What's the current scoop on the NEC 1300A?

These drives are becoming dirt cheap in comparison to the DRU510a’s, memory media has them for 169$ shipped if you mention pricewatch, no software/whitebox…

worth purchasing? the thread about the nec’s seems to have died on the 14th and I need some negative/positive feedback on these before I order one thinking i’m saving money

I got the Buslink version from CompUSA and so far (about 20 DVDs) I have been very happy with it. All the tales of woe on the forums about failed burns and compatibility had me worried that burning DVDs was some kind of rocket-science, but it’s not. I’d say get one.

Originally posted by shawndubb
[B]These drives are becoming dirt cheap in comparison to the DRU510a’s, memory media has them for 169$ shipped if you mention pricewatch, no software/whitebox…

worth purchasing? the thread about the nec’s seems to have died on the 14th and I need some negative/positive feedback on these before I order one thinking i’m saving money [/B]

As long as you understand the pros and cons of this model, I’d say this is a good buy. This is basically a +R/W burner with -R/W function, and its official firmware is notorious for not burning most cheap -R discs up to 4X. If you only buy quality (meaning expensive) brands of DVD-R discs or mainly burn +R discs, then this a pretty good choice. There is plenty discussion of this model at the firmware page website and hacked firmwares are available to improve the -R writing performance. Otherwise, consider other brands of dual format, such as Pioneer or Optorite. Pioneer is the only brand which seems to burn all brands of DVD-R discs up to 4X.

The reason this model is so cheap is that NEC wants to grab the market share as much as possible before Taiwan and Koren manufacturers enter the competition. Lite-On apparently delayed its entry in the dual format market due to technical difficulty encountered in the DVD-R(W) field. It recently in Taiwan showed an external version of a dual burner which is actually the OEM of NEC ND-1300A, further evidence that we won’t be seeing Lite-On’s own version of dual format burner in the near future.

Well i bought one this month and it hasnt worked very well. It only tends to like certain burning software. It worked for me using easy 6 dvd but dvd x copy locks my comp up real bad so its risky i wouldnt buy one. But thats just me.

I have exactly the same problem…have you found any other software that works with the drive…???

Since ND-1300A came to the market in late May, it sometimes takes a month ot two for software developers to catch up, especially if they are lazy. The important thing is to go to the website of the software you currently use and download either the latest version or the latest patch. Most people prefer Nero because its constant update and very comprehensive functions.

I’ve used Nero 5.5.10.42, Clone DVD, DVD Decrypter, DVD shrink 2.3 and Easy CD 6 (came with drive) without problems with this drive, on Windows XP Pro.

I’ve had problems with XCopy and the 1300A also. I’ve worked around it though by using Copy2DVD to burn after XCopy rips to the HD. Just rename the XCopy temp folder after the rip, close XCopy then burn with Copy2DVD.

Haven’t had any problems with the Xpress version which I believe actually uses the VSO burn engine.

As some of you might have read in the messages above, there’s no real problem with this drive, except for some softwares that don’t know how to use it (yet).

I got my 1300a a couple of weeks (6?) ago and I am quite satisfied with it. As I don’t have too many special needs, I only used Nero up till now (and Nero works great with this drive).

The only software I can get to work with this drive is:-

Easy CD Creator 6 & Alcohol 120%

Originally posted by ady199
[B]The only software I can get to work with this drive is:-

Easy CD Creator 6 & Alcohol 120% [/B]

Well yes, I read your thread and I don’t know what’s causing this, but I do know that’s not the DVDR drive that’s responsible for this problem. Out of all programs you tried, at least Nero should work great with this drive…

Discjuggler works great with this drive

Originally posted by ady199
[B]The only software I can get to work with this drive is:-

Easy CD Creator 6 & Alcohol 120% [/B]

Do you mean the Platinum version 6 works with the 1300a? According to Roxio’s website it doesn’t support the drive and I tried it awhile ago and had some problems. How did you get it to work? Thanks.

Hi, I’ve just bought a 1300A.

I installed Nero 6 as It’s decided that it’s a 2X drive.

I’ve bought some Princo 4X disks.

I’ve installed the latest 1.07 hacked firmware (couldn’t find the non-hacked one)

Now, is this likely because of the Princo disks?
Because even in Nero’s Choose Recorder screen is states the speed as 2X.

What 4X DVD -R disk could I buy that is high enough quality to gurantee that it is or is not the Princo Disks?

Thanks,

D.

it’s the princo media.

Originally posted by AZimmortal

it’s the princo media.

You bet !!! Buy name brand media,TDK,Memorex,et al. Sure it’s more expensive,but you also spend less money on headache medicine…Good Luck…:cool:

Dammit, Discrite always did me well with it’s CDRs…

I’ll be sending them back tomorrow…

Those big brand names are LUDICROUSLY expensive here… (UK)

OK, but it’s not that I want cheap media, it’s that I don’t want to pay for the cases and that. I want good media but on a spindle to put in my big case. Can you get good media on spindles?

Ta,

D.

Well shop here!

whoah… :rolleyes:

that’s a lot of different DVDs…

How about a tub of Maxell 4X -Rs?

The 1300A is in the list and I know the brand name.

Also, this Ritek G04 seems to be praised.

Can somebody who knows about this give me some pointers?

Ta.

The list of DVD-Rs from that shop.

D.

i’m using the FWS 4x dvd-r disc in packs of 10 medai and burnt it to the max limit full on 4x and it’s been perfect.

cheapish but i’d like to find cheaper so if anyone knows then please get in contact