What's the maximum DVD write speed that you can use over a 54Mbps wireless network?

vbimport

Hi folks,

I’ve been messing around all night (currently between jobs!) shrinking some of my episodic DVD’s onto another PC’s HDD over a wireless network. Does anyone know what the maximum safe speed is that I can burn the ISOs at over a 54.0Mbps wireless connection with an excellent signal?

Sláinte

midders

I wouldn’t recommend it at all. Transfer the files to the local hard drive and burn from it. The theoretical maximum speed of your connection would only allow 4x burning, but in the real world, wireless networks only perform at 1/3-2/3 their maximum speed (overhead etc). I have benchmarked my super wireless G network (suppose to be capable of 108Mbps but always connects at 54Mbps), and real world speed is about 2.5MBps (maybe 20Mbps). Thats only fast enough for 1x burning or maybe 2x if you are lucky.

You can google for software to benchmark your network, or the easy way is to transfer a couple of hundred MB file, and time it with a watch, then divide the size of the file by the number of seconds. Here is what you need for burning
Drive speed Data rate ~Write time (min)
(Mibit/s) (MB/s) SL DL
1× 10.55 1.35 61 107
2× 21.09 2.70 30 54
2.6× 27.43 3.51 24 42
4× 42.19 5.40 15 27
6× 63.30 8.10 11 18
8× 84.38 10.80 8 14
12× 126.60 16.20 6 11
16× 168.75 21.60 4 7
18× 189.90 24.30 3 5
20× 211.00 27.00 3 4

And keep in mind, if it slows down below speed for even a second, it could crash your burn (you normally want the info available reasonably faster than the drive needs it).

Thanks for that, ripit; I’ve just copied three ISOs locally using the wired 108Mbps network and it took over half an hour!

Sláinte

midders

I’m not sure what program you are using, but you should be able to shrink it to the hard drive across the network if you like with many programs anyway. Doing that, it doesn’t matter how fast it goes (as fast as your network will allow). That is because hard drives of course, don’t care what speed you write to them. That would help overlap the time it takes to shrink with the time it takes to transfer over the network. When you actually burn the dvd to an optical disk though, thats where you shouldn’t do it over a network at all, even if you can. Dvd’s are designed to burn at a certain speed, and the write strategy is optimized for burning at that speed. If you do not provide data fast enough, the dvd burner has to slow down in the middle of the burning process. That can crash the burn, but even if it doesn’t, it can seriously hurt the quality and reliability of the burn. For the actual burn to dvd step, you need to work off a hard drive that is actually in the machine you are working on.