Whats up with my 708A

Ok, just notice the burn speed on my drive is stuck at 2x. It won’t give me an option for higher speeds. I am using Fuji DVD-R media that is rated at 4x. Nero detects is as a Ritek G03. It won’t even give me the option to burn at 4x let alone 8x. It burns good disks, I am just sick of spending 30 minutes to burn a DVD. That is why I bought a 8x burner. Here is what I have checked so far:

Drive came with 1.03 firmware and have flashed 1.04 and 1.06 all with the same results.

I have verified that the drive is operating at DMA2 and it is set as master on the secondary IDE with a DVD-rom as the slave on the secondary. I have checked all jumpers on the back of the drives.

I have tried using Nero6 alone and with DVDshrink. Both wont let me burn higher than 2x.

I burned a cd-r just to try that, and it burned fine at 40x

I haven’t burned any DVD-RW’s yet, but I don’t ever intend to.

Anyone have any ideas for what to try next. I am hoping not to have to use roxio, as I prefer Nero6.

Silly question, but are you using the full version, or demo version. I was under the impression that the full version doesn’t allow full speed burning… Only thing I can think of that would cause NERO not to allow faster burns.

I downloaded the demo version, then bought the serial key after the demo time ran out. Maybe I will install 5.5 and try that. I still have the cd key somewhere fori it.

I am running the internal function check/self test. Will see how it does. I just looked at the plextor site for campatibility. They list my 4x DVD-R’s that are the RITEK G03 as only compatible at 1-2x. If this is true, this drive was a total waste of money. I now have 50 dvd’s that take 30 minutes to burn. I could have saved myself a bunch of money and bought the lite-on DVD-RW drive and been able to burn the 50 disks I have at 8x. So much for product reputation counting for anything. What a freaking rip.:a

As with any drive, it’s usually a good idea to look at the “compatibiliby list”. As you’ve learned some drives burn media better than others and some burn faster than others… Just the way it is… Still haven’t heard of a drive that does it all.

spookyload wrote:

So much for product reputation counting for anything. What a freaking rip.

Don’t blame Plextor’s product reputation because you purchased media that isn’t able to burn @ 4x speed. As eltino said check the compatibility list next time before buying dvd media. It’s best to use the media that Plextor recommends. Big difference with the recommended media and the compatible ones. Other manufacturers of burners have their own compatibility problems with different brands of media. Take a look at the different forum sites in here like LiteOn & Pioneer.

PENT 4 2.4 GHZ CHIP, 1 GB DDRAM, WIN2K W/SP4
PLEXTOR 708A DUAL FORMAT DVD BURNER
PLEXTOR 40X12X40 CD BURNER
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CD BURNER
LITEON 411 DUAL FORMAT DVD BURNER
TOSHIBA 1612 DVD-ROM (2)
TOSHIBA 1712 DVD-ROM
60 & 120 GB MAXTOR HD, 120 GB EXTERNAL FIREWIRE HD
CANOPUS ADVC-100 DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR PCI IDE CONTROLLER CARD
ANTEC TRUE 430 & 300 POWER SUPPLY

Sorry if the first post sounded a bit heartless. But don’t worry we all make the same mistake once or twice and wether you choose to believe it or not your Plex is a “GOOD” drive. Overly priced (I know I bought two :bigsmile: ) but a good drive none the less. Also I’d try to look at it from the bright side. At least your burner is burning the media (even if at 2X) a lot of us have purchased media that simply doesn’t work or burn at all and have similarly wasted lots of money “figuring out” what works best with our drives. Fortunately if you read up on this forum, you’ll find that with the combined knowledge of all the members they can take a lot of the guess work out of finding the best media for your drive. Any how good luck with your drive and happy burning.

Hi spookyload,

if I am not wrong (I am not really sure about that), Ritek G03 are 1x-2x media, so I think that you will not be able to burn them at higher speed on any burner… Are you sure that those DVD-Rs are rated 4x? :confused:

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by spookyload
I am using Fuji DVD-R media that is rated at 4x. Nero detects is as a Ritek G03.

Originally posted by eltino
At least your burner is burning the media (even if at 2X) a lot of us have purchased media that simply doesn’t work or burn at all and have similarly wasted lots of money “figuring out” what works best with our drives.

I bought some crap media on eBay once, I forced that company to take my shipment back and give me a full refund. I was pissed. I found the Ritek light and never looked back. Newegg.com has good deals on them with free shippin’ :slight_smile:

spookyload, I have & use FujiFilm 5 pack DVD-R & they’re are TY-01 & mine are rated 4x but the same make & pack size of DVD+R are only 2.4x & are Ricohjpn R00. I have had ZERO problems with these discs about 20 burned all DVD movies. I suggest you look for another media, I have burned 4x DVD+R @ 8x with NO problems at these speeds either. My motto is also my subject line.
Spend some good money on quality media & YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE PROBLEMS YOU HAVE NOW!!! You can just bet just about any money on that, as 98% is media base 1% yer fault & last 1% is a bad drive. Now with all this info where do you think your percentage lies. Just for fun go out & buy TY or Verbatim 4x & see if that burns 4x or better. Make sure it has this reading of Certfied speed before buying if it doesn’t have a speed certified on the package you can just bet it’s only 2.4x or lower speed. If you think that you would have been better off with a Lite-ON just gotto the LiteOn forum of this web site & see all the problems they’re having, but just don’t stop there look at the NEC as well.

Bought some vibatrim(sp) dvd+r today. Burnded at 8x just fine. I guess at least I know it is the media. Might list the 2x on ebay and see how they do. Ebayers usually pay more than retail, so I will see what I can get for the 40 that are left. If not, I will just burn them reallllly slow. They don’t have errors, so I guess it is just a time thing.

spookyload, glad to see it wasn’t, a bad burner or yer fault. Most of the time it’s media, it just doesn’t pay to buy cheap quality media. But on the good side, good quality media goes on sale often, so when it does go buy a bunch.