What's the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r?

The topic says it all, I’m just curious. tia :slight_smile:

nvm I find the article at http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/110/2

Good you found the search :bigsmile:

Wish more people would use it, you do get answers more quickly…you have just proven that!

What is the difference between DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW?

The truth is that the two competing technologies use different formats. No single company “owns” DVD and both technologies have their “champions”.

DVD-R/RW was developed by Pioneer. Based on CD-RW technology, it uses a similar pitch of the helix, mark length of the ‘burn’ for data, and rotation control. DVD-R/RW is supported by the DVD Forum, an industry-wide group of hardware and software developers, and computer peripheral manufacturers. The DVD-R format has been standardized in ECMA-279 by the Forum, but this is a private standard, not an ‘industry’ ISO standard like the CD-R/RW Red Book or Orange Book standard.

DVD+R/RW is also based on CD-RW technology. DVD+R/RW is supported by Sony, Philips, HP, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha, and others, and has recently been endorsed by Microsoft. DVD+R/RW is not supported by the DVD Forum, but the Forum has no power to set industry standards, so it becomes a market-driven issue.

DVD Forum

DVD+RW Alliance

DVDplusRW.org

I don’t know who the simple-minded person was who said that the difference between the two formats is that they are competing to be the most popular dvd format. The truth is, is that DVD+R is a dvd disc that allows multiple layers for one disc where as dvd-r only allows one layer. They will not compete to become the de Facto standard, because they are both here to stay. Multi layer DVD+R can allow extra capacity per disc than DVD-R hence its high cost!

PS

I worked on the original DVD project in 1997 with Phillips, Sony, HP and SYBASE!

Originally posted by daEngineer

I don’t know who the simple-minded person was who said that the difference between the two formats is that they are competing to be the most popular dvd format.
As it once was with VHS and Betamax.
Aficionados of Beta believe that the picture and sound quality of Beta is superior to VHS.
Eventually VHS overtook Beta in the consumer market, ultimately leading to the almost complete disappearance of Beta machines and pre-recorded Beta tape.

so it becomes a market-driven issue.:wink:

Betamax would not allow X-rated movies, whereas VHS did…
Video2000 was superior in quality, but disappeared after a bad marketing stratgy from Philips…as with DCC and some other inventions…

It is all in marketing…best example is M$

|

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere

|

LOL. Sure ! :bigsmile: