What's with this Company with Registration Codes?

I recently had been using the free version of DVDFab 6.0.1.0 and enjoyed it. It worked great so I figured I 'd purchase it. I sent in a check on June 13, 2009 to:

AVANGATE
800 West El Camino
Real Suite 180
Mountain View, California 94040

The price included a “Lifetime” Subscription for “DVD to DVD”. My order was purchased at http://www.dvdfab.net website. The check was cashed and also cleared at my bank. Buy still no registration key!!! Everytime I contact them they tell me they “haven’t received my check, so no registration code can be sent”, but, “I’m holding the check that hey did indeed cash” at Silicon Valley Bank. Can soneone here please help me ? The program now has expired and I can no longer use it; not even the free version!!! If I can’t get this matter cleared, I will have no other choice then to contact my attorney.

Must have been a scam as I have not seen the option to pay using a check. Check this link out http://www.avangate.com/help/customer-faq.php#bottom_2_1
Look at

Payment

1. What payment methods do you support?
    Depending on the products you want to purchase, Avangate can offer the following payment methods:
  • Credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard, DinersClub, American Express and JCB)
  • Paypal
  • Bank transfer (Wire/ACH transfer)
  • Fax
  • Vendor 2 Vendor
  • Purchase order

I do not see check as a option to pay

When I contacted Avangate Support, they gave me the url: http://www.dvdfab.net/order.htm to order their product. They had told me this was the only “real” secure link in ordering. If you were to go to the above website, then under “Product > Subscription > Price”, click on “continue” and then scroll down to “Payment Options” and click on the down arrow for credit cards (Details) “Check” is listed at the bottom under “Credit/Debit Card”, at least it is on my PC. I only use the “Discover Card” and since they don’t honor it, the only option had been to pay by check. All I want is either to have my money refunded, or give me a lifetime registration code that I had purchased. If not, then they will be hearing from my attorney, and what happens, HAPPENS!!!

I just contacted Avangate by phone and they told me to re-send them the info, and a copy of my cashed check. This will be the third time now and as far as I’m concerned, the last time. If this matter isn’t rectified in the next 24hrs., my attorney will be stepping in and taking the matter in hand, along with contacting the Attorney General Fraud department of the state of California. I’m sorry I ever came upon this software. Though it may work great, it’s been nothing but a big headache, on the purchasing side! I should have done with 90% or more users do, save the money and just use the “free” version. Enough said.

[QUOTE=38 Special;2298077]I just contacted Avangate by phone and they told me to re-send them the info, and a copy of my cashed check. This will be the third time now and as far as I’m concerned, the last time. If this matter isn’t rectified in the next 24hrs., my attorney will be stepping in and taking the matter in hand, along with contacting the Attorney General Fraud department of the state of California. I’m sorry I ever came upon this software. Though it may work great, it’s been nothing but a big headache, on the purchasing side! I should have done with 90% or more users do, save the money and just use the “free” version. Enough said.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your frustration, but best if you vent at Avangate, as all that’s here are a bunch of users, just like you, and we have no more sway with the money collectors than you do.

Good luck!

OC

:slight_smile:

Sorry OC, I didn’t mean to bum anyone out. But I’m new to this forum and I don’t really know where else to look for help. I mean, I’ve tried “everything” from Avangate Support, to actually talking to them on the phone, and I’m getting nowhere. Looks like I just lost $60.48 in hard earned money: (I’m a welder by trade). And to top it off, the free version of the program no longer works anymore. I had thought HD Decrypter was free and never expired but it did for me. Sorry again if I brought anyone down, but I would think twice if I were someone out there thinking to purchase this software, you may just end up like me.

[QUOTE=38 Special;2298223]Sorry OC, I didn’t mean to bum anyone out. But I’m new to this forum and I don’t really know where else to look for help. I mean, I’ve tried “everything” from Avangate Support, to actually talking to them on the phone, and I’m getting nowhere. Looks like I just lost $60.48 in hard earned money: (I’m a welder by trade). And to top it off, the free version of the program no longer works anymore. I had thought HD Decrypter was free and never expired but it did for me. Sorry again if I brought anyone down, but I would think twice if I were someone out there thinking to purchase this software, you may just end up like me.[/QUOTE]

If you download the newest version (6.0.2.0) you’ll find that at least the freebie works (was broken in the version you tried - stopped functioning after 30 days - as I say, now fixed).

For all the people that have bought the software and had no problems at all, you seem to be one of the VERY few who’s temporarily slipped through the cracks… all I can say is try to find a little patience, yell a bit at Avangate, and once all this is sorted out, and you start enjoying the fruits of your efforts, it’ll be worthwhile.

OC

:slight_smile:

Sorry but I just have to say:

Check + Discover Card = Fail

Sorry again.

[QUOTE=OCanada;2298248]If you download the newest version (6.0.2.0) you’ll find that at least the freebie works (was broken in the version you tried - stopped functioning after 30 days - as I say, now fixed).

For all the people that have bought the software and had no problems at all, you seem to be one of the VERY few who’s temporarily slipped through the cracks… all I can say is try to find a little patience, yell a bit at Avangate, and once all this is sorted out, and you start enjoying the fruits of your efforts, it’ll be worthwhile.

OC

Thanks, OC. I’ll download and install 6.0.2.0. At least I should be able to use the free version then. But it makes me boil when you pay for something and don’t get it.

[QUOTE=Monkeycowboy;2298297]Sorry but I just have to say:

Check + Discover Card = Fail

Sorry again.[/QUOTE]

This may be true, but they did receive my check, had cashed it and it cleared at the bank. I did my part, why can’t they hold up the rest of the bargain and do theirs? All they have to do is send me a confirmation number so I can register the program in my name. That’s not asking too much, is it? But instead, they give me a run-a-round. And to tell me they never received my check, or haven’t cashed it to date and I’m holding the cashed check in my hand is ridiculous. I’ll say it again: “If I were someone here thinking about purchasing this software, I’D FORGET IT”. Use the money on something worthwhile and just use the free edition.

Go to dvdfab.com->contact and select “business issue” from the drop down. Describe what happened and include a link to this thread.

[QUOTE=38 Special;2298312]This may be true, but they did receive my check, had cashed it and it cleared at the bank. I did my part, why can’t they hold up the rest of the bargain and do theirs? All they have to do is send me a confirmation number so I can register the program in my name. That’s not asking too much, is it? But instead, they give me a run-a-round. And to tell me they never received my check, or haven’t cashed it to date and I’m holding the cashed check in my hand is ridiculous. I’ll say it again: “If I were someone here thinking about purchasing this software, I’D FORGET IT”. Use the money on something worthwhile and just use the free edition.[/QUOTE]
I don’t blame you for being pissed…I seriously don’t see how anyone could.
Most users that do purchase, do not have problems as they pay with a credit card. This is not a statement defending avangate. They offer payment by check and they obviously blew it.

This does not translate to the software not being worthwhile, nor does it mean avangate is incompetent re: most payment methods.

Again, you’re more than entitled to your frustration and anger, but engaging an attorney for $75.60 (?) is a bit like biting off your nose to spite your face.
I’d give it some additional time and send Fengtao an email.
I’ve seen him honor “problem” licenses in the past…
or do as my good friend signals suggested (as I’m just seeing his post now).

Best of luck and this will get sorted.

Thanks people for all your help. I truly appreciate it. But man, it’s frustrating. All I want is what I paid for. I mean, I sent a check to the address given to me and it had been cashed, but still they deny it. I don’t know, the little voice in my head kept telling me to just stay with the free version; that if something were to happen etc., you’re out nothing, but I wanted to go to the next step. I figured by purchasing the software, it would only help to aid the company in future development of the program.

And agree Maineman, that hiring an attorney for a mere $60.00 would be ridiculous. But the attorney in mind is my first cousin’s husband, and he was going to give me the Family Discount Plan: “Free”!

There seems to be a few issues here. 1st in this day and age you used a check for a mail order. You do not have paypal (which is protection like a credit card) and you said you have an attorney that if is for real should advise you to at the very least open a paypal account. You always take a risk with a check.

I do wish you luck and I do hope that you get the problem solved. And as has been said before this might not be the right place to talk about this. this is not an avangate website.

SCS

[QUOTE=webscott;2298373]There seems to be a few issues here. 1st in this day and age you used a check for a mail order. You do not have paypal (which is protection like a credit card) and you said you have an attorney that if is for real should advise you to at the very least open a paypal account. You always take a risk with a check.

I do wish you luck and I do hope that you get the problem solved. And as has been said before this might not be the right place to talk about this. this is not an avangate website.

Yes, I agree. But to tell you the truth, I never ran into a problem such as this. Most companies that I have dealt with in the past except: “Discover”. But Avangate didn’t. And I have on a few other occasions sent in a check to cover software with other companies and had “no” problem with the transaction: (the party receiving, cashing and sending my order). I’ll just have to chalk this up as a learning experience and be thankful that it had been only $60 and not a much higher amount. But it still makes my blood boil.

I contacted Avangate again last night and talked to them by phone. Again they had said they have all the info needed, and that they would rectify this issue for me. This morning I checked my email and had two responses from them: (1) They can’t find my order, (2) The transaction is still pending, and when they receive my check, they’ll send me a confirmation code.
“I GIVE UP”.

Like I had previously mentioned, I’m new here to the forum and after getting no where with this company, I didn’t no anywhere else to seek help or advice, outside of taken legal action. I didn’t mean to bum anyone out and if I had, I’m sorry. I’ll just let my cousin’s husband see what he can do for me and hope that this company continues to offer a cutback, free version of their program. If not, I’m screwed!

Like what was said it’s not DVDFAB that you have the problem with, Did you ever think about faxing them a copy of the cashed check showing that it was cashed by them or maybe someone else as it could have been stolen and cashed. I don’t even think your cousin’s husband is going to waste his time for $60, also why do you think DVDFAB should offer you a cutback or free version when it’s not their fault

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2298736]Like what was said it’s not DVDFAB that you have the problem with, Did you ever think about faxing them a copy of the cashed check showing that it was cashed by them or maybe someone else as it could have been stolen and cashed. I don’t even think your cousin’s husband is going to waste his time for $60, also why do you think DVDFAB should offer you a cutback or free version when it’s not their fault[/QUOTE]

To answer your question plain and simple, I don’t have a problem with DVDFab, it’s with the distributor of their product: “AVANGATE”! And I don’t know where you had got the idea: “why do you think DVDFAB should offer you a cutback or free version when it’s not their fault”. When I ordered DVDFab: “DVD to DVD” with a Lifetime subscription, they were offering a 20%discount if you entered the discount coupon listed. And for the free version, “HD Decrypter” is a cutback version of DVD to DVD that doesn’t require a license and is free to use.

My cousin’s husband has already turned the matter over to the Fraud Division of the Attorney General in Ohio, where I live. I talked with them today and explained my situation. They said they would gladly try to help me out and are sending me all the paperwork needed to get the ball rolling.

[QUOTE=38 Special;2298961]To answer your question plain and simple, I don’t have a problem with DVDFab, it’s with the distributor of their product: “AVANGATE”! And I don’t know where you had got the idea: “why do you think DVDFAB should offer you a cutback or free version when it’s not their fault”. When I ordered DVDFab: “DVD to DVD” with a Lifetime subscription, they were offering a 20%discount if you entered the discount coupon listed. And for the free version, “HD Decrypter” is a cutback version of DVD to DVD that doesn’t require a license and is free to use.

My cousin’s husband has already turned the matter over to the Fraud Division of the Attorney General in Ohio, where I live. I talked with them today and explained my situation. They said they would gladly try to help me out and are sending me all the paperwork needed to get the ball rolling.[/QUOTE]

Did you send only the check? or you sent the check with the order info: like order number, the email you used for the order ect? Because if you dont, then they didn;t know to who credit the check at moment it arrive

get a visa gift card, i dont remember the last time i wrote a check, where is my checkbook anyway?
do people still write/accept checks?

[QUOTE=calcu007;2298977]Did you send only the check? or you sent the check with the order info: like order number, the email you used for the order ect? Because if you dont, then they didn;t know to who credit the check at moment it arrive[/QUOTE]

Everything that was required! “Order Reference Number, My Email Address, My Name, Address, Phone Number etc.” They had even sent me a confirmation email on my order and had said it would take about 5 working days for the check to clear, and then I’d receive my registration number. That was 10 working days ago, 8 emails and talking to them 4 times on the phone. You know, I’m an honest guy and easy to get along with, but I don’t take crap from anyone. I talked to them again tonight, and had a big argument with the guy on the other end. When I told him I had turned them into the fraud Division of my state, he called me every name he could think of in his native tongue. Had I been in driving distance, I would have gone up there and knocked his teeth out, and believe I would have.