What's the Nexus 4 like?

vbimport

I’m due a phone upgrade, and I was thinking about the new HTC one. That was until I seen the price of updating to that phone.

I’ve been looking at the Google Nexus 4, which I can get as a free upgrade on my existing tariff. It seems to have a good spec, but does anyone have a Nexus 4, or have opinions on it?

My existing phone is the HTC Desire S.

IMO, it is a good phone with some very good hardware. Like many Google devices it has limited connection options. If you can live with these limitations it is a great value. One thing I really like about the Nexus hardware is the OS is updated regularly and often since it is a Google device.

Thanks for the reply, [B]UTR[/B].
When you say it has limited connectivity, do you mean cell network connectivity?
And if so, in what way? Doesn’t support 4G/LTE?

I had some hands on with the Nexus 4 today, and I have to say I liked what I seen. The screen is very good, and Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 seems very nice.

At first when I saw it, I thought it looked quite large, but even with its 4.7 display it still sits nice in my hand, and it feels solid and well built.

It doesn’t support LTE networks last I read. It also doesn’t have a microcard slot or HDMI out if these things are importnt to you. It does have some awesome hardware though snd it looks like a good value if you can live without a card slot and LTE support.

LTE is not supported (there was one band that was technically available in old builds of the OS, but since the hardware design was changed to not support LTE, the software disabled that one band).

HDMI out is available via an adapter over the microUSB port with a certain adapter.

The amount of storage you purchase is the amount of storage you get; no internal microSD card expansion is supported. You must rely on the cloud or Bluetooth/USB syncing with another computing device.

Thanks
4G is not a deal breaker. It would have been nice for the future, but we don’t have 4G here anyway, not yet anyway.

The Nexus 4 model in the upgrade deal is the 16GB model. Having just checked my HTC Desire S, which had an 8GB SD card, there is 5.9GB free after 2 years of use, so I guess 16GB will be more than enough.

I probably won’t connect the phone to the TV, but it has wireless display support, and should work with our TV if I needed to connect it that way.

Other phones that are available in the upgrade deal are…
Sony Xperia J.
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini.
Apple IPhone 4S (16GB)
Apple IPhone 5 (16GB) but with an upfront cost of £199
HTC One (16GB) with an upfront cost of £149
Sony Xperia Z (16GB) with an upfront cost of £49. But it’s far to large.

Specs wise, I don’t think any one of the alternatives is necessarily better than the Nexus 4. If the HTC One greatly improved on anything that I felt worthwhile, I would recommend it; it is said to be an attractive package. With the HTC device, only two or three things in hardware are improvements that I find worthwhile (audio quality and low-light camera performance are two that catch my eye, but really, the difference in quality probably is imperceptible to all but the most picky of users). Not enough to choose it over the LG device.

[QUOTE=Dee;2682104]
Other phones that are available in the upgrade deal are…
Sony Xperia J.
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini.
Apple IPhone 4S (16GB)
Apple IPhone 5 (16GB) but with an upfront cost of £199
HTC One (16GB) with an upfront cost of £149
Sony Xperia Z (16GB) with an upfront cost of £49. But it’s far to large.[/QUOTE]
Yurgh :Z

What additional costs have been built into the plans to compensate for those phones.?
Don’t like any of those phones.

Consider changing providers?

Here in oz, a whole bunch of cheap providers are using the older, but premier 3G network (telstra) with unlimited plans or at least excessive phone/sms/data amounts, albeit at a lower speed than 4G, at bargain basement prices. Literally 1/3 the cost, ie; $20-30au. The difference can be put into a phone that you really want, rather than the cheap garbage that the Telco is trying to peddle for “free”.

Another thing worth considering is buying the phone separately and moving to a cheaper 12-month or short 1 month contract tariff.

For example, the 8GB Nexus 4 is £239 on Google Play. When split over 24-months, this work out at roughly £10/month, so if you can switch to a tariff that is over £10 cheaper that still covers the minutes and data you use, it would be well worth getting the phone separately.

Buying the phone separately would also mean not having to put up with the remainder of the 24 month contact if the provider does something nasty. The phone would also be SIM-free, so no cost in unlocking it either or waiting until the end of the contract for the unlock code.

Personally, I would get the Nexus 4 as my next phone but it’s not available in Ireland yet and Google will not ship here, i.e. requires UK credit card and matching UK billing address. :doh:

I want to stay with my existing provider, as they are pretty much the only provider to have reliable 3G coverage in this area, plus my tariff suits my needs.
I have 100 minutes talk time which I can’t use anyway, 5000 texts, and unlimited data.

I could keep my HTC Desire S and have discount, but the battery is on the way out.
So, I’m more than likely to take an upgrade phone on my existing tariff.

[QUOTE=Dee;2682234]I want to stay with my existing provider, as they are pretty much the only provider to have reliable 3G coverage in this area, plus my tariff suits my needs.[/QUOTE]
Call them and whinge that other telco’s can do an equivalent plan cheaper :iagree:
Then you might be able to wrangle an upgrade to a phone you really want, or they might shave a few $$ off your plan, while maintaining the same plan :wink:

I got a chance to play with the Nexus 4 for 15 minutes (in the shop) last night, and liked how it worked. So, I’ve decided to go for the Nexus 4.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. :flower: