What's up with 2050 expiration?

I’m a new SlySoft customer, and I just noticed the bit in their EULA that says the license is good until 2050.

Now, I fully understand that by that time DVD’s and CD’s will no longer be in use and we’ll be on to bigger and better things, so in reality this clause will have no effect (and most likely, I’ll be pushing up daisies), but it just seemed to be an odd clause to have in a EULA.

So, I was just wondering, “what’s up with that?”.

Welcome to cdfreaks as for your question the best and fastest response would be email slysoft support.

haha i never read EULAs even though i should

i’m no tslysoft (Dr. Who is right…this question is best directed to slysoft) nut here are my guesses:

1. like you they assume that 2050 was just an arbitrary date
  2. they were just putting osmething random in there to have some fun and see if anyone would notice
  3. on jan 1 2050 they’re going to make everyone rebuy their license and slysoft will use all of the money to buy out the MPAA and take over the world

than again i could be way off base… :slight_smile:

In 2050, I will be 100 years old. I will check and see if it has expired if I haven’t.

In 2050, I will be 100 years old. I will check and see if it has expired if I haven’t.
LOL good one strachan

Thanks for the welcome. I think I’ll pass on sending a support query - this is really just a curiosity.

I asked weirder question before so I’ll email and either post the response or James will here.

I just sent in the request and we must allow up to 48 hours for a response from them but here is the email I sent to them…

I just noticed the bit in their EULA that says the license is good until 2050.

Now, I fully understand that by that time DVD’s and CD’s will no longer be in use and we’ll be on to bigger and better things, so in reality this clause will have no effect (and most likely, I’ll be pushing up daisies), but it just seemed to be an odd clause to have in a EULA.

So, I was just wondering, “what’s up with that?”.

Here’s the thread if James wants to just post this answer on cdfreaks forum.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1498771#post1498771

I for one didn’t notice this and now am just curious as well. Thanks for answering such a weird/unusuall question. Have a great day.

Dr. Who

This is just an update been 3 days and no email reply. Weird I figured I’d get one in 48 hours as they said it would be.

You guys always ask questions the poor support people can’t answer. So they ask me and I have no idea as well. Maybe my boss believes that the world will explode in 2050?
More likely: Some lawyer told someone, that a license contract has more value in court, if it has a termination date.

Thanks James you’re the best.

I just hope we don’t have to give back our reg keys
Remember Hong Kong :wink:

Well I be 103 at that time and since I have decided I am not going to die anyway I will let you know if they stop supporting it then.

In 2050 there will no longer be a need for using AnyDVD, since movies will be distributed on flash cards and will feature industrial strength copy protect - Each card will be wifi ready and communicate through satcom with the provider in order to authenticate and receive bits and piece of the missing film. Copy protection will be variable and organic - Self changing scheme on the card itself making it virtually impossible to crack as the scheme will change itself. (how do I know all this ? I’ve seen it, been in the future…) You think DRM is bad, all I can say is BE VERY AFRAID…be VERY VERY afraid for what’s to come…

You think small of the future,
the year 2050 will be no need for AnyDVD as we will have memory chips inserted into us and we will order movies via a space satilite and they will be beamed into us from space and rather than actually watching a movie you will have memories of the movie. You will be able to connect to another person through a hand shake to transfer the movie.
Its my world and I can control it how I want to.:iagree::iagree:

Then maybe he should be generous and let any survivors have free licenses!

Those lawyers are always thinking something up…