What's the worst and best drive you own or have owned

vbimport

I was going though a pile of older drives today and I came across the LiteOn 1213S. I remember what a terrible drive this was when I first got it (in fact I returned the first one because it was so bad).

Nowadays my favorite drive is the LiteOn 20A3P. There are still drives that burn some media better (especially DL) but all around this drives has good quality burning, the most features and is fun to use (especially for over speed burning). :slight_smile:

So my worst drive is: LiteOn SOHW-1213S
And my best drive is: LiteOn DH20A3P

Worst drive: LiteOn SOHW-1633S [OEM’d as a Sony DW-D22A]
Best drive: a tie between Pioneer DVR-112D and LiteOn LH-20A1P

Comments:
[I]1633S: ate up media at 16x, and messed up a number of burns at 12x and 8x.

DVR-112D: great CD and DVD writing quality, speedy [relatively] at both P-CAV and Z-CLV on DVD media

LH-20A1P: overspeeds some DVD media better than my other drives usually, pretty good DVD writing quality, does well with both good and crud media[/I]

My worst drive was the BTC 1008IM (yes I really had this drive)

The best one, hmm, …, there are two

1.) Sammy SH-S203B
2.) Lite-On LH-20A1P

Worst Drive: Hands down, the SOHW-811S. So-so burns on even the best DVD+R media, and abyssmal burns on any and all DVD-R. This was the only DVD writer I’ve had that consistently produced discs with POFs. On the other hand, it was very likely the most capable DVD reader I’ve every used. Funny, that.

Best All-Around Drives: PX-716A and DW1640. Both can do just about anything–burn well, scan well, read well, overburn, etc.

Best Niche Writer (DVD burning): DVR-112. It can’t scan. Half of mine cannot even recognize CD’s. It produces uber-compatible burns that play anywhere and scan well if I keep the speed at 8x. Great with DVD+R media.

Honorable Mentions:
SHM-165P6S: level-headed scanner, decent CD-burner, some cool CK firmwares.
ND-3500AG: heck of a writer
DVR-115: great 8x DVD writer, good CD writer
PX-760A: really just a 716A with faster burn speeds

Best drive is the Optiarc AD-7201S for me. The burn quality is excellent and that’s what counts for me.

I first wanted to mention the NEC ND-7551A as being the worst drive, but reading H3rB3i’s post reminded me of the BTC 1004IM that I had for a few weeks until I returned it again (even replaced the first drive after a few days). This drive was nothing but a coaster creator. I’m not sure if any of the discs that I tried to burn with this drive was readable at all.

Some liteon dvd-rom 165 (or something like that) broke after 6 months.

The best drives for me are, Yamaha 4/4/16 (ide) / Pioneer 160 (i broke that drive) after that Nec 3500 and the Optiarc 7200A.

Best drive…LOL I have three drives tied for this one :stuck_out_tongue:

1. LG 4163B - legendary drive :wink:

2. Sammy SH-S182D - given the problems some of you have experienced with this drive, it might be a bit of a surprise to see this as one of my best ones. However, my drive has none of the (in)famous problems, and is a real workhorse. I even have a spare :stuck_out_tongue:

3. LiteOn 1693S - great reader/ripper/scanner, good DVD and CD burner. I was quite fond of this drive.

Worst drive:
LiteOn LDW-851S. My first DVD drive, performance on this wasn’t terrific, creating many coasters. Crossflashed it with C0deKing’s firmware to an SOHW-832S which improved things somewhat, though it was never one of my best drives.

I’ve tried to forget the succession of Lite-on cdrw drives that died on me and my friends/coworkers…so their model numbers are lost in the murks of time. The absolute worst was a flaky Creative dvd rom drive.

I’ve had good luck with dvd burners (an exception was the Samsung SH-203B). My current favorite is the Pioneer 215L.

Good to see how many different best drives there are. :iagree:

I never had the pleasure/displeasure of owning a LiteOn x11S or a BTC drive. :disagree:

My first drive that brought me to CDFreaks, was a LiteOn 451S. I was looking for how to crossflash it to an 851S, which I had heard could be done quite easily.

Worst: Samsung TSST-552B/U, didn’t even bother to keep this drive for more than a week.

Best: Pioneer DVR-112/D, VERY TOUGH decision since there are others.

Just stumbled across this- I don’t normally look here.

My worst drive was a Tevion (rebadged Acer) 4432 CD burner. The best thing it did was to die, so that I purchased a LiteOn LTR-48246S- And that has been my best drive- over 1000 CDR’s burned and more than that scanned (amd it`s still my main CD drive!)

But I guess you mean DVD drives. The worst one was my first drive, an SOHW-1213S (hi C0deking). But it had great value as a scanning testbed- I learned a lot- and crossflashing with 1653S fw helped a lot.

Can’t say which is my best DVD-drive, but the LiteOn 165P6S does everything I want (Philips@BenQ-1650 and Px-755 are used mostly for scanning and the Optiarc 7203S is just 4 days old).

G

[QUOTE=MediumRare;2152185]…I purchased a LiteOn LTR-48246S- And that has been my best drive- over 1000 CDR’s burned and more than that scanned (amd it`s still my main CD drive!)…[/QUOTE]
As far as CD-R burners go, I’ll give props to that and the LTR-52327S… cheap, capable and reliable. Noisy, though. :slight_smile:

This is the list i could think of quickly:

Worst CD burner: Ricoh MP712
Best CD Burner: PX 40/12/40A

Worst DVD burner: Toshiba SDR5212 - well not that bad but very very picky with media and bad bad bad firmware support.
Best DVD burner: PX740A (rebadged BenQ)

Worthless Pieces of Crap: Pioneer DVR-112D, Plextor PX-716A

Greatest of All-Time: BenQ DW1640, Optiarc AD-7200A, Lite-On DH-20A4H, Plextor PX-760A

[QUOTE=Arachne;2151583]2. Sammy SH-S182D - given the problems some of you have experienced with this drive, it might be a bit of a surprise to see this as one of my best ones. However, my drive has none of the (in)famous problems, and is a real workhorse. I even have a spare :p[/QUOTE]

What problems (plural)? As far as I know, the drive only had one problem (singular), and it was wholly unrelated to burn quality or other functionality. In addition, unlike the craptacular DVR-112D or PX-716A, the problem (singular) was not hardware related, and was eventually fixed via firmware.

So no, we are not surprised you think it’s one of the best. In fact, I see people trash the later model SH-S202x drives all the time, while continuing to praise the SH-S182x drives. For many, it was the last decent Samsung PATA drive.

Funny how someones worst drive can be somebody else’s best drive. :smiley:

The Pioneer DVR-112 series is my favourite burning drive so far (in general, not for all media). Some other drives are close. Some other drives have other feautures that the Pioneer drives don’t offer such as e.g. scanning.

Worst is probably the Optiarc AD-5170/7170/7173 series which has the most incredibly bad build quality I have experienced. Out of 5 drives tried, two were dead on arrival, one died after few months of light use, one I gave away to be used as a DVD-ROM drive due to bad burn quality, and one I’m keeping but don’t use due to poor relinking for DVD-R media.

My Matshita UJ-840S laptop drive is a runner-up for my worst drive nomination, since it hates pretty much all DVD±R media I tried burning at 8x, except YUDEN000 T03.

[QUOTE=negritude;2156712]What problems (plural)? As far as I know, the drive only had one problem (singular), and it was wholly unrelated to burn quality or other functionality. In addition, unlike the craptacular DVR-112D or PX-716A, the problem (singular) was not hardware related, and was eventually fixed via firmware.

So no, we are not surprised you think it’s one of the best. In fact, I see people trash the later model SH-S202x drives all the time, while continuing to praise the SH-S182x drives. For many, it was the last decent Samsung PATA drive.[/QUOTE]

Should have been problem - I’m not the world’s best typist/proof-reader. I was talking about the problem some of the 182D’s have with the DVD-R lead-in.

It wasn’t fixed via firmware for every 182D owner. I’ve seen plenty of posts where, despite users trying the “CDF Edition” firmware, their problem (singular :p) still remains. Why that is, I don’t know.

Also despite the fact that this appears to be a firmware problem, I have used all the stock firmwares up to SB06, and have no such problem with my 182D. :wink:

I must have missed all the posts praising that model - mostly I see complaints about the DVD-R lead-in problem. However, I do see plenty of posts praising the 203x series.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2156718]Funny how someones worst drive can be somebody else’s best drive. :smiley:

The Pioneer DVR-112 series is my favourite burning drive so far (in general, not for all media).[/QUOTE]

As with my media, I take into consideration things other than simple burn quality. :cool:

The DVR-112D was a complete fiasco from an overall quality control and customer service standpoint, and that makes it a piece of crap, in my own humble opinion. I wouldn’t care if it could burn 100s all day long, Pioneer dropped the ball on that drive. :Z

[QUOTE=Arachne;2156770]I was talking about the problem some of the 182D’s have with the DVD-R lead-in.

It wasn’t fixed via firmware for every 182D owner.[/QUOTE]

It was if they were paying attention:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/dvd-r-lead-fixed-samsung-sh-s182d-m-237514/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1974922-post33.html

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1974934-post34.html

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2079661-post65.html