Whats the best setting for TV playback

I am running dvdfab plat 5250 and am new to this. I am burning my dvd collection of several hundred to my vista PC. Objective is to burn a copy on hard drive and use my vist PC to playback movies on my 52in sony 1080p TV. I want to remove all the dvd case’s from my family room.

Question: Can someone tell me what the best settings are to rip the dvd. I want to also ensure i can easly cataloge the movies aka surf/review in media centre and or other library software.

Right now i am defaulting to DVD to Mobile Generic.avi.h264.audiocopy I’m not overly concerned with file size so anything 1-5gig is fine per movie.

Just want a great quality that i can play back on my tv. also want one video file to deal with no mulit vob’s since they dont catalog well.

[QUOTE=prat;2267108]I am running dvdfab plat 5250 and am new to this. I am burning my dvd collection of several hundred to my vista PC. Objective is to burn a copy on hard drive and use my vist PC to playback movies on my 52in sony 1080p TV. I want to remove all the dvd case’s from my family room.

Question: Can someone tell me what the best settings are to rip the dvd. I want to also ensure i can easly cataloge the movies aka surf/review in media centre and or other library software.

Right now i am defaulting to DVD to Mobile Generic.avi.h264.audiocopy I’m not overly concerned with file size so anything 1-5gig is fine per movie.

Just want a great quality that i can play back on my tv. also want one video file to deal with no mulit vob’s since they dont catalog well.[/QUOTE]

Most of this is easily answered, but first clarification is needed.

“I am burning my dvd collection of several hundred” (remember this comment)

“I’m not overly concerned with file size” (this, too)

“Just want a great quality” (the kicker…)

You’ll have to define 'great". For example, copying just the main film from a DVD will yield you a file of approx 3-4 GB (avg. of long and short films), and 500 of those will occupy approx 1.5 - 2 TB of HD space (on the basis that 1 TB=1,000 GB). But you will retain original DVD quality for picture and sound. One kind of “great”.

Or, you can rip main movies, convert to .avi format, and end up with a file approx .7-1.3 GB, using much less HD space, but picture and sound quality will suffer from that kind of compression and conversion.

On a limited budget, that kind of space saving could also be “great”.

What’s your definition?

OC

:slight_smile:

You have a superb TV. Don’t shortchange your viewing by feeding it inferior images to save a few GB of space. Hard drives are cheaper than they have ever been. While picture quallity is subjective, I would store the movies as DVD folders in the original format. Which I think is what O’Canada was driving at.

I am not concerned with the space, I have several 1tb drives that i want to port these onto. after spending 1000’s on dvd a couple hundred on hard drives is not and issue,
When you say dvd folders I assume you mean dvd folders as vob’s correct? I’m only copying the main movie.
Once i have them as VOB’s or dvd folders my only concern is finding movies quickly. when they are avi they are all in the same folder with movie titles but with VOB’s its seems harder to find thing, I’m still trying to figure out what catalog system i should use aka Media Centre, BeyondTV, AppleTV ect. If anyone has recommendations on a product that does an outstanding job cataloging video files let me know. Western Digital as a neat box (simular to appletv) that helps with some of this but its expensive.

Thanks

[QUOTE=prat;2267587]I am not concerned with the space, I have several 1tb drives that i want to port these onto. after spending 1000’s on dvd a couple hundred on hard drives is not and issue,
When you say dvd folders I assume you mean dvd folders as vob’s correct? I’m only copying the main movie.
Once i have them as VOB’s or dvd folders my only concern is finding movies quickly. when they are avi they are all in the same folder with movie titles but with VOB’s its seems harder to find thing, I’m still trying to figure out what catalog system i should use aka Media Centre, BeyondTV, AppleTV ect. If anyone has recommendations on a product that does an outstanding job cataloging video files let me know. Western Digital as a neat box (simular to appletv) that helps with some of this but its expensive.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your definition. It’s what I was hoping you’d say.

Whatever program you choose to do your catalogue, it shouldn’t make any difference to it whether you are listing individual (rather large) single VOB files, each one representing one film, or one major folder, representing all your movies, with individual sub-folders (each one representing one movie), with each of those movie folders further sub-divided into AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders (the same as your DVDs).

The only limiting factor there will be the program you use to play the films and display them on your TV.

A software DVD Player (such as Cyberlink, WinDVD, or somesuch), with a hardware output to your TV, will allow you to retain the original DVD file structure - and reduce the time and work you have to do to get it computer-ready.

The choice of cataloguing program is a pretty subjective one… and I’m not set up the way you are, and do my library differently, so I have no specific recommendation… just make sure your choice will allow the playing of catalogued items (or redirecting to a player) on your computer.

Others on this forum may do their library in a way similar to yours, and may have more specific ideas for you.

OC

:slight_smile:

let vista catalogue them for you & use the MMC +microsoft remote control interface. search the forum for how to enable vista DVD library on HD & for freeware to retrieve movie details. or see here http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Watch-DVDs-in-VIDEO_TS-folders-on-Vista-Media-Center.aspx
http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2518DD508BB713E8!143.entry
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/12/211911/ShowThread.aspx

Thanks this was great help and its working well. It cant find the odd title DVD details. Any help in how to enter the dvd cover image and details. The edit in MC only seems to allow you to update the title.

Otherwise things are going great. Im up to 52 movies with about 200 more to go, nice way to spend the next month. I get 4-10 done a day.

Glad to see that your project is underway. There is almost always someone in the forum who has solved anything related to DVDs. To answer your earlier question, I meant to store them as DVDs in VIDEO_TS folders and not to convert them to VOB/MPEG-2 files using VOB Passthrough. The size penalty is very small if you use Customize/No Menus or Main Movie but the files will retain DVD-llike features (e.g. selectable subtitles) that are not available if you use VOB Passthrough.

[QUOTE=prat;2270525]Thanks this was great help and its working well. It cant find the odd title DVD details. Any help in how to enter the dvd cover image and details. The edit in MC only seems to allow you to update the title.

Otherwise things are going great. Im up to 52 movies with about 200 more to go, nice way to spend the next month. I get 4-10 done a day.[/QUOTE]
Just find a suitable cover image e.g. at IMDB or amazon then save it as folder.jpg in the dvd folder ( not in the video_TS subfolder).
It must be called folder.jpg.
Then vista should pick it up automatically. you can enter other details manually via the dvd library program I think but it’s been a while since I used it.
It maybe easier to look at a full set of movie details for a different movie which are already on your HD - look for a .xml file with the details in.

• then copy & edit it for your new film details & pop it in the appropriate folder.
    DVDfab is supposed to also create an xml file but I never figuered who to do anything useful with its version.

DVDFab is creating the .xml file and its working for most movies. looks like WMC pulls the xml file and then connects via internet to AMB movie database to pull cover and details since WMC says the data is provided by AMB next to the dvd image. However some movies like Bruce Lee dont seem to have data or covers so I will have to do these manual. All my content is as Video_TS folders with VOB files within. All seems to be working well. I’ve stripped out all the preview and alt audio to keep the files sizes down since i dont ever use that content. My files are all 4-6gig so I assume they are full dvd quality.