What's up with RICOHJPNR00

vbimport

I just got 100pk of Arita RICOHJPNR00-01. DVDinfo give out burning speed of of is only 2.4x I know that this is 2.4x media but some people on media test show their LDW-401S (with ES0G) was able to burn it at 4x and 2.4x

So actually, Liteon down grade my 811s (with HS0K). 401s is better then?

Originally posted by delta901

I know that this is 2.4x media but some people on media test show their LDW-401S (with ES0G) was able to burn it at 4x and 2.4x

Would you pls refer to “some people on media tests”.

I’m afraid you cannot jump over the Media Speed’s head

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R00-001]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R00]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR00
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 2.4x 3324KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps

Apparently there are 2 differing batches of Arita DVD+R disks being sold at OfficeMax.

I picked up a bundle yesterday and they ID as RICOHJPNR01-02 and are rated at “2.4X - 4X”.

They burn very well with very good quality at 4X with my Plextor 708A. There is even the option to burn at 8X but I haven’t tried it yet with this media.

Others are reporting getting the RICOHJPNR00 2.4X blanks via the same deal at OfficeMax

Originally posted by kador
[B]Apparently there are 2 differing batches of Arita DVD+R disks being sold at OfficeMax.

I picked up a bundle yesterday and they ID as RICOHJPNR01-02 and are rated at “2.4X - 4X”.

They burn very well with very good quality at 4X with my Plextor 708A. There is even the option to burn at 8X but I haven’t tried it yet with this media.

Others are reporting getting the RICOHJPNR00 2.4X blanks via the same deal at OfficeMax [/B]

Does your R01-02 disc have uneven surface on the outer edge. Seem to me like they put to much glue. This may, however, may the disc unstable (one side heavier than the other). My other CMC and Princo is much better shape (only shape) than this!

May be only me received the defective one! :frowning:

No, I don’t notice any “uneven surface” on the outer edge. I’ve only got 1 disk with me to look at right now, but it seems ok.

The only think I don’t really like about these disks is the ghastly purple ring in the clear center area of the disk around the spindle hole.

Other than that purple ring around the spindle hole, these disks seem almost identical to a batch of 100 Arita 4X disks I bought from Newegg a couple weeks back for $93

I have a speed unlocked version of HSOE for my LiteOn 811 that a member of the firmware page made up, that’s why I can go faster. The regular firmwares I’ve tried all say 2.4 only so far.
It works very well at 4x and I even got working disks at 6 and 8 even though the quality was lousy. Not bad even at 60 bucks and some store are now subbing other media so you folks might want to check around.

Originally posted by delta901
[B]Does your R01-02 disc have uneven surface on the outer edge. Seem to me like they put to much glue. This may, however, may the disc unstable (one side heavier than the other). My other CMC and Princo is much better shape (only shape) than this!

May be only me received the defective one! :frowning: [/B]

You are not alone. At least me and DMagic1 also see the same thing on these discs. I don’t think that it will be a big problem. (at least i hope) Try looking at older pressed DVD, you can also see some discs showing this rough edge also.

The only thing is that i feel Arita/Ritek probably selling lower grade discs for this. Some people even report getting a JPN-R01 (4x) discs. it’s just beyond me why Arita is selling 4x discs as 2.4x discs, unless they messedup the id/mis-printed it (not likely) or maybe those discs are not up to par for 4x.

Originally posted by simplelife
[B]You are not alone. At least me and DMagic1 also see the same thing on these discs. I don’t think that it will be a big problem. (at least i hope) Try looking at older pressed DVD, you can also see some discs showing this rough edge also.

The only thing is that i feel Arita/Ritek probably selling lower grade discs for this. Some people even report getting a JPN-R01 (4x) discs. it’s just beyond me why Arita is selling 4x discs as 2.4x discs, unless they messedup the id/mis-printed it (not likely) or maybe those discs are not up to par for 4x. [/B]

75% of the spindle have that “uneven edge”. I pay for it, so I expect the highest quality possible.

I will try to exchange to get R01 tomorrow! My local OM has a new shipment around noon!

I think the only visible hint to ID R00 or R01 is the edge! No sure but I will report later tomorrow!

Originally posted by Dartman
I have a speed unlocked version of HSOE for my LiteOn 811 that a member of the firmware page made up, that’s why I can go faster. The regular firmwares I’ve tried all say 2.4 only so far.
It works very well at 4x and I even got working disks at 6 and 8 even though the quality was lousy. Not bad even at 60 bucks and some store are now subbing other media so you folks might want to check around.

I want to have fun a bit today, so i patched HS0P descriptor of R00 to 4x. (it it easily done, as long as you know how to use hexedit.) I only have time to burn only 1 disc from this ARITA RICONJPN-R00 at 4x though.

The result, well…, same old RICOH story on 811s. Scan at 4x get around 250 PI at the end of disc, scan at 2.4x get < 10 PI. Don’t know what to believe yet. Discs are still playable, btw.

I’ll burn another one tomorrow on my 1300A and scan it again. If the result is good, then i’ll go back to my NEC for these RICOH.