What's the best way to burn a DVD to multiple CDs?

vbimport

I have the Visual Studio .NET DVD which is about 4.2 GB and I want to split it and burn it on CDs (yeah I know it has a CD version too, but oh well:bigsmile: ) The best idea that I had so far was to store the files in the dvd as 700mb RAR archives (with no compression) and then burn each on a CD. But I figure that doing this takes so much extra time when I want to access the DVD from the CDs again (I’ll have to copy each and extract the archives :frowning: )

Just wondering, is there any simpler way to get around this? any way to simplify this? any tricks?:confused:

there’s no way around it. it’s designed to install from the dvd, so u’ll need the entire dvd image to be able to install it.

it installs totally to hard disk, and then you are done with it? never need the dvd again?

Originally posted by ckin2001
it installs totally to hard disk, and then you are done with it? never need the dvd again?
yeah but I dont want to copy the installed stuff. I was wondering if there is a better way to copy it to a CD :frowning:

AFAIK if you want to copy it you’ll need a DVD burner.

Why can’t you just make a diff directory for each cd that you have and copy them over? If you want the autorun feature then you can right click on it later and choose atuorun to run each individual cd. If it installs on auto from cd to cd, won’t it just prompt you to enter the location of the next cd or files its looking for? I don’t see why it would be a problem to just throw it onto a DVD-R.

@xtacydima

he needs it the other way around

he has a DVd, and want it splitted on cd’s

If you’re lucky, there are different directories on the DVD, each holding a program or part of VS .NET. If this is the case (wich I hardly doubt), you can extract them and put them on a disc, if you want to.

Another option is to make a ISO (or an other image format) of the DVD, rar it to 700MB spanned files and burn those… you could even Ghost it if you’d want to…

i was going to say - if you only need it for installing, by all means, iso the dvd, and rar it into cd sized pieces.

Originally posted by ckin2001
i was going to say - if you only need it for installing, by all means, iso the dvd, and rar it into cd sized pieces.
well yeah that’s what I was thinking to do, but I thought there might be a better (magical) way:bigsmile: I think I’ll have to do that

umm and what does it mean by “ghost” it?