Whats the deal with AOL?

vbimport

Everyone is always going on about how, basically crap aol is, but nobody actually says why??

Im on aol gold, i pay £19 per month for 2mbps internet and i dont use the software, i connect via a router and network. I dont have any problems, well i think the speeds are abit ‘all over the place’ but still

But i really want to know…

Whats the deal with aol?

BOOST

Everyone is always going on about how, basically crap aol is, but nobody actually says why??

Im on aol gold, i pay £19 per month for 2mbps internet and i dont use the software, i connect via a router and network. I dont have any problems, well i think the speeds are abit ‘all over the place’ but still

But i really want to know…

Whats the deal with aol?

I used to be with BT but switched to AOL when BT introduced a monthly limit and fair usage policy.
AOL doesn’t have these restrictions.

I have a couple of problems with AOL,
firstly I don’t use any of their added applications plus the amount of things that are running in the task manager has to be seen to be believed.
Secondly, there is a big packet loss at this IP-195.93.17.126 (around 80%)

On the whole I can d/l at full speed and don’t get any disconnection problems plus no hassle for all my downloading. :slight_smile:

Try attempting to cancel your account. Then you will see what is wrong with AOL. :rolleyes: :doh:

Also word of advice when you do cancel, go to your bank to make sure they cant take no more payments using your card details or direct debit details.

And also while you are there at your bank ask the personal help advisor at your bank if ever they get any complaints or hassles from people using AOL with the people that bank with them in the UK.

AOL is under-handed. They are crooks. They are almost impossible to cancel. They give you a run around and trick people and keep taking money from them. They’re sneaky about it. When you do call to cancel you have to get nasty with them to get them to listen and actually cancel your account. They play dumb on the phone and forget about trying to talk to a supervisor. They always tell you there aren’t any. They can barely speak english too.

On the software side of it. It sucks. It locks up a lot and the disk puts all kind of garbage on your hard drive. It’s almost impossible to get it all off once it’s on there. It runs slow too. The mail sucks too. It’s like stone age. So outdated.

Avoid AOL at all costs!

never had aol since I heard along time ago how hard it is to stop there service

i sold my old pc to a friend and he got aol broadband, i had BT on it before with no problems, with aol on it i couldn’t install a couple of antivirus programs (seperatly) on it, it gave nothing but bother, boot up problems even with a clean reinstallation of the OS, AOL & and antivrius program, i’ll never use AOL :a

I dont use the aol service, when i got my computer i installed the software then reinstalled xp pro leaving aol on it. Now my system doesnt use the service or software, but then i plugged my computer up to my router, now i dont get any connection notices whatsoever and i get 1.7MBPS on gold (bandwidth test)
Nothing comes up for internet or anything like that, i have no internet connections. But i can still access the internet normally. I dont use the aol dialler or nothing
I hate them now :frowning:
Im also stuck with them for another 9months after them giving me an ‘amazing’ offer when i asked to leave

Now if i try to quit, they will probably charge me the remaining months

Also i have managed to set up outlook express to do my emails

What? No more You Got Mail!?:bow:

I was horrified at my friend’s experiences of AOL. I don’t use AOL but my friend does and has had nothing but bother. He upgraded from AOL dial-up to broadband and for months now he has been trying to get connected to AOL but with no success (he is still paying monthly for the service!).

He asked me to help but when I 'phoned AOL they had no record of his account or 'phone number yet he can log-on and access AOL from an internet cafe or my computer etc. After months, still no satisfaction.

Interestingly, and this is the first time I’ve noticed this type of thing, on the blurb on the AOL installation CD cover there is the note in bold to the effect “…as this is an instant service there is no cooling off period as required by law…etc” To me, this smacks of sharp-practice because this infers if the service sucks then there is no redress!

If people find themselves in such a situation (paying for a service they have never/cannot use) contact their local Citizen’s Advice Bereau (CAB) - if one exists near them due to funding cuts.

Otherwise contact the Consumer Council, first by 'phone then by letter. The Consumer Council has to act on the written query if you are fobbed off on the 'phone enquiry. If enough people write they have powers to curb this type of activity. To save you some time contact AOL first and include their response to the Consumer Council.

The consumer issues raised here are along the lines of “product or service suitable for purpose”, “product or service fit for purpose” and “true and fair advertising of service”.

You could also write to your MP. The good thing is that, under law, your MP has to respond within x days and keep you informed as to the progress of your complaint. This is extra work for MPs and they don’t like it and if enough people write (say x hundreds) then legally he/she has to x hundreds of complaints individually - this is an excellent method of getting things done and making these characters work for their money!

This might seem a lot of work for you and sometimes service providers depend on this fact in that if you can’t be bothered to complain and make them accountable then they can get away with it. My only advice is to be tenacious and persevere.

Good luck.

LMAO! I no, its like… I CAN SEE THAT BY THE BIG RED FU**ING NUMBER 2 NEXT TO THE EMAILS LOGO THING!!! :clap:

So what should i do exactly about if i want to leave them? I dont have any problems but i want faster broadband, what would be my best option?

Depends on how long you have been with them and where you are. You do know the speeds are [B]upto[/B] there is no speed gaurantee with any supplier? AS a domestic customer you have to share the pipe with upto 50 other users so at peak times there can be a slow down.

also it is kinda like your granmothers internet.
Bruce

Do your best to get the service working with AOL because if it works as it should then you should both be happy. If you are a,say, a month into the contract with 11 months to go then you are stuck with it - unless there is some part of the contract AOL are not meeting. In this instance you [I]might [/I] get a refund of the outstanding months but I wouldn’t hold your breath. Check out their EULA for some creative literature! But get the name of the person you are talking to and, if available, an AOL reference/log number of the call. Note the date and time. Using this information, include it in any writted correspondence to AOL. Get from AOL a definitive cut-off date for the service [B]and [/B] direct debits - if this arrangement is made orally get it comfirmed in writing. Everything they and you agree to in writing is part of a contract. This process applies to any service suppliers.

I use BT ‘Option 3’ but as someone else said providers are pretty much of a muchness except in my case BT were in breach of contract (the modem wasn’t delivered on the day agreed etc). BT gave me 3 months free broadband and a refund of cost plus something extra for the day off work waiting for them (came to a value of £300) and was settled with a 'phone call and letter to the head buck cat. However, downloads with BT range from 15k to 1.3 mb/sec but this is due to so many variables involved in internet traffic.

I’m interested in developments with Carphone Warehouse ‘Talk Talk’ deal offering free internet but tied to their service etc.

At the end of the day you just have to do the numbers ask friends and neighbours about the quality of their service - if they are consistently reaching higher speeds discuss this with AOL as theye might be something amiss with your settings etc. Also, check out how far you are from the local telephone exchange. Evidently the further away the greater the reduction in bandwidth if this is the case then it dosen’t matter who you are with in that the bandwidth will always be reduced.

Actually my grandmum has just got new fast BT broadband :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, cant you just have broadband providers where you can choose who you want to be with! Not be tied up for 12month contracts!!
I could accept a 6month contract at a time or you can leave after 4months but have to pay £30 early leaving fee, as i can see why they tie you to a contract, becaus else their money and income would be all over the place. Normally its whatever your remaining months times by how much you normally pay monthly.

Good for grams,lol
Bruce

well she dont no how to use it lol
she just got it because now my granddad is retired and the firm he used to work for doesnt pay for his phone and internet bills, cars, mobile phones and petrol. He has suddenly discovered that dial up is rubbish, so he has just got a new comp, also paid by the firm as a leaving present and bt broadband

Now they are having a major problem with their sky, does anyone else have problems with their sky freezing/locking up??

[B]nothings for free[/B], you have to pay a connection charge and there’s also a monthly fee, i believe, read the small print carefully before you agree to anything

[B] Very Very True !!! [/B] Most of the time if not all of the time something for free ends up costing A lot more in the long run. Companies are only here for one thing that is to make money and they will do it anyway they can :slight_smile:

Sorry Bjrock, the post went awry (bit like AOL) just me trying to be smart and cynical, the free should have been ‘free’ - you are right there is no such thing as a free lunch, unless you are an NGO (only joking all you NGOs!).

Posts highlight a major issue though, broadband service, like a lot of services incl. car insurance, life/health ins. etc is based on a large company dealing with the individual. Its OK saying read the small print but I know a lot of OAPs trying the internet for the first time, ‘silver-surfers’ etc. who, quite frankly are being taken for a ride. If something goes wrong reaching a mutual resolution can result in something like a David and Goliath epic.

I would like to see an extension/modification of the 14 days ‘cooling-off’ period by which if someone cannot get the service up and running to the standards the service is advertised as being able to achieve then the customer should not be locked in to fruitless (for the consumer) 12 month contracts.

This is a two-way street. For example, I know a lot of people who are satisfied by AOL service but from my experiences I would not touch it with a barge pole and would not recommend it to anyone. Yet, if AOL had put in place adequate customer support then these problem would hane been resolved amicably, another loyal customer retained and more custom via word-of-mouth.

The mind boggles at the marketing strategy of some of these companies until you remember they ar ‘locked in’ and once they have your money who cares?