one, all same

Thanks, I will try your tips now.

I’m getting the same problem with Verbatim 16x discs (both -R and +R). Available speeds show up to 16x, but no matter what I choose the burn is taking 20 minutes plus.

However, I am using my 1640 in a firewire case (Oxford 911 chipset) and it is connected to a Mac, so I’m still on the shipped BSHB firmware.

Even though I spent a lot of time reading on the forum before I bought this drive, for some reason I didn’t see the warnings about BenQs not being happy in (Oxford) firewire boxes.

:o

this maybe a chipset issue…you are burning at like 4x…how new is the external enclosure? is the benq set as a master?

Even though I spent a lot of time reading on the forum before I bought this drive, for some reason I didn’t see the warnings about BenQs not being happy in (Oxford) firewire boxes.

Benq drives tend to like PROLIFIC CHIPSETS when using a external case. PLUMAX is one of the brands that use the PROLIFIC CHIPSET.

The enclosure is a couple of years old, but in the last week I have updated the 911 chipset to the latest firmware. And the BenQ is set as master too. Plus I’m using an 80 pin cable.

I was wondering if it might be something to do with having poor quality Verbatim media, but I’ve also burned a few cheapo discs that offered up to 8x, but still took the same 20-odd minutes.

Speed is not that important to me, so if I could get to around 8-12x with the current setup I’d be more than happy. Rather than buy a new Prolific enclosure I think I’d probably just go for a second burner, perhaps a Pioneer (since they are a bit more Mac-friendly), but ideally I’d prefer not to have to buy any new hardware.

I have an older oxford 911 chipset and it will not work with my dvd burners correctly…so I am guessing this is the issue…I own a Plumax …with prolific chipset and my 1620 works great in it

In my testing the Oxford 911 (not the 911Plus, 912, 922) will not set DMA mode correctly for DVD/CD. Therefore the MAX Burst Rate for a DVD/CD Drive is 14MB/s (8X max).

Please forgive my noobiness, but does DMA apply to Macs? As far as I know it is never mentioned, so (unless there’s some ubergeek command line way) there’s no way to set it in OS X.

Maybe if I could get a Plumax / Prolific chipset box here in the UK I’d do so, but so far I haven’t found one for sale.

But to be honest, if I could get my BenQ up to 8x burns I’d be pretty happy with that. Right now I seem stuck somewhere around the 2x mark.