What's the best way to remove dust before burning CD-Rs?

Hi, I’ve noticed some CD-Rs I have burned have dark spots on them where dust had been. What’s the best way to remove dust from the recording surface of a CD-R before burning? I’ve read that compressed air in a can is an option, but I’ve also read that it can damage the disc. Thanks for any help.

[QUOTE=Firewalker;2298775]Hi, I’ve noticed some CD-Rs I have burned have dark spots on them where dust had been. What’s the best way to remove dust from the recording surface of a CD-R before burning? I’ve read that compressed air in a can is an option, but I’ve also read that it can damage the disc. Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]
If you shake or hold the can at a angle it might spray a liquid instead of gas this is how your disc will become damaged so if used properly a compressed gas duster works great, I have been using this method for years.

Yep, nothing wrong with canned air, with a few caveats:

1. Always buy the air in medium to tall size cans. The small cans that places like OfficeMax sell tend to spray liquid which can damage the disc.

2. Never tilt the can more than a little bit, because tilting it too much will cause it to spray liquid and damage the disc.

3. Never spray the air at full blast or for long periods. Short bursts of air gently applied will do the trick.

4. Always test the can of air first before using it on your discs, to make sure that it’s working properly (i.e., only air is coming out and it’s coming out relatively smoothly).

Or use a Micro Fiber cloth. I got a couple of nice ones from the car parts store for about the cost of one can of air.