What's the shortest lived technology?

Alrighty … PCI express is around the corner … we know this because the biggest/second biggest contender on the block in the video world is now making their chips for PCI express & using an AGP bridge, rather than making an AGP chip & using a PCI-express bridge.

That means that the life of AGP is seriously limited.

I remember back in april 1997, I bought & assembled my first PC & I was spewing because Intels new AGP standard was pretty much being poo-pooed by all of the (incredibly shortsighted) critics & especially 3DFX (the biggest, nay, the only contender for 3D accelerators), and I unfortunately believed them & stuck with a PCI only motherboard, which saved me $100au ($80US).

I was actually peeved in 1998 when I wanted to upgrade my video card, and there were NO PCI cards available, only AGP

This means that AGP is only 7-8 years old, and is now quickly becoming extinct.

So, what’s the shortest lived technology ever?

betamax :stuck_out_tongue:

im not sure. how long did laserdiscs last?

Betamax was/is still used by many TV stations, as it provides much higher quality than VHS recorders.

Similarly, they often still use the old laserdiscs as the quality is much better than DVD (apparently) although it could simply be because they are too cheap to invest in a decent dvd player :wink:

Betamax was the first thing that sprung to my mind too. But actually I think Betamax recorders were still in production in Japan until just a few years ago.

VESA and Pentium 60/66 didn’t last long.

And don’t forget Windows ME. :slight_smile:

Oooh! I remember the pentium bug :slight_smile:
I scored a free buggy pentium 66 from that :wink:

2+2 = 3.999999999 :wink:

Hehehehe :slight_smile:

Methinks Windows ME was dead from it’s inception. It was just a new colour scheme for windows 98SE …

Ls120

Weren’t that those floppy disk drives with normal and 120 meg media?

Yep they were…

What bout the Philips CDI and DCC? They have been in shops for some years, but I don’t think they have been alive… ever.

LS120 seemed popular for a while but it appeared long after CD-ROM and GB HDDs became ubiquitous.

Analog HDTV.

Ram Buss

Did you mean Rambus memory? It’s well alive though no more widely used in desktop PC memory. Due to the cost problems, nobody can manufacture DRAM chips without producing by the “mass” without stopping.

Since DDR-SDRAM nearly monopolized desktop DRAM market, average cost of memory per PC started rising and the few surviving DDR-SDRAM manufacturers all got very rich recording phenomenal yearly profits. Samsung made 10 billion profits this year from DRAM alone. The irony is that it was the very price of cost per performance that helped DDR-SDRAM to win the competition against SDR-SDRAM and RDRAM.

Dat

Sinclair C5 http://www.sinclairc5.com/ :Z

yea thats what i meant i guess i misspelled it thats how much i have seen it around I actualy have one of my old pc here p4 2.4GHz it has rambus when they came out i thought they will be the biggest

HD-BURN

i think MiniDisc only lasted a few years, to bridge the gap between portable CD players and MP3 players.

MD is lasting more than 10 years. I actually was thinking of buying a Kenwood MD recorder for about US$100 yesterday. There are still many people who use MD.

fair enough, i just dont see them in the uk much any more.

ben L(